Smittybilt strikes again

Damn I recently bought one of their rear bumpers and tire carrier - got delivered today. I'm a decent hobbyists mig welder, and so would normally have built my own, but lately too short on time. Well, I guess if it is lacking in some area, I can modify with extra bracing.
I have an XRC bumper and tire carrier. I will go against the flow here and say that I think the quality is excellent. The steel is 3/16 inch, the powder coating is excellent (and has held up now for 4 years), it has substantial frame ties, it does not squeak or rattle, the recovery eyelets are substantial and welded front and rear, the tire swing pivot adjusts for latch height and is braced internally, and the tire mount is adjustable for tire size. Geeze, what’s not to like? I know it is popular to bash everything Smittybilt here, but I think this gets in the way of serious review. Yeah, I know it is made in China. So what isn’t these days?

Reactions: Squatch
And my shrockworks sliders. I'm hesitant to even buy a smittybuilt cargo net (who can mess that up?) Because of what poor quality everything they make is.

When I see a jeep with smitty, or rough country all that says to me is if there was a cheaper option, they would have bought it.
Now whenever I peruse Craigslist, I cannot help but lose some interest in a rig when I see either of those two products on the vehicle. If it's one or two items, then perhaps I continue to look it over without passing judgement on it or the individual who built it. However, if I see the thing is laden down with their products, and the individual is quite proud of his creation, then I can't help but feel that the "builder" would have benefited immensely from the information contained within this forum. God knows the forum members have helped me spend my money, but at least it's been on some quality stuff, and not something I'm going to regret once it finally leaves the garage. ;)

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Now whenever I peruse Craigslist, I cannot help but lose some interest in a rig when I see either of those two products on the vehicle. If it's one or two items, then perhaps I continue to look it over without passing judgement on it or the individual who built it. However, if I see the thing is laden down with their products, and the individual is quite proud of his creation, then I can't help but feel that the "builder" would have benefited immensely from the information contained within this forum. God knows the forum members have helped me spend my money, but at least it's been on some quality stuff, and not something I'm going to regret once it finally leaves the garage. ;)

jeep stuff is expensive. Good jeep stuff is really expensive. But smittybuilt attracts the look over function crowd. I don't get it, why would they be so proud of that garbage suspension that a 48" rough country sticker on the windshield seems like a good idea? Blows my mind.

If I was shopping and I saw a smitty dressed rig, I'd wonder what else the owner cheaped out on or bought bottom barrel quality products.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Squatch
I love Facebook. I have several Facebook Groups that I administer (jeeps, motorcycles, photography, travel, family). there is no crazy stuff in my groups. I find it easy to ignore the political stuff on my news feed except when i want to say something (who EVER changed their mind because of Facebook?). :) I fell in to Facebook because it is so easy to post while you are on the road. It's also free. I don't care about their business plan unless they want to take my guns. Search engines are not what they used to be. Mostl search engines are driven by advertising and want to be exclusive. You see similar behavior in a LOT of forums now. Many forums will not allow a post that refers you to another site. Many forums are corporate sponsored. Facebook crazies are easily blocked or ignored.

Reactions: abart and Locky
I have an XRC bumper and tire carrier. I will go against the flow here and say that I think the quality is excellent. The steel is 3/16 inch, the powder coating is excellent (and has held up now for 4 years), it has substantial frame ties, it does not squeak or rattle, the recovery eyelets are substantial and welded front and rear, the tire swing pivot adjusts for latch height and is braced internally, and the tire mount is adjustable for tire size. Geeze, what’s not to like? I know it is popular to bash everything Smittybilt here, but I think this gets in the way of serious review. Yeah, I know it is made in China. So what isn’t these days?
Let me translate that for you into what I heard.

I'm not very well versed in the history of companies and products, nor do I wish to be. As a result of that indifference I am not aware that Currie Enterprises used to have a local US high quality sheetmetal and fabrication shop make their rear bumper and tire carrier. Smittybilt purchased one, sent it to China and had it run through the copy machine and brought back to the US offroad market for 1/3 the price of the Currie version. The result of that was two-fold. It looked like the Currie in appearance only and was terrible quality. The other part is it effectively put Currie out of the armor and bumper business.

As for your "what isn't made in China" justification, really?

I have the XRC bumper and tire carrier too (back before I knew any better). The finish has held up pretty well in the 5 years I have owned it. Though I cant wait to trash the damn thing. The latch seeps in water and will rust. The carrier literally sleeves over a surface mounted post on the bumper. It rattles, it wiggles, it squeaks.

But it did have frame tie ins :)

Reactions: Allstar424
I have the XRC bumper and tire carrier too (back before I knew any better). The finish has held up pretty well in the 5 years I have owned it. Though I cant wait to trash the damn thing. The latch seeps in water and will rust. The carrier literally sleeves over a surface mounted post on the bumper. It rattles, it wiggles, it squeaks.

But it did have frame tie ins :)
Your review wasn't glowing enough to be serious.

Yawn, Years ago, when all I cared about was motorcycles, i was able to post ride pics real time from the top of a mountain in Colorado on Facebook. I liked it.