Snatch straps / kinetic ropes: have you all got one?

JoshNZ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I see too many videos of people using chains, tow ropes, tie down straps etc to recover vehicles.
The most recent was on "Faster with Finnegan" when the Jeep needs to tug the Blazer out of a small bog up a hill. They're using a tie down strap. You'd assume people like that to know better (and have better gear)

For my sanity, assure me you all have proper rope/straps for recovery?
On this side of the world (somehow, but fortunately) snatch straps are so common even the average beach goer will have a "snatch strap" aka a kinetic strap.

Do you carry one? I assume most people here are sensible and well informed, so if not, why? What alternative is more common in the US?

Reactions: Chris
We carry the correct type of recovery straps (and winches) for what we do in our neighborhood, rock-crawling.. snatch-straps dont work well in that situation..

I love watching the kids on youtube using a regular tow-strap like a snatch-strap and not knowing the difference.. Hilarity and carnage is always guaranteed and it makes for some great entertainment.

Got it, I guess that was what I was referring to with my last part, I cant see them working well in the rocks!

Great entertainment alright. I'm just surprise that half the population lives in snowy climates, yet I've never seen someone easily pull a car out of a ditch with the right gear. It's always violent, destructive, rigid chains or ropes!
Maybe the boring and safe recoveries don't make for good videos

Got it, I guess that was what I was referring to with my last part, I cant see them working well in the rocks!

Great entertainment alright. I'm just surprise that half the population lives in snowy climates, yet I've never seen someone easily pull a car out of a ditch with the right gear. It's always violent, destructive, rigid chains or ropes!
Maybe the boring and safe recoveries don't make for good videos
I use them in the rocks to tow others out. The elasticity helps buffer the jarring jolts etc.

Reactions: NOTNSUV and JoshNZ
Only been doing this for a year, but I've only ever used a kinetic rope to pull someone, and only ever seen them used by others as well... snow, mud, rocks... regardless of terrain.

I carry and ARB snatch strap along with my winch. I'm brand new at using them though so I know I've got a hell of a lot to learn!

I cant remember what mine are, but I have two 3"x30' (or maybe its 4") kinetic ropes that I use. One I bought years ago and it sat in my tool box as a "just in case". The second one I found in a connex box at a site in Nebraska that was slated to be trashed. The rope was just a bit dirty was all.

A buddy bought me a nice ARB strap after I towed his JK about 10 miles on Drummond due to his clutch being packed full of mud.

I’ve had my ARB snatch strap for 10+ years and it works great in the sloppy mud that we have around here. Pulled a diesel Ford dually out of the muck in the pasture earlier this week with it. Granted, he wasn’t sitting on the frame just yet but I still felt proud of my little TJ.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Which snatch ropes do people recommend. . . ?

I use this kinetic recovery rope from TRE:

IMG_4925-e1538087952803.jpg

https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product/kinetic-energy-recovery-rope-tre-krr-2/
I also carry a "Brand X" traditional 3"x 30' 30,000# tow strap similar to this:

nt_2_recovery-strap-sb-cc220-m_7750.15719366094359.jpg

TRE snatch rope, actual tow strap, tree strap, soft shackles, bow shackles, snatch block, bag is heavy, have never used any of it, hope I never do but sure nice to know its there
Got tired of opening the back or side of the XJ to get recovery gear out. I've used it a ton in the past year. This $50 bag holds it all with room to spare and provides easy access. Kinetic x 2, tree saver, bow shackles, soft shackles. choker, tow strap, wheel chocks, etc... and can swap over the the LJR fairly quickly.

Most of my stuff is Master Pull. Just happened to be what I found at the time several years ago.

Recovery Bag.jpg

I've used chains for years, I was always gentle and took my time. Never broke anything. Last year I pulled my niece's car out of a snow drift without any issues. Then a week later learned about Yankum Rope. Ordered one with a couple of soft shackles, I haven't needed it this year. I am curious to try it, it looks like it'll be safer than chains - this is the primary reason I bought it.

I've used chains for years, I was always gentle and took my time. Never broke anything. Last year I pulled my niece's car out of a snow drift without any issues. Then a week later learned about Yankum Rope. Ordered one with a couple of soft shackles, I haven't needed it this year. I am curious to try it, it looks like it'll be safer than chains - this is the primary reason I bought it.
You'll look back in wonder.:D

Reactions: PickeringFarms