Social media, friend or foe?

derekmac

TJ Addict
So, are you a social media lover, or hater? About the only thing I use is Facebook. For us here, it's the main way that we organize runs, coffee nights, and share wheeling pics and vids. It's great for creating events, and seeing how many people will be showing up for them.

We also use it for organizing rescues. Last night during a snow storm, some guy decided that it was a good idea to go out wheeling alone, with almost no gas, and crappy tires. He broke through some ice and got stuck. He posted in our clubs FB page, and we were able to organize a rescue.

So where do you stand, friend or foe?

I hate it.

The only (and I really do mean this) reason I have a Facebook account is because all of my family insists on me having it so they can see photos I post of our daughters (since a lot of my family doesn't live in the state). It it wasn't for that, I would get rid of it in a heartbeat.

I see the benefits to it for sure, but I think in a lot of ways it's ruined society. People are so obsessed with social media that they rarely even do the things they used to do before social media (like meeting with people face to face, talking on the phone, etc.).

Again, I see the pros and cons to it for sure, I just see more negatives than positives (though maybe I'm just being cynical).

Social media is awesome news for the FBI, NSA, and CIA. Never has it been so easy to keep tabs on people. Hell, people these days just give the government every single detail about their life without the government even having to ask. :p

For the most part "foe". I don't Tweet or Instagram or Snapchat or any of that other crap. I use Facebook but recently deleted the app from my phone. I can see its benefit as you described. I also think its good for things like the Oakland fire that just happened out here last month. I saw a friend from Oakland who checked in who said that he was OK and wasn't there that night. So for emergencies and what not I think its useful. But as a whole our society just uses social media way too much. A big massive time waster. I also think it hurts with making actual connections with people.

Reactions: Chris
But as a whole our society just uses social media way too much. A big massive time waster. I also think it hurts with making actual connections with people.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Those are my thoughts exactly. People waste so much time on it, it's just silly.

Reactions: UpperMI
I use FB primarily for work/union stuff. I have no friends on it, not even the wife. I use IG a little, all my friends are family. I do use both for activity based stuff like hunting and golf. They are good for info, coupons, etc.

For the most part, it is an absolute time waster. I do also think that people have become far too addicted to it, and reliant on it.

FB, I stay clear of. Instagram or Twitter has it's pros and cons as well. One example of a pro: staying informed of the things / activities / discounts / announcements you enjoy. Cons: overwhelming nonsense from the people who post, what I consider, uninteresting sh*t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris and UpperMI
I personally don't use social media of any kind. I hardly watch any TV either. I only watch movies and Grand Tour.

But, in my opinion its not an inherently bad thing. It's like this forum; it's a very similar concept.

Foe. No use for social media of any kind. I'm not interested in the fact that so-and-so is buying brand X at Macy's at this moment in time.

I find it amusing that this topic would come up here.
You do realize that this counts as social media, right? Especially the off-topic section?

Just because no one is posting what they ate for breakfast doesn't mean it isn't exactly the same.

There is plenty of the exact same stuff on here as you would see on Facebook. Plus, anyone who is worried that the FBI,CIA,NSA,YMCA is watching what you do on Facebook etc - they do it everywhere else also.

I'm just sayin'...
(30 years of I.T. work has taught me more than I wanted to know)

You do realize that this counts as social media, right? Especially the off-topic section?

Just because no one is posting what they ate for breakfast doesn't mean it isn't exactly the same.

There is plenty of the exact same stuff on here as you would see on Facebook. Plus, anyone who is worried that the FBI,CIA,NSA,YMCA is watching what you do on Facebook etc - they do it everywhere else also.

I'm just sayin'...

This isn't social media, this is just a bunch of knuckle draggers talking about jeeps :) I view it like this, what we talk about here is not any different than what we would be talking about if I were in your garage right now (or if you were in mine). The only difference is that I live in Norcal and you live in Socal so we needed @Chris to start a forum so we had a way to communicate. I know you are technically correct but I like to think we're better than the masses since we share a love of all things TJ related.

Reactions: derekmac and StG58

I'm just sayin'...

Senior Systems Engineer, semi-retired since, well, awhile.

You're very correct. Garbage in = Garbage out.
...and yes, this is technically Social Media.

I'm not trying to be snarky (honestly) - but there is *zero* difference.
Well, there's one difference - we're all nice to each other ;)
Other than that, it is exactly the same as far as dissemination of information, and collection of information by anyone that wishes to.
It is also, exactly as easy to find out who posted, and where from if you have access to the right equipment - which, btw, the feds tapped the major internet backbones both before and after they go through the major providers. They can see it all.
Everything.

If you think it's hard to find out who is at a keyboard, or where it's at - you are fooling yourself. The second (millisecond) a computer attaches to the internet, they have the ability to find it. Even the TOR network, which was supposedly untraceable, was totally compromised.

Don't think anything is secure - it isn't. It's a sad fact of life now.

Reactions: StG58
I'm not trying to be snarky (honestly) - but there is *zero* difference.
Well, there's one difference - we're all nice to each other ;)
Other than that, it is exactly the same as far as dissemination of information, and collection of information by anyone that wishes to.
It is also, exactly as easy to find out who posted, and where from if you have access to the right equipment - which, btw, the feds tapped the major internet backbones both before and after they go through the major providers. They can see it all.
Everything.

If you think it's hard to find out who is at a keyboard, or where it's at - you are fooling yourself. The second (millisecond) a computer attaches to the internet, they have the ability to find it. Even the TOR network, which was supposedly untraceable, was totally compromised.

Don't think anything is secure - it isn't. It's a sad fact of life now.
:D

Reactions: Ryan Thomas
Social media is what the cool kids use. You know, when you need to use something like Snapchat to add filters to your photos and make your messages self destruct... well I won't go any further, haha!

I look at forums as social media for adults. I look at Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc., as purveyors of fake news and social media for children.

Not to offend anyone who uses it of course. Those are my opinions and my opinions alone.

I built the biggest Jeep only Facebook page in Alaska. It was nothing but drama queen draw station. Alaskans are the most entitled bastards on earth or at least they think they are. I gave the page away with the condition they purchase the decals and shirt part of it. Made out like a bandit. It doesnt seem to be doing as well now. But time will tell.

I have been looking for a page like this. So far everybody seems ok and there isnt a lot of bad info being put out. The Wrangler forum to me has become a joke. Go looking for help and you have all these rookies that bought their jeep last month giving advice. And then they mgive the old pros a hard time and try to belittle them.

I will say this about the internet backbone tapping, though - They use some *really neat* tech to do it!
The first time people found out about it years ago was when it was revealed they were tapping the under-sea cables... WITH SUBMARINES!
I mean, that's pretty cool by itself ;)

I built the biggest Jeep only Facebook page in Alaska. It was nothing but drama queen draw station. Alaskans are the most entitled bastards on earth or at least they think they are. I gave the page away with the condition they purchase the decals and shirt part of it. Made out like a bandit. It doesnt seem to be doing as well now. But time will tell.

I have been looking for a page like this. So far everybody seems ok and there isnt a lot of bad info being put out. The Wrangler forum to me has become a joke. Go looking for help and you have all these rookies that bought their jeep last month giving advice. And then they mgive the old pros a hard time and try to belittle them.
Yep, that's why I like this site so much! Being an adult, and acting like an adult seem to go hand in hand here ;)
Good stuff!