Arizona So while we have the attention of the Arizona Crowd

Gblabla

Supporting Member
Anyone interested in hooking up for a trip anywhere around Apache Junction over Thanksgiving? The wife and I are camping at lost Dutchman over the holiday from Thursday to Sunday and planning on a few day trips around the area.

Thinking Apache Junction Trail, Saguro Lake Rolls, etc. Open to suggestions from anyone that has been to the area before. Not looking for hard core wheeling but a few challenges along the way are always fun!

Reactions: DaveC
Awesome, keep me posted. I wouldn't mimd making a whole day of it. I've been looking at a run that combines Montana Mountain with Box Canyon. Or from Apache Junction up to Payson. So a morning run would be great.

You should check the road conditions.
I was just there for a waterski competition after Dorian blew through in October and they were pretty destroyed.
The road from the SW was closed. Word was that a boulder the size of a tractortrailer took it out.

I have some crazy stuff going on over the weekend. We are actually moving into our freshly rebuilt house that week, but I might be interested in meeting up for a day trip, if I can work it out. Keep me posted on where and where you are going. I also heard the apache trail is closed, but I would be willing to go check it out with you guys. I have never been to the Lost Dutchman, and I am always looking for new places, so I am definitely interested.

I have some crazy stuff going on over the weekend. We are actually moving into our freshly rebuilt house that week, but I might be interested in meeting up for a day trip, if I can work it out. Keep me posted on where and where you are going. I also heard the apache trail is closed, but I would be willing to go check it out with you guys. I have never been to the Lost Dutchman, and I am always looking for new places, so I am definitely interested.

@Boinked ^^ @starkey480 ^^

In looking online it does appear that Apache Trail is closed above Tortilla Flats. I'll look for updates and confirmation. Even if it is closed there seems to be many trails in that area and a bit more south near Florence. I'll try to narrow down some plans and post up. Sunday morning is tentatively doing box canyon from Florence area north to hwy 66.

Reactions: ac_ and Wakeangel
Pumpkin center to Aztec peak is supposed to be a goods scenic trail. I think that trail or another off Aztec peak goes up to young. Also supposed to be similar. I don't have any first hand knowledge; read about it somewhere. For consideration this or another time.

Reactions: ac_
Good question on the Permit. I am new to the AZ area and have been trying to get up to speed on the permits that are / may be needed. I did pick up a State Trust Permit just to be safe in certain areas. The other permit that may be needed in that general area as I understand it is a Tonto Forrest Permit. I am not well versed on what is required where and what the repercussions are to claiming ignorance. I did see some older postings on other forums about actually being ticketed for not having State Trust passes.

From the Arizona State Parks website:
''All off-highway vehicles (OHVs) designed by the manufacturer primarily for use over unimproved terrain and that weigh 2,500 pounds or less are required by law to display a valid OHV decal to operate on public and state trust lands in Arizona. This includes “street legal” vehicles that meet these two requirements." Technically speaking we don't meet these requirements. I'm probably around 3,500 pounds. of course buying the OHV pass benefits the trails and other things. So there's that.

Took some searching, but I found the website for state trust land and it's a little ambiguous. The 2500 lb permit is for vehicles designated as an OHV (quads, atvs, etc. that are not designated by the manufacturer for travel over paved roads). The site also references permits for any use of state trust land (hiking, horseback riding, and more).

I called for clarification and you do, in fact need to have the state trust permit. The 2500 lb permit is a special decal to go on your OHV (quad, atv) plate and it's in addition to the state trust permit - if driving an OHV - (you have to go thru the Game and Fish to get the sticker https://www.azgfd.com/ohv/decals/).

Here's a link to purchase the state trust permit https://asld.secure.force.com/recreationalpermit/.

Tonto passes are for use of the lakes in the Tonto National Forrest and off-roading in the Bulldog Canyon area in NE Mesa and the Salt River area. The Bulldog pass is free and good for 6 mo. Passes for the lakes are good for one day only and cost varies depending on whether or not you're using a watercraft. Here's the link on for those. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_018733

Silly question, but I've not been to any of the areas discussed. I'm on 31s with open diffs. Assuming these are 'all skill/vehicle level' friendly trails?

Good call on the research. I haven't been down box canyon but it's rated as easy with some moderate that a stock vehicle can get over with potential skid plate bumps. I've found that, in the three trails/areas I've run, moderate trails are actually pretty easy. With the exception of one small section on part of the GWT I came across last Sunday. Which was a narrow, rocky and steep section that I banged my forgottrn trailer hitch on. That I promptly removed. That was the only section that actually needed 4L. Honestly I didn't really need 4WD at all for most of the trip. But I kept in 4H because I was driving pretty fast on some sections. I just had to test out the new Rancho shocks!

Silly question, but I've not been to any of the areas discussed. I'm on 31s with open diffs. Assuming these are 'all skill/vehicle level' friendly trails?

Here is a site that I have been using to understand the difficulty of trails around Phoenix. It has a good explanation of the trail rating system and by their measurement anything rated a 2.5 or less seems easily doable, 3.0 probably good with jus t a little driver skill. I'm still new to Jeeping so not looking for tooo much of a challenge - More of an enjoyable day. Especially since I'll have the wife with me and she tend to hit me when I push things too hard :)

Here are some of the trails I've been looking at for this trip:

Box Canyon 2.5
Saguaro Lake the Rolls 3.0
Bulldog Canyon 2.5
Four Peaks 2.0
Cherry Creek 2.5
Angel Wings ETC GP-3.0

Good stuff; thanks for the follow up. I've got the All Trails and Trails Offroad apps. Ratings seem pretty similar on both but as we all know, those can be highly subjective and don't want to be 'that guy'...:;). Looking forward to meeting everyone!