So that's why Elk hunting is hard!

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Stumbled across an article about why Elk hunting is hard. Makes sense.

Quote:
“The bold elk move the most, are the most aggressive and will bolt out into the open. Those elk died at a high rate.” said Boyce. “As they age, they tend to become shy, more savvy, learn to avoid roads.”

While some elk started out shy, most learned to adopt the shy behaviours.

“The magic number is 10,” said Boyce. “After this age threshold, female elk become almost bulletproof, virtually invulnerable to hunting.”

Huh, bulletproof Elk. Figures.

Link: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ly-bulletproof-as-they-learn-to-avoid-hunters

Loved the line "Male elk tend to live for only four or five years in Alberta because of their bold behaviour and hunters’ preference for bull elk, Boyce said. Their short lifespans meant they were not part of the study."

Reactions: Chris
It's funny how some hunters frown upon shooting does and cows when they can be some of the toughest to kill. Got my elk and deer tags for Id already and will arrow the first elk I see, which will be my first ever elk.

Reactions: Scott B. and StG58
It's funny how some hunters frown upon shooting does and cows when they can be some of the toughest to kill. Got my elk and deer tags for Id already and will arrow the first elk I see, which will be my first ever elk.
Some farmers frown on you shooting cows too. Just kidding, I knew what you meant. We can't shoot cows up here on the wet side, except for one short season in the spring. Bull only. Usually spike only or fork or better depending on the population. The rules change from year to year. There's some old bulls in the woods that are almost impossible to see, let alone get a shot at. You'll catch glimpses of them all year long, and then they evaporate for hunting season. Oh, that's rifle season. Don't hunt with a bow, so I don't know about that.

Good luck in Idaho!