So I wasn't actually shopping for a TJ for me

scottgraham

Just another bad habit
Supporting Member
October, 2019
A female friend of my kid was Jeep shopping...I was on CL just browsing for her, ran across a super clean '98 that was the same color as my kid's '98 but w/ a 4.0 and no rust.
I was like "Alex, you should buy that, swap all your stuff over and sell your old one, you'll break even other than your time"
"Naw dad, I don't want to have to take everything off my TJ".
So for one odd reason or another, I kept getting drawn to this TJ...still for sale.
My kid and I made the hour and a half trek to check it out (you know, "just in case" I buy it, I need somebody to drive my truck home;)). It was a bit high priced, but super clean and at 140k miles, I didn't feel bad about it for an NC Jeep.
We spent about an hour going through it, interior was near mint, less the dog hair and dust, frame super clean. PO didn't try to cover anything up and even told me about a rear tail that had dented the tub from backing into a tree (that we wouldn't have even noticed it was so minute).
I happened to show up w/ sixty 100 dollar bills. Told the PO that was the most I was willing to spend on it...
Let my kid drive it home, I drove my truck.
...So it begins.

2" BB only mod.

TJ2.jpg

TJ1.jpg

My plan is to keep it stock😂

Good find, keep it stock for the classic look because most of them on the road got the "botox" & all jacked-up.

Self discipline is the key. We are the few, the proud. We got the real Wranglers!

Last edited:
So the first thing I did was sand down, treat, and paint what little surface rust there was on the frame. Drilled drain holes, and did fluid changes. Then I ditched the BB lift and sagged out stock springs for a 2 1/2" Spring lift.

Personally wasn't super fond of the stock flares, or the extensions, so I cut the flares and removed the extensions.
Used the extensions as templates and cut aluminum diamond plate to replace.

59483318656__A565A347-3657-4A27-90AF-D70CDD832FC0.jpeg

IMG_6411.jpeg

Oh, and I got a killer deal on some steel wheels. As much as I like the factory alloys, wider tires just weren't going to fit in the future.

59587520839__C7737040-D905-47A2-AF98-992A71C451CB.jpeg

No more mods for a while...gonna run these tires till they're dead.

Reactions: JMT
$6k, great deal.

4.0?
Dana 44?

I like what you did to the front fenders, but my state requires the front side marker lights. Does yours?

I was tossing around getting some headlights that actually did something.
Online shopping on black Friday can be very dangerous, I ended up w/ headlights, front and rear bumpers, and new tires....Oooof!
Don't think I got any pics of all that crap going in.

IMG_0562.jpg

Reactions: Jpodell