Soft chirp when I let off the brake pedal

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
My TJ has been doing this ever since I bought it last October. (It's a 2003.) When I take my foot off the brake pedal there is a soft chirp/hoot sound. It is not inside the cab; it is outside the vehicle. Sitting in the driver's seat it sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger side, but I know that can be deceptive.

Has anyone had this problem and found the remedy? Thanks!

I'm not sure but I think you have drum brakes in the rear?

If so, it's pretty common for the brake shoes to squeak as they move against the backing plate. I've heard it most often when releasing the brake pedal while stopped. If that's what it is, it's noting to be concerned about.

I'm not sure but I think you have drum brakes in the rear?

If so, it's pretty common for the brake shoes to squeak as they move against the backing plate. I've heard it most often when releasing the brake pedal while stopped. If that's what it is, it's noting to be concerned about.
Good thought. I'll take a look at that. Even if it's nothing to worry about, it's still really annoying. I'd like to make it stop making that sound if I can.

You need to lube between the brake shoe and backing plate. There are 3x contact points per shoe. Use a high temp brake grease. I like sylglide. I use a screwdriver to pry the shoe off the plate while I sneak in an acid brush with a little lube on it. Clean everything up good first with brake clean.

“clean and adjust” is a maintenance item on drum brakes.

Had that same thing with my '03. Pulled the drums and a bunch of rusty, broken hardware fell out.

It may just need some anti-seize on the contact points, but likely you should get a hardware kit and rebuild them.

Good thought. I'll take a look at that. Even if it's nothing to worry about, it's still really annoying. I'd like to make it stop making that sound if I can.
If I recall from your build thread, didn't you remove the radio? I'd recommend installing it and turning that little knob clockwise until the noise goes away :D :D