Smaller Diameter Rear Shocks

Mark K

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Howdy. Things are tight in my TJ's back end. GenRight extended range tank, larger cast iron diff cover (diff turned up to match angle with the double cardan rear shaft), Banks Monster exhaust. I've just found that the Banks pipe is too close to my right rear Rancho RS55240 shock. A smaller diameter shock would help. I like the Rancho ride, going with the H&R springs. Can any of y'all recommend a smaller shock?

Mumblewood

TJ Enthusiast
Shave the exhaust where it hits, take that part you shaved, flip it inside out and re weld it back into place, that’s what I did with my spintech, it worked

L J

lightbars before lockers
Supporting Member
Demvu2fWsAM06mh.jpeg

TJ Jim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I’ve got the Jeep with three cats. To get my tailpipe off the shock I loosened the two bolts just aft of the cat, stuck a 2”x4” between the shock and the tailpipe, and tightened the two bolts back up. Problem solved in ten minutes. Don’t know if your year Jeep has the same ability somewhere along the exhaust pipe?

Reactions: SvtLdr

97TJNM

High Desert Redneck
Supporting Member
My exhaust was touching the plastic dust boot/shield thing on my Rancho shock after my lift. Cut the boot off with my pocket knife, no more interference.

Reactions: TJ Jim
OP
Mark K

Mark K

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
BlackMax shocks are smaller and can be run inverted if desired.

I’ve got the Jeep with three cats. To get my tailpipe off the shock I loosened the two bolts just aft of the cat, stuck a 2”x4” between the shock and the tailpipe, and tightened the two bolts back up. Problem solved in ten minutes. Don’t know if your year Jeep has the same ability somewhere along the exhaust pipe?

Solid info, gents, thanks much.

DougyintheBushies

TJ Enthusiast
I’m not exactly pleased with my Ranchos ride quality. I know they are better than the clapped out p. o’’s RC shocks they replaced but I wished I went with black max.