• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

So Far Not Impressed with Johnny Joints

OP
taylormade73

taylormade73

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Entirely possible with that grease.
Is it also possible or likely that a shop added some shitty grease to the joints and fucked up the good grease? I think 4WP may have greased them when they did my regear even though I didn't ask them too. This is what the rear uppers looked like when disassembled. The grease is very dry and clumpy. I turned/hidden the zerk fittings upward or inward into their respective mounting brackets in an effort to make them inaccessible to prevent that very thing. I know if I do my own work I don't have to worry about another shop fucking up my shit, but there are a few things I don't have time to do. With that said i do most of my own work.

20191130_234318.jpg

20191130_234323_HDR.jpg

20191201_005657_HDR.jpg

Blackjack

TJ Enthusiast
Well that is not pretty at all. I would be curious what grease they used as it looks like it could be a compatibility breakdown.

Reactions: taylormade73
OP
taylormade73

taylormade73

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Grease is a grease, never heard of a bad grease
Not "bad" grease, rather grease designed for other applications or multi-purpose grease not particularly suited for this use, which would make it "shitty" grease for this application-specifically JJs. High Moly grease is recommended, and I'm pretty sure 4WP is not buying and using $15/tube grease that's for a specific purpose.

mrblaine

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Grease is a grease, never heard of a bad grease
Use some high moly content in your rear driveshaft u-joints. It won't take long before you think it is a bad grease. Moly is a high load low speed grease. In high speed applications like driveshafts which turn about 4 times as fast as CV joints at the wheels, the moly gets sheared and turns abrasive. Use the right grease for the job and it all works better.

mrblaine

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Not "bad" grease, rather grease designed for other applications or multi-purpose grease not particularly suited for this use, which would make it "shitty" grease for this application-specifically JJs. High Moly grease is recommended, and I'm pretty sure 4WP is not buying and using $15/tube grease that's for a specific purpose.
I don't know what's going on, I just know it isn't normal. All the new joints I take apart are clearly lubed with a smooth high moly content grease.

eastbloc

Thank you for schooling me, gonna go check my supply now :-/

Some of this things just mind blows me. I remember as a kid walking into someones yard with my grandpa and seeing a semi, tractor and a sedan with a bucket of general purpose grease in the middle, made some time after ww2. Back in Soviet Union there were no high or low quality, everything was "general purpose". All three were greased from the same bucket. After 60 years of explotation, all 3 are still on the road or in the field, last time i checked.

Blackjack

TJ Enthusiast
Thank you for schooling me, gonna go check my supply now :-/

Some of this things just mind blows me. I remember as a kid walking into someones yard with my grandpa and seeing a semi, tractor and a sedan with a bucket of general purpose grease in the middle, made some time after ww2. Back in Soviet Union there were no high or low quality, everything was "general purpose". All three were greased from the same bucket. After 60 years of explotation, all 3 are still on the road or in the field, last time i checked.
Most parts on old stuff was built around the what lubrication was available then IE "General Purpose". Now days technology allows the grease to be tailored to the application which is why most grease "bibles" are significantly thicker than their oil counterparts. There literally is a grease for everything from a gate hinge to a nuclear reactor.