Small tractors, and what to look for?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I've been considering a small sub compact tractor. Like most things there are multiple options and an overwhelming amount of information to absorb. That said, for those that own them, which brands offer the best features and value? FWIW, I'm looking to clear an acre of small cedars, most smaller than 6" across. I'll be hauling out the wood in a bucket and, if possible, pulling small stumps. It will also be used for mowing and landscaping a 1 acre yard.

These are some of the tractors I've looked at, but I can't pick a clear winner. What I do know is that ease of removing and installing attachments is important. Any help is appreciated!

https://www.tractor.com/news/5-of-the-best-sub-compact-tractors/

I would recommend avoiding New Holland.

I forget the model my dad has, its probably about 6 years old now and was bought new... but the amount of visits he makes to the dealer has gotten him to know the parts counter guy pretty damn well. and he began visiting the dealer fairly quickly into his ownership. New Holland parts are incredibly expensive for what they are and more often than not the one simple part you found that had failed may not be sold as a individual item and is only sold in a expensive kit containing parts you really dont need for the repair.

one part that comes to mind was a lost unique shaped spring required for the hood latch, the spring was not listed individually but only in a kit that included the whole hood latch assembly. additionally this spring wasn't something easily found at any hardware.

hydraulic hose fittings are pretty unique too, so essentially your looking at dealer supplied hoses... unless you have a pretty kick ass hydraulic hose shop in the near vicinity. from what I remember they use some sort of bastard fitting.

as for the Kubota my uncle owns, not one complaint in the 4 years of ownership.

Reactions: Blondie70 and Irun
I like Kubota...have used (and beat on them) extensively. John Deere is a runner up. They make a good machine, but green paint is more expensive than Orange.

Here is the deal with subcompacts though. Once you have one, instead of thinking, "Boy, that sure made my life easier", you think, "Man...I wish this thing had a bit more ass in it." At least I do. I've used a bunch of them, was thinking on buying one. I've used bigger tractors too (Dad has a 40 HP Kubota) and its no contest. The little tractor works...but it takes longer and doesn't do as good a job.

I rented a 25 HP Diesel kubota with a bucket and backhoe. It struggled to dig stumps, couldn't push em out and I felt like I was fighting the machine all weekend. It just didn't have the weight and power to really do what I wanted it too. That's my recommendation. Spend a couple hundred bucks and rent one. Do some of what you want it to do, and see what happens. You might also get lucky with a dealer demo day...

I am a Kubota fan boy!!!!! Normally you can zero down and zero interest through Kubota financial.

Be sure there is a dealer close by and also as already said, if you think you need 25hp get 35!!! If you think 35 then get 45, understand anything over 25hp will have DEF aftertreament on it.

Also it doesn't hurt them to run them at PTO rpms, that's what they are designed for.

I've been considering a small sub compact tractor. Like most things there are multiple options and an overwhelming amount of information to absorb. That said, for those that own them, which brands offer the best features and value? FWIW, I'm looking to clear an acre of small cedars, most smaller than 6" across. I'll be hauling out the wood in a bucket and, if possible, pulling small stumps. It will also be used for mowing and landscaping a 1 acre yard.

These are some of the tractors I've looked at, but I can't pick a clear winner. What I do know is that ease of removing and installing attachments is important. Any help is appreciated!

https://www.tractor.com/news/5-of-the-best-sub-compact-tractors/
You might want to consider a Reconditioned Grey Market tractor since it's for personal occasional use rather then commercial. I've been using my Yanmar Grey for about 5 months now and and it's been a pleasure to use. They are built of cast iron and steel and probably half the price. Upside is there are zero electronics to fail which is a big issue across the country now due to import issues with new tractors and parts, most dealers have nothing to sell.

Keep in mind that the average PTO horsepower requirements are about 5 HP per foot of mower, anything less is going to piss you off.

https://fredricksequipment.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Flair
You might want to consider a Reconditioned Grey Market tractor since it's for personal occasional use rather then commercial. I've been using my Yanmar Grey for about 5 months now and and it's been a pleasure to use. They are built of cast iron and steel and probably half the price. Upside is there are zero electronics to fail which is a big issue across the country now due to import issues with new tractors and parts, most dealers have nothing to sell.

https://fredricksequipment.com/
I used to import and sell the grey market Yanmars, they are one tuff tractor for sure. I would still buy a new tractor, the yanmar parts for the most part will have to be shipped in or you will get a used part. Trust me on this, the reason I stopped selling was due to Yanmar USA stopped selling me parts because they started importing New one for the USA again.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
I used to import and sell the grey market Yanmars, they are one tuff tractor for sure. I would still buy a new tractor, the yanmar parts for the most part will have to be shipped in or you will get a used part. Trust me on this, the reason I stopped selling was due to Yanmar USA stopped selling me parts because they started importing New one for the USA again

I used to import and sell the grey market Yanmars, they are one tuff tractor for sure. I would still buy a new tractor, the yanmar parts for the most part will have to be shipped in or you will get a used part. Trust me on this, the reason I stopped selling was due to Yanmar USA stopped selling me parts because they started importing New one for the USA again.
Parts are really not an issue at all and i've been able to get what I needed so far. It's actually all the new tractors with computers and sensors that that are experiencing major problems across the country. The part support for the Grey's is actually quite good and improving with several companies providing parts that ship from the USA. Also there were quite a few import Yanmars that had US versions which is the route I took getting a YM2310D that is basically the same as the US version YM276D.

I went into Tractor supply a few weeks ago to get some hitch pins and spotted replacement shift boots on the rack and surer then shit they had one labeled for my Yanmar.

We use a Kubota M4900 4X4 with loader at work for arena maintenance and loading a sander in the winter.
It 's been a reliable machine, that said it won't dig deep drifts or push deep snow as well as my 68 Ford 3400 4X2 loader did.

Be sure to bring enough Gun to the Gun fight !

Interested in this thread because we're building a house on 4.3 acres that are totally wooded and I've got years of clearing underbrush ahead of me and want to build an ATV track on it for the kids. My dad has had a couple of kubotas that he really liked.

Reactions: Irun
Interested in this thread because we're building a house on 4.3 acres that are totally wooded and I've got years of clearing underbrush ahead of me and want to build an ATV track on it for the kids. My dad has had a couple of kubotas that he really liked.
If at all possible have them clear every tree that could possibly reach the house if it falls. I put my last home on a 5 acre wooded lot and found this out the hard way, twice! :(

I have a Kioti 25hp CK2510 (clutch, not HST), it's a great little tractor and the dealer network is still fairly large. I've cleared my lot pretty well, had to get a friend to bring his big tractor to dig out the stumps though. I like the layout of the controls a little better than the other orange tractor.
I wouldn't rely on a tractor to mow grass, have a lawn mower for that, tractors are not very nimble for small acre mowing.
2DBABDB7-D5F9-4101-8D58-050D770DD552.jpeg
4B94E515-F938-4FF9-A71B-A185C90341D3.jpeg
5E48E11E-8297-4188-A30A-4B09F58C5678.jpeg

2DBABDB7-D5F9-4101-8D58-050D770DD552.jpeg

4B94E515-F938-4FF9-A71B-A185C90341D3.jpeg

If at all possible have them clear every tree that could possibly reach the house if it falls. I put my last home on a 5 acre wooded lot and found this out the hard way, twice! :(
Word. The land has a lot of topography (the contour lines in the image below are 10') so the first thing we did was clearing about a 70x70 spot (the red box-ish thing in the top corner) for the house just to see what we could build without bringing in dirt by the truckload. Still going to end up being a multi-level with a garage on the west side sunk a few feet down below the main level.

1633014313624.png

We'll do some more once the floor plan gets nailed down. Trying to maintain as much shade as possible in the back though so we have a chance of surviving in the summer. Back door faces south though, and wind is out of the north when trees fall around here, so this particular roll of the dice is rigged a little in my favor, though a risk is still present.

PXL_20210912_163649611.jpg

Word. The land has a lot of topography (the contour lines in the image below are 10') so the first thing we did was clearing about a 70x70 spot (the red box-ish thing in the top corner) for the house just to see what we could build without bringing in dirt by the truckload. Still going to end up being a multi-level with a garage on the west side sunk a few feet down below the main level.

View attachment 280411

We'll do some more once the floor plan gets nailed down. Trying to maintain as much shade as possible in the back though so we have a chance of surviving in the summer. Back door faces south though, and wind is out of the north when trees fall around here, so this particular roll of the dice is rigged a little in my favor, though a risk is still present.

View attachment 280380
Just do as much clearing as possible, saving the shade. I loved the privacy and trees, but dreaded every storm. Two trees fell on the house over a 15 year period. One punched a hole through the roof and the other took out the left rear corner of the house. If my daughter had been in her bedroom at the time, it likely would have been a much worse experience!

I grew up living in the "woods". It was nice, except for the bugs. When we cleared the land though, we cleared it. Mom and Dad had 10 acres, the house was a 2500 sq ft cape cod, and I bet we had an acre cleared, with the exception of two very straight, very healthy shade trees. The trees were mostly hardwood and over the years (where my tractor experience comes from) we cleared a lot of the softwood out. Poplar, Aspen, Birch.. All dangerous to structures.

The house my wife and I live in now had trees around it when we moved in. Big maple and oaks. Like old growth, 6-8' diameter trunk trees.

Over the years all of those trees have fallen or been taken out by me. The ones that have fallen were in the city easement (I live in town) so I couldn't do anything with them. One of them just missed my house but landed on a car in my driveway. The other took out the mast and power lines. Trees are a mixed blessing... The shade is nice, but you gotta maintain them or they can become pretty dangerous.

I have a 3616 Mahindra and have no complaints. It works hard! My only recommendation, get more tractor than you think you need. Just like a shop, you'll outgrow it sooner than you think.

20160619-151402.jpg

20170904-142849.jpg

20180418-160833.jpg

20180628-194751.jpg

Finish mower, flail mower, box blade, it does a lot for 36hp.

And A/C with tinted windows, changes the game!