Smittybilt tow bar

Sandcrab

Supporting Member
Anyone here ever flat tow with a Smittybilt tow bar. Thinking about buying on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I have never flat towed. What didn't you like about.
Plenty of people flat-tow their TJs without problem. You only need magnetic tail lights, shift the transfer case into Neutral, and the transmission into Neutral or into any forward gear to prevent it from being spun without adequate lubrications.

No real issues, more of a preference. I think the main issue I had was not being able to back up unless having someone with me.

I have the Curt bar which is about the same. It works fine. I installed the Hopkins wiring kit for the brake lights. It was simple and easy to install. For braking I have a brake buddy. It keeps me legal but isn't the greatest system for actual braking power. I drive it real careful when using it. I've used the tow setup a few times but also am not a fan. For longer trips I just rent a trailer.

No real issues, more of a preference. I think the main issue I had was not being able to back up unless having someone with me.

Ok well I think I'm going to try it. Did you have brake activator for your tow vehicle. Do I really need it.

I don't have one for the Jeep, in Ca you do need one, not sure about other states. I think it's like 2k and brakes are required. Not 100%

I have the Curt bar which is about the same. It works fine. I installed the Hopkins wiring kit for the brake lights. It was simple and easy to install. For braking I have a brake buddy. It keeps me legal but isn't the greatest system for actual braking power. I drive it real careful when using it. I've used the tow setup a few times but also am not a fan. For longer trips I just rent a trailer.

Thanks for the reply. Going to be pulling 500 miles one way. May have to look into this a little more. I would have to rent a trailer

Plenty of people flat-tow their TJs without problem. You only need magnetic tail lights, shift the transfer case into Neutral, and the transmission into Neutral or into any forward gear to prevent it from being spun without adequate lubrications.

What about brake system. Thoughts

I'm pretty sure here in Texas it is over 4500# you need brakes, so with a TJ you are under that limit. I doubt anyone is going to weigh you and with a class A you won't even know that thing is back there

Thanks for the information

Reactions: 06lj
Ok well I think I'm going to try it. Did you have brake activator for your tow vehicle. Do I really need it.

Where will you be flat towing? In most states, a towed vehicle the weight of a TJ requires supplemental braking by statute. While Texas may have a 4,500# limit, each of the states surrounding Texas have a 3,000# limit. Also, it is actual weight rather than published curb weight.

Some may tell you that laws are for sissies, but they will be long gone if and when something goes wrong.

I use a RVi brake system. Here is my flat tow "shopping list:"

Sourced from e-trailer.com:

Roadmaster High-Low Adapter for Tow Bars - 2" Hitches - 10 1/4" Rise/Drop
11-1/4" Long – 10,000# GTW 400# TW P/N RM-048-10

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar
Motorhome Mount - 2" Hitch - 12" shank - 6,000 lbs. P/N RM-522

Adapter for Jeep D-Ring Bumper Mounts to Roadmaster Motor Home Mount Tow Bars
3/4" Thick P/N RM-035

7-Wire to 6-Wire Coiled-to-Straight Cord for Roadmaster Tow Bars
8' Long P/N RM-1676-7

CE Smith Tie-Down Bracket for Boat Trailers
Galvanized Steel - Bolt On, 2 ea., P/N CE26214G
[Used for safety chain attachment points on jeep]

Roadmaster Tow Bar Cover P/N RM-055-3
[Unnecessary, but it allows me to keep the tow bar on the motorhome out of the weather

Sourced on Amazon.com:

Roadmaster 76" Single Hook, Straight Safety Cables
8,000 lbs P/N RM-645-76 [Also available from etrailer.com.]

Sourced on E-Bay:

Previously owned RVi3 Supplemental Brake System with Command Center and 6-tire Tire Patrol.

Sourced locally:

Magnetic Trailer Lights [already on hand in my trailer tow kit]
Hitch pins and clips
Miscellaneous hardware

Last edited:
I have flat towed for about 40k miles so far with no problems. My setup is very similar to Mr. Bills although my lights are wired in.

IMG_0046.jpeg