Smittybuilt vs Rock Crawler

I've never heard of Rock Crawler, but I can tell you that there's a reason Smittybilt is called shitty built.

The issue I have with Smittybilt is the thin pop can metal (or whatever it is) that they make their parts from. They rust through so easy it's ridiculously. It's true what they say though, you get what you pay for.

Smittybilt stuff will work if you're on a budget, but if you plan on keeping the Jeep for a long, long time, invest in something higher quality (i.e. Savvy).

I've never heard of Rock Crawler, but I can tell you that there's a reason Smittybilt is called shitty built.

The issue I have with Smittybilt is the thin pop can metal (or whatever it is) that they make their parts from. They rust through so easy it's ridiculously. It's true what they say though, you get what you pay for.

Smittybilt stuff will work if you're on a budget, but if you plan on keeping the Jeep for a long, long time, invest in something higher quality (i.e. Savvy).
This is why I ask! Thank you

Reactions: Chris
Smittybuilt. It's thick and heavy. Rated 5,000lbs towing.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Everything I have owned that has been Smittybuilt has been poor quality. It looks great, but doesn't line up correctly, breaks quicker than other products, etc. my experience is with their soft top (seams ripped), fender flares (broke and was ripped off by heavy wind), and my TJ has one of their rear bumpers (metal on mine is very thin). I've replaced the fender flares with bushwhacker ones and have a warn bumper on the front. I'll replace the rear one with a warn when I can afford to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything I have owned that has been Smittybuilt has been poor quality. It looks great, but doesn't line up correctly, breaks quicker than other products, etc. my experience is with their soft top (seams ripped), fender flares (broke and was ripped off by heavy wind), and my TJ has one of their rear bumpers (metal on mine is very thin). I've replaced the fender flares with bushwhacker ones and have a warn bumper on the front. I'll replace the rear one with a warn when I can afford to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for honesty. Is it a bad idea to get the rear bumper with the hitch built into it?

Thank you for honesty. Is it a bad idea to get the rear bumper with the hitch built into it?

You'll be fine. The only thing you'll find is that it won't last as long as a high quality American made bumper (something made of high quality metal). I also find for whatever reason that Smittybilt is extremely prone to rust issues.

Seriously though, if you're on a budget it will do!

It is actually a very good idea to get a rear bumper with an integrated trailer hitch, I've been running one for nearly 20 years. Check out http://www.thedirtworx.com/#!bumpers/c1qjq who makes excellent low-cost high-quality bumpers right here in the U.S.. I have run his rear bumpers with integrated receiver hitches on both of my TJs.

Yes, what Jerry said is true. A rear bumper with integrated receiver hitch is a very good idea.

It is actually a very good idea to get a rear bumper with an integrated trailer hitch, I've been running one for nearly 20 years. Check out http://www.thedirtworx.com/#!bumpers/c1qjq who makes excellent low-cost high-quality bumpers right here in the U.S.. I have run his rear bumpers with integrated receiver hitches on both of my TJs.
Ok I will check his out. Next question is it necessary to have the rear bumper with the spare tire pole? Will the spare not fit with the other?

Do you mean Rock Krawler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
I'm sorry. I am new to this stuff and thought that was a brand. Guess it isn't after all. One I was looking at just said Rock Crawler. Now I see, it's not a brand.Just looking for something decent w/o breaking the bank and that isn't pure junk.

I'm sorry. I am new to this stuff and thought that was a brand. Guess it isn't after all. One I was looking at just said Rock Crawler. Now I see, it's not a brand.Just looking for something decent w/o breaking the bank and that isn't pure junk.
It's OK, there are so many brands out there that i wouldn't be surprised if there was both.

I always recommend something besides SB. But at the end of the day it's what fits your needs and budget.

I'm one of the few who has actually been lucky with the quality of their Smittybilt products. I have the Smittybilt tube fenders and rear corner armor, as well as the Smittybilt X20-8 winch. I've been running these products for 5 or more years. One common complaint is the powder coat quality on Smittybilt products. Mine have never flaked, chipped, etc. even after serious scrapes and rock crawling. I have had to replace the wired winch remote ($25) but has otherwise been fine and not let me down.

So, if you're on a budget, and depending on your intended use, you may just be fine with Smittybilt. That said, had I had a more sizeable budget at the time, I would've preferred to go with another vendor known for their quality, such as Poison Spyder Customs, Genright, MetalCloak, etc.

Reactions: Chris and Mopar7014
Sorry. I'm a girl :rolleyes:
It's whatever came stock in them. Not anything bigger. It's not here at the moment for me to see.
Thanks for your help