So we bought a Jeep—2006 LJR

I can't weld, I have never welded, but if I could I would be extremely happy if it was as "shitty" as that job on the bumper! Nicely done sir.
A year ago I had never welded. I took a one day intro class to MIG welding, bought myself a low cost welder and supplies and just started practicing when I had something to do with it. The only reason it 'looks' decent, is I'm a lot better grinder then welder :)

Also, to date... I have stayed away from anything 'structural' like axles etc. !

Reactions: Vasq
So I just thought I'd share some pics from yesterday... I love my Jeep :)

Reiter-10.jpg

Reiter-3.jpg

Reiter-6.jpg

Reiter-23.jpg

Reiter-42.jpg

This is a great build. I want to run the front control arm skids as well. Is it a simple install?

This is a great build. I want to run the front control arm skids as well. Is it a simple install?
It is if you can weld and you still at least have all the metal on your mounts... I had to bend the mounts back into place with some pliers, then weld the skids on. It's a shitty angle to weld at and I'm a shitty welder so it took a couple tries but they seem solid now. Also had to weld up some gaps where there just wasn't any metal left.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
Great pics. Can’t beat the PNW for scenery. My wife is from Portland, and we miss the area.

(And yeah @Chris, I know, I know... 🙂)

Even my wife says Portland has gone absolutely crazy.
Thing that always gets me is the freeways down in Portland... they confuse the hell out of me for some reason.

Reactions: Vasq
Oh man Reiter is looking good and not real wet! I need to get out there. Saturday looked like the perfect weather day for a spring wheel. I was thinking Walker would still be pretty soupy.
Yup, it was awesome Saturday and not really busy... only standing water in a few spots but most of the trail was dry.

So ever since we got the Jeep and went on our first multi-day trip, I've been looking for some way to secure the tools, compressor, recovery gear, etc. that are in the back of the Jeep. I looked at several of the options out there but the cost was prohibitive to say the least.

This weekend I finally got to work building my own solution, goal was to secure these items in the back by creating a steel enclosure that is accessible only through the tailgate. Lock the tailgate and the enclosure is also locked. The bolts needed to be inside obviously, and this was also a good project to practice my crappy welding / fabrication skills. :)

Here is what I came up with. I added a rail at the top of 1/4" round bar to attach a bungee net I have so we can also use it as a shelf and tie down extra items like tents/backpacks if needed for overnight trips.

20210404_163229.jpg
20210404_163311.jpg
20210404_163309.jpg
20210404_163233.jpg
20210404_163250.jpg

Finished up priming/painting and installed my newly built storage for the back of the Jeep.

After packing it I found I can put even more than I thought I'd be able to in there. Also put some netting on the top to carry extra crap if needed.

Fun little project, definitely gave me a bunch of needed practice welding/fabricating which was worth it in itself! Now I'm considering modifying my spare tire bracket to shorten and lift by maybe an inch... just for some more clearance in the back.

20210407_162853.jpg

20210407_163510.jpg

20210407_163519.jpg

Finished up priming/painting and installed my newly built storage for the back of the Jeep.

After packing it I found I can put even more than I thought I'd be able to in there. Also put some netting on the top to carry extra crap if needed.

Fun little project, definitely gave me a bunch of needed practice welding/fabricating which was worth it in itself! Now I'm considering modifying my spare tire bracket to shorten and lift by maybe an inch... just for some more clearance in the back.

View attachment 241737

View attachment 241738

View attachment 241739
Well done Dave! I need to do similar, but haven't settled on how i what i want it all to do just yet. Does the front section match the backseat angle or is it straight up and down? How'd you settle on that height for the platform? I'm considering making it flush with the wheel wells.

Well done Dave! I need to do similar, but haven't settled on how i what i want it all to do just yet. Does the front section match the backseat angle or is it straight up and down? How'd you settle on that height for the platform? I'm considering making it flush with the wheel wells.
the front wall is straight up and down. I don't know if I can have it in with the back seat in, our back seat hasn't been in for over 2 years now :). Part of the reason I just used the nutserts though was so it can be easily removed if we do want to put the seat in for some reason.

As to height... I wanted as much space inside it as possible, so I put it level with the top of the tailgate. Having it flush with the wheel wells wouldn't let me stack things as much, for example I have the matt under the tool bag under the spare parts bag.... at wheel well height I couldn't have that top bag. I also wanted to be sure I could fit my emergency fluid box that you can't see. It's one of those plastic ammo can type deals, its standing upright behind the air compressor in the picture.

Higher and it would stick above the gate and I'd have to have a lip or something to keep it secure. Lower just reduced capacity.

My biggest goal was to have everything of any real value in that box, other than the fridge and the tow rope, tree saver, and soft shackles I keep in reach behind the seat (which can be thrown in the rear storage now when not on the trail). the plastic tub next to the fridge is for easy access and less costly items like clothing layers, toilet paper, food, and other misc. items. I may actually at some point build another box for that area that can be locked.

New tail lights are installed. Put in the Max-Bilt trail tails... I like the look and design of these and they appear to be built tough. I know I could buy several cheaper ones for the same cost, but I'd rather put something in that I can expect to last and do it once.

Installs to factory mounting holes with supplied bolts. Easy peasy, I ended up just moving the plugs from the OEM lights to these.

https://maxbilt.com/collections/tra...-wrangler-round-led-tail-lights-jeep-cj-yj-tj
View attachment 207787

View attachment 207788
View attachment 207789
Did you have to grind on the Moryde for the passenger trail tail to fit?

Did you have to grind on the Moryde for the passenger trail tail to fit?
No, these are not flush mount... they sit on top of whatever and mount in the factory screw holes. I didn't change the shape of the Moryde, but I did cut away some of my body armor to fit around the moryde as you can see in the pic below. I did have to use a couple longer bolts though to make up for the thickness of the armor.

1618726711839.png

No, these are not flush mount... they sit on top of whatever and mount in the factory screw holes. I didn't change the shape of the Moryde, but I did cut away some of my body armor to fit around the moryde as you can see in the pic below. I did have to use a couple longer bolts though to make up for the thickness of the armor.

View attachment 244750
Does the trail tail overlap the Moryde? I don’t have armor.