So I was talking to a JK owner today...

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
A real nice guy, and a nice JK too! However, we got to talking since we were both into motorcycles. I mentioned that my Wrangler is the only vehicle I've ever found that compares to a motorcycle in terms of that sense of freedom you get when you take the top and the doors off.

He told me that he's owned it for several years, but never once taken the top or the doors off! I told him he has to be kidding, he's missing out on the best part about owning a Wrangler!

He said that one day he would get around to it, but for now he likes it just the way it is.

Anyways, this got me thinking about how often I see JKs (I see them all the time), and how rarely I see them without the top or doors off. It's the opposite for TJs, YJs and CJs. I hardly ever see them with the tops on (unless it's Winter).

Reactions: homerjaguar
My guess is most JK owners will never take the top off. The one advantage they do have, however, is the Freedom top, so for many that may be enough freedom.

Reactions: Nuggsfan and EJD
I feel that they made the jk as a “family” style vehicle with all kinds of bells and whistles. With that said people don’t look at it as a Jeep but as a weekend journey vehicle. Take it to pick up groceries, take the kids to soccer ect. People don’t realize the capability of what they have, esp since most people purchase them with hardtops. Most can’t imagine driving without doors, heck, my wife was petrified when she first went with me without doors. I may be talking out of my @$$ but if a jk is the first “jeep” one has ever experienced, then they just won’t ever understand the true meaning of a Jeep. Just my 2 cents, please don’t hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noticed this same thing quite often round my way too. Most likely because the JK is so versatile that many people from different walks utilize them it a variety of ways for different scenarios. Sort of like IronCity says, "family" style vehicle. I did see two JK's, today, full softop back. And every now and again I see a hardtop JK w the freedoms off. I know if I had one, my T's would be off daily.

I feel that they made the jk as a “family” style vehicle with all kinds of bells and whistles. With that said people don’t look at it as a Jeep but as a weekend journey vehicle. Take it to pick up groceries, take the kids to soccer ect. People don’t realize the capability of what they have, esp since most people purchase them with hardtops. Most can’t imagine driving without doors, heck, my wife was petrified when she first went with me without doors. I may be talking out of my @$$ but if a jk is the first “jeep” one has ever experienced, then they just won’t ever understand the true meaning of a Jeep. Just my 2 cents, please don’t hate.

No hating here ;) I agree with you that if the JK is the first Jeep experience then they might not 'get it'... plus CJ and TJ doors come off quickly but JK's have to disconnect cables for all the electric windows and windows, maybe it just seems like too much hard work for them lol.

Reactions: IronCity and StG58
Honestly... How can you own any Wrangler and not take the doors off once in a while? The doors being off may be even more fun than the top being off!

IMG_20160805_194408810.jpg

Lol, I didn't give her an option. You go to the OBX in a Wrangler, you gotta strip her down....the Jeep that is.The only reason the back doors were on? I know my 3 girls, one would end up getting pushed out. But I agree, most jk owners are more concerned about the correct angle of their "angry eye" grills. They would sht if they knew there was a chance the paint could come off with the doors. Silly Yuppies.

View attachment 21971

Lol, I didn't give her an option. You go to the OBX in a Wrangler, you gotta strip her down....the Jeep that is.The only reason the back doors were on? I know my 3 girls, one would end up getting pushed out. But I agree, most jk owners are more concerned about the correct angle of their "angry eye" grills. They would sht if they knew there was a chance the paint could come off with the doors. Silly Yuppies.

Good man! I wish I saw more JKs like that.

I understand leaving the back doors on too, especially with little ones. Gotta wait until they're much older for that.

I have never taken the doors off of my tj, however, i have half doors and I only recently came into posession of it as it was my moms before. So come next summer i definitely will

I have never taken the doors off of my tj, however, i have half doors and I only recently came into posession of it as it was my moms before. So come next summer i definitely will
It took me 3 summers to get my doors off as the PVO hadn't taken them off either...one word RUST !!. Now there off any time I can get away with it haha

Reactions: Chris S and StG58
Wife drives her JKU w/half doors around with the top off at every opportunity. My bet is the half doors are there to stay though. Can't explain it, but there it is. She's used to CJ5's that didn't HAVE doors too. Some things just make you go Hmmmm.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
In our case, my wife leased a 2015 Jeep, no power anything. We drove that thing around and had some real fun with it, I felt like I could go anywhere, but feared scratching it too much as it is a lease. I decided we needed a fun Jeep. So, I bought a 2003 2 door TJ with a soft top. I'll admit, I hate the heat. Yes, I live in a desert. So, when hot, the top is on and the a/c running. However, when it drops to say 80 down to about 40, the top goes away and the doors fall off. And the fun begins. I have taken off the freedom tops on the JK, but never the hard top or doors, much to my wife's dismay. Not sure where I would put the hard top once off. I have two motorcycles in the garage as well as my wife's JK. I may take the top of the JK when the weather cools. I want her to lease another Jeep next year, but she doesn't see the reason since I didn't take the top off before. Maybe she will reconsider if I pop the top this year. If she sees my Jeep with the top off, I lose the right to drive. First world problems here.

My sister in law has one and it's a 3 person project to get on and off. When I can do mine in 10 mins or less by myself I see why they don't.

Oh really? Wow... I had no idea.

Reactions: StG58