So we bought a Jeep—2006 LJR

I looked long and hard for a good spare tire carrier, but couldn't find one I liked. I did like the Morryde one but it is only for the JK not TJ. So as seen above I bought the JK one. Only problem is the incorrect bolt pattern :)

So yesterday I cut off the original bolts, drilled new holes, installed some new bolts and welded them in place on the back side. No, I'm not going to show pics of my shitty welding! Now, nothing ever goes easy for me and so of course I couldn't find the right length of 1/2-20 bolts, so I had to buy longer ones and cut them down. After painting them back up, mounted it back on the Jeep and looks good. Working now on fabbing up some sort of bumper for the bottom of the tire to reduce movement.

20201116_172706.jpg

20201117_163708.jpg

20201117_175835.jpg

I looked long and hard for a good spare tire carrier, but couldn't find one I liked. I did like the Morryde one but it is only for the JK not TJ. So as seen above I bought the JK one. Only problem is the incorrect bolt pattern :)

So yesterday I cut off the original bolts, drilled new holes, installed some new bolts and welded them in place on the back side. No, I'm not going to show pics of my shitty welding! Now, nothing ever goes easy for me and so of course I couldn't find the right length of 1/2-20 bolts, so I had to buy longer ones and cut them down. After painting them back up, mounted it back on the Jeep and looks good. Working now on fabbing up some sort of bumper for the bottom of the tire to reduce movement.

View attachment 204241
View attachment 204242
View attachment 204243
If you have leftover metalcloak bumpstops they could be used there, you want something with a little compliance like the stock bumper.

If you have leftover metalcloak bumpstops they could be used there, you want something with a little compliance like the stock bumper.
I don't have any Metalcloak suspension parts, or any bump stops at all. I was thinking of bending some 1/4" steel into just a U shape and mounting the stock bumper to that...

Finished up the tire bumper just a bent piece of 1/4" steel and the OEM rubber bumper. Left it U shaped thinking it will be strong enough to keep the tire from moving around under normal use, but give enough flex to not do something bad if I hit it hard. We'll see, if I need to I can box it in in the future. (making this shit up as I go ya know)

Also cut down my old antenna mount and installed into the new MorRyde arms... I think it will work. Fits tight against the OEM tail lights but I have newer lower profile lights on order so that's a short term issue. Only thing left is to secure the cable.

20201119_164657.jpg

20201119_164728.jpg

New tail lights are installed. Put in the Max-Bilt trail tails... I like the look and design of these and they appear to be built tough. I know I could buy several cheaper ones for the same cost, but I'd rather put something in that I can expect to last and do it once.

Installs to factory mounting holes with supplied bolts. Easy peasy, I ended up just moving the plugs from the OEM lights to these.

https://maxbilt.com/collections/tra...-wrangler-round-led-tail-lights-jeep-cj-yj-tj
20201203_163324.jpg

20201203_163340.jpg

20201203_163446.jpg

New tail lights are installed. Put in the Max-Bilt trail tails... I like the look and design of these and they appear to be built tough. I know I could buy several cheaper ones for the same cost, but I'd rather put something in that I can expect to last and do it once.

Installs to factory mounting holes with supplied bolts. Easy peasy, I ended up just moving the plugs from the OEM lights to these.

https://maxbilt.com/collections/tra...-wrangler-round-led-tail-lights-jeep-cj-yj-tj
View attachment 207787

View attachment 207788
View attachment 207789
Hows the reverse lighting compare to stock? i need something with more light than stock reverse.

OK, so spent the past week replacing the center dash with a double DIN version and installing a new Android stereo (Pumpkin brand). Has onboard GPS now with ability to use offline mapping, wireless, hands free, bluetooth, android auto, rear view and front camera capability, and the ability to download and run apps off the Play store... so of course I loaded up Avenza with maps of the ORV we're going to this weekend!

Also replaced the cigarrete lighter thingy on the left with a 2 port quick charging USB ports, then on the panel to the right installed 2 additional ports that go to the new stereo.

And while I was at it, I realized the 'grill' on the dash at the base of the windshield was only about 1/3 there, I fixed that by gluing on some black gutter guard :)

Oh, and don't forget, the new GMRS radio as well! lol it's been a busy week!

20201208_174125.jpg

20201208_174140.jpg

20201209_163928.jpg

OH, and I finally installed our club stickers!

20201209_185919.jpg

Ive always thought about doing something like this but I probably would still have the wrong ones on hand
Oh, I have no doubt that that will still happen, just trying to cut down the odds. Also going to take a sampling of all these to carry in the Jeep on the trail.

Oh, and I have a similar set of in Metric sizes on the way.

Reactions: JMT
Today I got new control arms in the mail... only took a week from ordering from Savvy to delivery!

20210111_170958.jpg

Also ordered some Black Magic lip balm and Mr. Blaine was nice enough to throw in a free pair of Jonny Joint washers how awesome is that? :)
20210111_171452.jpg

What is the purpose of the washers?
From his website:

quote:
Johnny Joint Washers

TJ Front Lower Control Arm Mount

Fits into the slot in the TJ front lower Control Arm Mount and registers in the horseshoe to center control arm perfectly. Washer portion is equivalent thickness to OEM and when used with the Currie greaseable bolts, no other washers are needed or required. Raised area is the same height as the thickness of the mount to provide a grease seal and keep the grease where it belongs in the joint. Also provides additional clamping area for the ends of the Johnny Joint.

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Johnny-Joint-Washers_c80.htm

From his website:

quote:
Johnny Joint Washers

TJ Front Lower Control Arm Mount

Fits into the slot in the TJ front lower Control Arm Mount and registers in the horseshoe to center control arm perfectly. Washer portion is equivalent thickness to OEM and when used with the Currie greaseable bolts, no other washers are needed or required. Raised area is the same height as the thickness of the mount to provide a grease seal and keep the grease where it belongs in the joint. Also provides additional clamping area for the ends of the Johnny Joint.

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Johnny-Joint-Washers_c80.htm
Ok so they're only needed for the front lower CAs?

Been somewhat busy on the Jeep with no updates here....

First, I got the front Savvy control arms installed and welded on the front LCA skids also. I ended up having to replace the axle end bushing on one of the upper CAs which was a pain because the bolt was frozen inside. Also while it was on jack stands, I finally got around to replacing the apparently stock front brake lines of which the driver side was too tight at droop.
20210207_151630.jpg

Finally, while it was there and tires were off, I decided to cut off the ends of the front bumper. Took 8" off of each end, bent/cut/welded on some end caps and painted up. Turned out pretty good even with my shitty welding I think. Now I should have a better approach to rocks.... the old ends would hit before I could get to the tires frequently.

20210214_115124.jpg

20210214_115119.jpg

20210214_212539.jpg

20210214_212524.jpg

20210214_212621.jpg

20210215_145827.jpg

20210215_155929.jpg

20210215_155922.jpg