So I went and did a thing (enter TJ life)

UglyDuck

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So it happened. I now own my first jeep. A TJ at that. I was kinda looking at YJs for a while, in the end, I knew better and found a 2002 4.0 sport 5spd. No rust, AZ car since day one. Needs some sorting out though. Not sure where to start.
Basics I know. Fluids, belts, hoses etc.
Throwing a couple codes as well. Too long to warm up and evap pump. Shouldn’t be too hard to work through. Then I’m thinking about rear main seal. Clutch noise. Brake booster. Ball joints, tie rods, and so on. Currently sitting on a terraflex 3 inch lift and 33s. Front is a Dana 30, need to check rear in the morning. Hoping to find a 44 but not holding my breath.
Also want to clean it up inside and out, try to make it nice. Just cause.

B218F4A5-4C05-4D00-8869-B1F8D0CEB99D.jpeg

F2A7C0D8-FEC8-4B24-B864-EBE03B90B54D.jpeg

D76F2849-0FD6-4977-BF4F-6F58AA6C168F.jpeg

View attachment 295654

63C6AE90-124F-4E4B-8906-66FA79C456E2.jpeg

Nice jeep!

My 2005 was an Arizona jeep for its first 13 years or so. It had a little over 60,000 on the odometer when I bought it In 2018. I paid way too much from a dealer for those low miles, but it has been pretty solid. It had a 2” spacer lift and Eagle Alloy wheels and that that was about it for upgrades.

All of the loom around the wiring is brittle and crumbling. I plan on tackling that pretty soon.
The paint on the hood still shines but has little cracks like you see on pottery.

Mine is virtually rust free, and was never wheeled hard. There was very minimal damage to the undercarriage when I bought it.

It had a car fax report. the only major repair listed was the Radiator, which was replaced around 50,000 miles.

I think some of the sports had 44s in the rear? That’s a nice upgrade if you have it. I unfortunately had to buy one. $$$$

I would hang on to those American Racing wheels. I kind of regret getting rid of my Eagles. I think they were better balanced than the pro-comps I replaced them with.

anyways…. I rambled on since mine was an AZ jeep too. Those are a few things to look for, along with your soon to be dwindling bank account once you drop into that rabbit hole. It can really add up, even when you do all the labor.

Hell yeah nice work! I have a 44 in the back of my 02 sport so it’s entirely possible. Great bones, freshen up those fender flares and it’ll pop much better.

Reactions: John Cooper
Great find and welcome to the forum! Seems like you have a good idea, but definitely go through it well.

Some things I’ve found so far;
Slight oil drip from rear main seal (common issue apparently)
Noises, all sorts of noises.
(A whine or light grind when clutch is out but gone when pressed in)
Noise when braking, kind of a hiss, maybe brake booster.
Alignment, and pulls to left when braking. (Maybe sticking caliper)
Passenger seatbelt inertia reel doesn’t lock when pulled.
Engine noise. Hard to describe. Maybe normal, not used to these engines, maybe it’s trans or differential. Still learning.

So much to learn…

Nice jeep!

My 2005 was an Arizona jeep for its first 13 years or so. It had a little over 60,000 on the odometer when I bought it In 2018. I paid way too much from a dealer for those low miles, but it has been pretty solid. It had a 2” spacer lift and Eagle Alloy wheels and that that was about it for upgrades.

All of the loom around the wiring is brittle and crumbling. I plan on tackling that pretty soon.
The paint on the hood still shines but has little cracks like you see on pottery.

Mine is virtually rust free, and was never wheeled hard. There was very minimal damage to the undercarriage when I bought it.

It had a car fax report. the only major repair listed was the Radiator, which was replaced around 50,000 miles.

I think some of the sports had 44s in the rear? That’s a nice upgrade if you have it. I unfortunately had to buy one. $$$$

I would hang on to those American Racing wheels. I kind of regret getting rid of my Eagles. I think they were better balanced than the pro-comps I replaced them with.

anyways…. I rambled on since mine was an AZ jeep too. Those are a few things to look for, along with your soon to be dwindling bank account once you drop into that rabbit hole. It can really add up, even when you do all the labor.
I appreciate the rambling because I can relate! Luckily I have a 44 on the rear. Still torn on the wheels, I like em but they make trailering hard with my set up, unless I go to an axle strap method, which has its own difficulties.

Some things I’ve found so far;
Slight oil drip from rear main seal (common issue apparently)
Noises, all sorts of noises.
(A whine or light grind when clutch is out but gone when pressed in)
Noise when braking, kind of a hiss, maybe brake booster.
Alignment, and pulls to left when braking. (Maybe sticking caliper)
Passenger seatbelt inertia reel doesn’t lock when pulled.
Engine noise. Hard to describe. Maybe normal, not used to these engines, maybe it’s trans or differential. Still learning.

So much to learn…
these are known for having sticking calipers and specifically the passenger one for some reason, I just replaced all of my front brakes fairly easy and straight forward, I think the calipers were like 30 bucks from autozone minus core

Reactions: UglyDuck
these are known for having sticking calipers and specifically the passenger one for some reason, I just replaced all of my front brakes fairly easy and straight forward, I think the calipers were like 30 bucks from autozone minus core
Good info. It’s actually pulling to driver side, but I’ve got steering and alignment to sort through as well.

I'm going to neeeed you to...go ahead and change that color to somethin' else. Mmmkay?
View attachment 295699
I concur. The Yellow Jeep Club is quite exclusive. The board will consider your application and bring it to a vote at our next quarterly board meeting - at the end of March.

:)

Nice rig. Welcome to the forum - and the madness.

Jeff

I concur. The Yellow Jeep Club is quite exclusive. The board will consider your application and bring it to a vote at our next quarterly board meeting - at the end of March.

:)

Nice rig. Welcome to the forum - and the madness.

Jeff
Oh lord, this sounds just like @AndyG and his RubiBro's....... you sure y'all aren't related :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: