Smith & Wesson 500: The Gun That Has As Much Firepower As a Rifle

It's the "perfect" home defense weapon

PhonePics 289.JPG

I know nothing about the .500 at all, so excuse any ignorance on my part.

No such thing as overkill. The .500 is great for all big game, including African animals that will eat or stomp you. It can be loaded light or like a sledge hammer.

Reactions: Chris
Reactions: Squatch and StG58
I came so close to buying an S&W 500, just because. No other reason than to know I own something that insane (for me, anyway). There's a local guy who has two, one having a ridiculously short barrel for the caliber (custom?). Anyway, he spent a few hours firing both with some buddies, and ended up with hairline fractures in some bones in his right hand. Maybe he embellished a little on the story, and maybe he didn't. All I know is that those revolvers are a helluva conversation piece, if nothing else!

Reactions: Chris
So, I just had to go out and look. Thanks @Rob5589, just thanks a lot...

Big Horn Amory makes that lever gun (Model 1888 / 1892, my favorites) in .454 Casull (shoots .45 Colt, my favorite) in stainless steel (need that for around here) with nice wood furniture (once again, my favorite) and an 18" barrel (fits very nicely in a TJ). I really didn't need to see that, ya'know?

Reactions: Rob5589

Big Horn Amory makes that lever gun (Model 1888 / 1892, my favorites) in .454 Casull (shoots .45 Colt, my favorite) in stainless steel (need that for around here) with nice wood furniture (once again, my favorite) and an 18" barrel (fits very nicely in a TJ). I really didn't need to see that, ya'know?
Welcome! I love spending other people's money :D

Reactions: StG58

To be honest, I didn't even look at the price of the Big Horn until a few minutes ago. HOLY SHEEIT! 2700 is the base price. Hell no. Not when the 45/70 is available in various rifles for far cheaper. And you can load the 45/70 HEAVY if you wanna. Sure, it ain't .50 cal but who cares at that point.

Reactions: StG58