SMORR Seymour Missouri Trip 5/10/2020

AMS417

"The Ayatollah of rock and rolla"
Supporting Member
Awesome day at SMORR today in Seymour Missouri. I was able to get two Jeep Badge of Honor badges, Peewees Crossing (not difficult), and Guardrail (moderate). Trails rated 1-6 difficulty. We stuck to 3-4 rated trails mainly. Most of the 6’s I couldn’t even walk up, rocker bouncer stuff or big tire crawlers only. Nothing broke, didn’t need the winch at all even though I did get high centered several times. Backing up and picking another line worked every time, awesome day. If you get a chance to check this place out, do it. It’s pretty nice, well marked trails and a good map. We gave the lockers a good workout today.

IMG_6745.JPEG

The highlight of the day was rescuing a broken JK that had been there over night. No start, no dash lights throwing every code in the book on the scanner. Owner was about to throw in the towel as several people had looked at it and he was ready to drop $400 on a tow truck as a last resort. My buddy Steve found the problem. His drag link clamp was clocked in the up position and was hitting the frame on the passenger side rail. It pinched his wiring harness in half. I spent 30 mins splicing and taping it back together to get him home. Zip tied it out of the way and it fired right up with no more trouble codes. He was pretty appreciative, and it felt good to fixing someone else's broken Jeep for a change. Glad I carry some tools, and some tape.

What I found:

IMG_5485.JPG

How I left it after liberal application of electrical tape and zip ties. i turned the clamp to about 9 o'clock to prevent a repeat performance:

IMG_5483.JPG

An excellent way to spend Mothers Day with my wife, and it was her idea!

Awesome day at SMORR today in Seymour Missouri. I was able to get two Jeep Badge of Honor badges, Peewees Crossing (not difficult), and Guardrail (moderate). Trails rated 1-6 difficulty. We stuck to 3-4 rated trails mainly. Most of the 6’s I couldn’t even walk up, rocker bouncer stuff or big tire crawlers only. Nothing broke, didn’t need the winch at all even though I did get high centered several times. Backing up and picking another line worked every time, awesome day. If you get a chance to check this place out, do it. It’s pretty nice, well marked trails and a good map. We gave the lockers a good workout today.

View attachment 160290

The highlight of the day was rescuing a broken JK that had been there over night. No start, no dash lights throwing every code in the book on the scanner. Owner was about to throw in the towel as several people had looked at it and he was ready to drop $400 on a tow truck as a last resort. My buddy Steve found the problem. His drag link clamp was clocked in the up position and was hitting the frame on the passenger side rail. It pinched his wiring harness in half. I spent 30 mins splicing and taping it back together to get him home. Zip tied it out of the way and it fired right up with no more trouble codes. He was pretty appreciative, and it felt good to fixing someone else's broken Jeep for a change. Glad I carry some tools, and some tape.

What I found:

View attachment 160291

How I left it after liberal application of electrical tape and zip ties. i turned the clamp to about 9 o'clock to prevent a repeat performance:

View attachment 160292

An excellent way to spend Mothers Day with my wife, and it was her idea!
Second time I’ve heard about this. A JK had to be dragged out of the Rubicon for the same reason. Wonder if it’s the lift or the shop instal?

Second time I’ve heard about this. A JK had to be dragged out of the Rubicon for the same reason. Wonder if it’s the lift or the shop instal?

Both in my opinion. Needed more bump stop to limit travel to prevent contact between the drag link and the frame. Also the position of the clamps on the drag link caused it to smash the wiring harness that was ran along the frame rail. I went to the guys house and fixed his wiring more permanently with solder and heat shrink. Re did the loom and taped it up nice. Added zip ties to keep the harness up away from the suspension, and recommended he add 1/2 to 3/4" bump stop to limit contact. Went back to SMORR and had a full day beating on the jeep. No more wires pinched, but he still hasn't added any bump stop. I told him if he breaks it again in the same spot, I'm not fixing it for free.

Reactions: John Cooper
Man I’m looking forward to hitting that trail,

I’ll probably have to correct my wire bundles though since I was hoping to blow the Jeep apart since the engine swap. I put it together without actually protecting the wiring harnesses.