So You Want To Go Wheeling (or, "A Social Primer for Newbies")

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
In a club I belong to, I realized that there were a surprising number of new-to-the-sport members who hadn't been out to an event. I wrote this in response to one such newbie's question (though it was much, much shorter). It's based off my own experiences as I was starting out.

It received quite a few positive reactions, so I thought I'd expand my original write-up and share it here.

So You Want To Go Wheeling (or, "A Social Primer for Newbies")

1. Find a local wheeling group.

Read through various websites and social media to figure out which club you'd be most comfortable joining. Forums often have sub-forums dedicated to specific locations (such as this regional forum for WranglerTJForum). Many groups use Facebook and other social media to promote their club and provide a place for members to interact.

2. Attend an event with people who know how to wheel.

Some clubs hold newbie outings. They're specifically geared towards introducing off-roading to folks who have little to no experience in the sport.

Even if you can't find a newbie event (or you don't want to wait for the next one), try attending an outing anyway. It's common for clubs to sandwich newbies between experienced off-roaders in the line. You'll always have someone in front of you or behind you to help you out if you need it.

Experienced folks in the club take on the important role of "spotter," the individual outside your rig who will guide you and can see things you can't. Just because they're not in a rig doesn't mean they're not having a good time; talking someone through a particularly difficult obstacle can be just as fulfilling as being the one behind the wheel.

3. Don't do anything you don't want to do.

You're new. Others understand that. You're out to gain experience and have a good time doing it. Clubs want you to have a good time and they want you to return for future outings.

If you're not feeling a specific obstacle, bypass it. I have yet to meet a wheeler who was 100% gung-ho about every single obstacle we've come across — and I'm not just talking about newbies.

4. Try to do something that might scare the crap out of you.

Seemingly contradictory to #3 above, right? Not exactly.

Safety takes priority over everything. Other members will not intentionally put you in harm's way.

As the day rolls on, you'll eventually identify the folks who know what they're doing. Keep a mental note of faces who have successfully spotted for other rigs. Ask them to help you try something new.

Much of what makes this sport great is conquering intimidating obstacles. You're going to get nerves, you're going to digest your own stomach, and you might even need a new pair of pants, but getting through something that intimidates the hell out of you with the help of other members is an awesome feeling.

5. Failure is temporary.

If you try an obstacle and — despite all your efforts — you just can't conquer it, don't keep trying. Back off and let the next driver give it a shot.

That being said, you might want to try something that your rig simply isn't capable of doing. If someone suggests you steer clear of something, don't take it as a slight. In fact, quite the opposite: members are keeping you out of a dangerous situation before you can get into it.

6. Recovery: everyone does it.

Avoiding an obstacle because you're worried you'll get stuck and tie up the group while they recover your rig is counterproductive. No one bats 1.000 when it comes to off-roading. If you're not getting stuck, you're not pushing your limits.

When you inevitably find your wheels spinning in the muck because the puddle didn't look deep or spinning in the air because you misjudged the peak of a hill, take an active role in recovery. Getting stuck is an opportunity to learn about an extremely important part of the sport.

6. Ask questions!

There's a lot that goes into wheeling beyond just watching someone take on a muddy pit or an off-camber climb. Members around you watching the same scenario unfold might be able to give you a pointer or three while you're watching. That — and drivers love talking about their rigs.

I hope this write-up helps folks who have yet to venture out with a club. I didn't know a single person in the community when I picked up my Jeep. A newbie outing was my very first experience and I'm oh-so-glad I went.

If you've got any pointers that I might've missed or an addendum to what I've written above, please share!

Happy wheeling!

Great comments, I'm new to wheeling and on my first trip out went with a local club, it was the best decision I could have made. They showed me the jeep was extremely capable on its own and shared a ton of knowledge. Also challenged me on a few obstacles I probably wouldn't have tried on my own but never let me get in a spot I couldn't get out of.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk