Snap ring pliers for Johnny Joints?

CovertRat

I am in the process of removing a broken zerk fitting on Savvy Johnny Joint. I have gone through two cheap sets of snap ring pliers and what I thought might be a decent set. These rings are bigger/stiffer than any I’ve ever dealt with. I need a ring pliers that will not break/deform so I can get this ring out. I saw that harbor freight has a solid looking set. Any other suggestions? I really think I need a solid set and not these types that swap parts around for different rings.

I use some Knipex brand snap ring pliers at work. They are a smaller size and not used on snap rings anywhere near the size of one on a Johnny joint, but they feel solid when using them. I would imagine a bigger version would as well. They are a good quality name, but can be pricey.

Are you using the rebuild tool to take the pressure of the snap ring before trying to remove it? I have only done this once for the same reason and had no issues with my pair of channellocks.

Funny enough though, what I thought was a broken zerk in my trackbar was actually a recessed hex cap screw.

Reactions: Daryl
The rent a bay shop I used to do the SYE had a set of duck bill snap ring pliers. Way better then the set I’ve been using. I’m about to go buy another a set because it made it so easy to remove install the snap ring.

Ive been having problems with those because all the rings I’ve been coming across lately are just V-cut.

those styles work great when the snap ring has the hoop at the end. Got busy at work. I was searching for a set of duck bills before I got busy

30051B70-AEAD-442D-A00D-4B6494CD7405.png

After searching an image of the Johnny joint, I see they do have the snap rings with the holes at the end.

I just happen to be taking my transfer case apart again to fix the leak.

If you do manage to remove the snap ring, you will have a heck of a time getting the snapring back on unless you devise a tool to relieve the preload. A vise and some well choosen sockets/pipe can get it done, but it won't be pretty.

Reactions: alittleoff
Let me clarify that I used a JJ tool in addition to the snap ring pliers above. It would be near impossible to remove the snap ring and reinstall it without the pressure on it from the joint relieved.

20191125_162112_HDR.jpg

I do have the JJ tools ordered (2” and 2.5”). As of now I have rigged together temporary to remove the one ring. I have been hesitant to get the “channelock” brand pliers because of what happened to the other ones similar I have used. Different brand but same design, they twisted out. I may go ahead and get those and try them. I saw them at Lowe’s today.

These are the ones I was referencing At harbor freight. Thought they might be stronger being a solid piece.
https://www.harborfreight.com/precision-snap-ring-pliers-8-pc-63841.html

I do have the JJ tools ordered (2” and 2.5”). As of now I have rigged together temporary to remove the one ring. I have been hesitant to get the “channelock” brand pliers because of what happened to the other ones similar I have used. Different brand but same design, they twisted out. I may go ahead and get those and try them. I saw them at Lowe’s today.

These are the ones I was referencing At harbor freight. Thought they might be stronger being a solid piece.
https://www.harborfreight.com/precision-snap-ring-pliers-8-pc-63841.html
Regarding Channelock and similar design, I used these red ones from Autozone for all of 10 minutes before I threw them across the garage in complete disgust as they kept losing grip of the snap ring. I then bought the Channelocks from Lowe's and didn't lose grip on a single snap ring. Seemingly same design but much higher quality of material and tool assembly with the Channelock.

20191125_163533.jpg

Reactions: CovertRat
I know I've seen it in a recent thread and now can't find it, but I'm looking for the correct knipex pliers to use on the 2" johnny joints for the UCAs. The pliers I have are straight, and the nibs on the end are too big to fit into the holes at any angle but perfectly straight on, which I can't get on the axle end joints because the springs are in the way. So I'd prefer something 90 degree and small enough to work for UCAs, but would be nice if still robust enough for the LCAs as well.

I know I've seen it in a recent thread and now can't find it, but I'm looking for the correct knipex pliers to use on the 2" johnny joints for the UCAs. The pliers I have are straight, and the nibs on the end are too big to fit into the holes at any angle but perfectly straight on, which I can't get on the axle end joints because the springs are in the way. So I'd prefer something 90 degree and small enough to work for UCAs, but would be nice if still robust enough for the LCAs as well.

I know for sure I used the bottom pair (48 21 J31) for the lower control arms. I'm pretty sure I used the top pair (48 21 J21) for the upper control arms. I tried to see if I could get them in the snap rings just now, but there wasn't room. The pins look to be the same size as the snap ring hole.

IMG_7051.JPG

I know for sure I used the bottom pair (48 21 J31) for the lower control arms. I'm pretty sure I used the top pair (48 21 J21) for the upper control arms. I tried to see if I could get them in the snap rings just now, but there wasn't room. The pins look to be the same size as the snap ring hole.

View attachment 447985

Thanks for checking! So neither one would fit?

Thats what I found with my pair. I know I've taken apart the other joints with the same pliers, but they were all on my kitchen table and I remember the pins just barely grabbed. I couldn't get anything on them at all today under the rig....of course the rings face out toward the springs instead of in toward each other where I'd have all the room in the world.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Thanks for checking! So neither one would fit?

Thats what I found with my pair. I know I've taken apart the other joints with the same pliers, but they were all on my kitchen table and I remember the pins just barely grabbed. I couldn't get anything on them at all today under the rig....of course the rings face out toward the springs instead of in toward each other where I'd have all the room in the world.

I couldn’t get the pliers on the snap rings with the control arms on the Jeep. The sides of the control arm mounts were in the way. I could almost angle it in there on one of them but just didn’t have the clearance to get them in.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low