So we bought a Jeep—2006 LJR

I tried moving the cruise, and I think I see where to put it based on Blaine's pic, but I was having too many issues trying to get it to fit and wasn't in a frame of mind to try to create an all new bracket so I just removed it, at least for now. I'll keep it and maybe look at reinstalling it when I have more time to deal with it. Time's getting short for getting this running before our Tillamook trip.

I tried to mount the res on the fender with just a piece of angle as Blaine suggested, but sitting on the fender, even farther back it still just barely hit the hood :/ so I used the bracket we'd come up with and just rotated the res within the bracket and slid the whole thing back. Bottom of res is about 3/4" lower than the flat part of the inner fender, had to be to clear the hood.
Ditching it for now is a good interim solution seeing as you can add it back on whenever. Hopefully we can do some testing next weekend.

Reactions: Apparition
Ditching it for now is a good interim solution seeing as you can add it back on whenever. Hopefully we can do some testing next weekend.
Yeah, hoping to be home by like noon or 1 on Monday and work on getting the other lines on, still want to try to get it out to Reiter by the following Saturday... so I have Sunday to work on it if anything isn't right. Getting tighter and tighter on time

So trying to finish up this project, cycling the steering and watching for bubbles/drop in fluid etc. in the reservoir, and I found that with the front axle hanging and wheels turned full right, my steering is hitting the lower part of my antirock link and that is becoming the stop before mf steering stop is... Anyone have an idea why or what to do?

Thinking maybe I could reverse the link so the lower part is on the outside of the bracket, but that might move it more than I want... don't know if I could bend that thick bracket out at all. I think I need maybe 3/16" for it to clear. Second to last image shows the gap on the opposite steering stop.

Hmmm....

20210602_102554.jpg
20210602_102438.jpg
20210602_102454.jpg
20210602_102508.jpg
20210602_102948.jpg

20210602_102922.jpg

So trying to finish up this project, cycling the steering and watching for bubbles/drop in fluid etc. in the reservoir, and I found that with the front axle hanging and wheels turned full right, my steering is hitting the lower part of my antirock link and that is becoming the stop before mf steering stop is... Anyone have an idea why or what to do?

Thinking maybe I could reverse the link so the lower part is on the outside of the bracket, but that might move it more than I want... don't know if I could bend that thick bracket out at all. I think I need maybe 3/16" for it to clear. Second to last image shows the gap on the opposite steering stop.

Hmmm....

View attachment 256517View attachment 256514View attachment 256515View attachment 256516View attachment 256519

View attachment 256518
IF you can flip the end link to the other side of the tab that would be easisets. I would wait for consult with people more experienced in stock axles, but in my experience i would either cut and bend and weld that axle side tab back to clear the steering or use your control arms to move the whole axle slightly back? Or don't steer at fully drooped :)

I tried moving the cruise, and I think I see where to put it based on Blaine's pic, but I was having too many issues trying to get it to fit and wasn't in a frame of mind to try to create an all new bracket so I just removed it, at least for now. I'll keep it and maybe look at reinstalling it when I have more time to deal with it. Time's getting short for getting this running before our Tillamook trip.
I had a pretty easy time getting it to fit on the ABS tray...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/pc1ps-2006-jeep-lj-build-brünhilde.48964/post-873695

So I got the Jeep back together today, I'm pretty sure I got it all bled right, took it for a short drive, put it in 4 low and locked up the front and could actually steer so thats a good sign!

Steering is heavier than it was on the road, but that's not a bad thing, and it felt nearly identical on road vs on gravel and locked up for my quick test.

Going to Reiter Saturday with @B00mb00m to test things out more thoroughly and watch him test out his new cutting brakes.

So I got the Jeep back together today, I'm pretty sure I got it all bled right, took it for a short drive, put it in 4 low and locked up the front and could actually steer so thats a good sign!

Steering is heavier than it was on the road, but that's not a bad thing, and it felt nearly identical on road vs on gravel and locked up for my quick test.

Going to Reiter Saturday with @B00mb00m to test things out more thoroughly and watch him test out his new cutting brakes.
I'm jealous of heavy on road steering. One day I'll take my box off and send it back to psc. Looking forward to the rain and mud 😩

I'm jealous of heavy on road steering. One day I'll take my box off and send it back to psc. Looking forward to the rain and mud 😩
So I had a fantastic day today at Reiter with @B00mb00m and @tombicon who I met for the first time, as well as some of my club members and a few guys I hadn't met.

Long day of technical rocks, and I have to say, the new steering is AMAZING. Night and day difference. Where before I would disengage front locker immediately after an obstacle so I could steer, today I found myself forgetting the locker was on.

On the road, off the road, 4-hi, 4-low, locked or unlocked, the steering feels pretty much exactly the same.

Game. Changer.

:) Massive thanks to B00mb00m for hanging out and helping me in my garage a couple weekend days and @mrblaine for his kit and all his help through the process as well everyone else who helped out.

Also saw Tomb do this... unfortunately the video didn't turn out but it was an interesting recovery :)

1622946280153.png

This was as he was being helped back out of it.

1622946318380.png

So I had a fantastic day today at Reiter with @B00mb00m and @tombicon who I met for the first time, as well as some of my club members and a few guys I hadn't met.

Long day of technical rocks, and I have to say, the new steering is AMAZING. Night and day difference. Where before I would disengage front locker immediately after an obstacle so I could steer, today I found myself forgetting the locker was on.

On the road, off the road, 4-hi, 4-low, locked or unlocked, the steering feels pretty much exactly the same.

Game. Changer.

:) Massive thanks to B00mb00m for hanging out and helping me in my garage a couple weekend days and @mrblaine for his kit and all his help through the process as well everyone else who helped out.

Also saw Tomb do this... unfortunately the video didn't turn out but it was an interesting recovery :)

View attachment 257346

View attachment 257347
THAT IS NOT THE LINE.

How did he get that far out of whack?

• Haha
Reactions: tombicon
For the record, your steering issues were not coming from the front. The back being locked is what causes the understeer.
You're always welcome.

Reactions: B00mb00m
For the record, your steering issues were not coming from the front. The back being locked is what causes the understeer.

You're always welcome.
Yeah when I said so I couldn't steer I just meant that before the upgrade it found it difficult to actually turn the steering wheel while locked up on flat ground, not the vehicles ability to actually turn, now it is... more better :)

Reactions: tombicon
Awesome thanks... I unfortunately don't have unlimited funds... so that helps since I can do that fairly cheaply then do the tummy tuck later. I think the tuck and a re-gear may both have to wait since I can't afford new control arms and the re-gear before June.
WTF did you say above 😱

I unfortunately don’t have unlimited funds 🤣🤣🤣

Well Well it seams that you have fallen in the rabbit hole

BA01FC56-EDDA-4FE6-9601-5DFFEF2C0FDB.jpeg

THAT IS NOT THE LINE.

How did he get that far out of whack?
Here's how it went, "ok Mike, STAY ON TOP OF THE ROCKS..." Mike: "hold my beer"
PXL_20210605_225859145.jpg

For the record, @tombicon did fantastic. He pretty had the clutch mastered by the end of the day. Have I said how much I love auto on the trail?

Dave did awesome also. Dave has an uncanny ability to wheel very well without a spotter. That is a really good to have because when the rain really starts falling the spotters don't like to get out of the vehicle.

Here's how it went, "ok Mike, STAY ON TOP OF THE ROCKS..." Mike: "hold my beer"
View attachment 257374

For the record, @tombicon did fantastic. He pretty had the clutch mastered by the end of the day. Have I said how much I love auto on the trail?

Dave did awesome also. Dave has an uncanny ability to wheel very well without a spotter. That is a really good to have because when the rain really starts falling the spotters don't like to get out of the vehicle.
Oh, and I totally forgot @B00mb00m trying to use his new cutting brakes at any possibility and when he pulled off one great move with it, the child like glee as he exclaimed "that was the coolest thing I've ever done in my Jeep!" lol :)

Game. Changer.

View attachment 257346

View attachment 257347
A massive Thanks to both @B00mb00m and @DaveF for giving me an opportunity to run with them.
Both stand up guys. They both offered great advice and lots of help for this rookie.
I think I needed the most pulls. :cry:
Any issues were my own. Was very nervous, and was actually very difficult locked in low, using the clutch. Although I've driven a manual shift my entire life, this is just much more technical.
A big shout out to @B00mb00m, his rig is very capable and he's a great driver.
I am also very impressed with @DaveF. He just really knows his jeep and drives like he's been doing it for years!
I was very impressed with both of you.
Thank you guys so much for the invite and I hope I get to do it again with you.
PS, Ill keep working on my driving skills.