Small trailer for my Jeep

kasparsport

My buddies parents moved into a house with a small utility trailer In the backyard,,he gave it to me I spruced it up a bit, but in NY u need to register trailers.. There are no #s or titles..or any way to get a hold of original owners... Before I go to DMV and their BS, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?? Thanks.
515c297ee4442b3ab181dac7efb34b6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's different from state-to-state, but I am pretty sure if a trailer is under a certain size / weight, you don't need a license plate or anything for it.

Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in, but that is my understanding. Again, I think it varies by state and location.

Yeah, I believe in NY (where they rob, and nickel and dime ya to death) that any size u need it registered.. And depending how big u insurance is also involved

Yep, that would make sense in NY. I just checked the laws in Oregon and it states this:

You do not have to register a light trailer (which includes a utility, boat, or horse trailer) or obtain a trip permit to operate it on the road if the trailer, plus the heaviest load carried, weighs 1,800 pounds or less. However, you may wish to obtain a title for your trailer because most law enforcement agencies and insurance companies want to see proof of ownership if it is ever stolen. All trailers used on the road must be equipped to meet safety standards; see ODOT's Vehicle Equipment and Safety page for more information.

I don't even mind registering it... It's just that I know it's gonna be a major headache with no proof of ownership.. I will prob end up not even doing it and just ride it and take my chances

Reactions: Chris
Check with your MVD, or what ever it's called in NY, and ask if you can register it as a home built. If you can, I'm sure it will require an inspection. The MVD should be able to give you a list of required equipment such as safety chains. After it passes they will issue you a vin so you can register it.
Check it out, it may be easier than you think.
Many people weld their own trailer frame. There has to be a procedure to register something like that.

Reactions: Chris
Should be no problem claiming that you made it yourself. I've done it more than once here in Ohio. You'll just have to get it weighed.

They did away with trailer titles in NJ all you need is a notarized statement from the original owner, but they still have to be registered. No additional insurance though as it's covered under the car insurance.