Soft shackles—proper use and fitting up

They are handy, but I don't think they can spread the load out wide enough if the winch is heavily loaded.

I carry a proper tree strap but for quick pulls the soft shackle is great. Here my transfer case popped out of gear into neutral. Jeep needed to roll one way or the other to get it back in any gear but couldn't push it. Winched to a nearby tree. Easy pull.

IMG_9520.JPG

To what end is any of it best?

Load testing shows #2 breaks at a slightly higher load. Not that the difference should ever come into play, but may as well put it on like that as it costs nothing.

Do they have any reasonable numbers showing what the reduction in strength is for the various methods of use? I suspect that while it may be there, it will still break at much higher loads than a winch can create.

No Ronny just covers the basic pro/cons of each, some dos/donts as well as why you may still need to carry both.

If you wanted to carry a bow shackle or two in case another vehicle didn't have a recovery point suitable for a soft shackle what size(s) would you carry? A 1/2" and a 3/4"

I would stick with 3/4 rated at a minimum of 4 3/4 Ton WLL.

I'd carry a single Crosby Alloy screw pin in 3/4". Has about 14,000 lbs. WLL with double that for a proof load and a design factor of around 60,000 lbs. breaking if I'm reading the specs correctly.

If possible, try and select the Alloy grade given a choice.

Crosby part number for that one is 1017538. It may be easier to find the 9500 WLL shackles like Crosby part number 1018491 or Peerless 8058705 which is what I have used for years.

Reactions: psrivats
The price and description of "imported" on the Peerless makes me wonder if it is the same product you bought years ago? Also no mention of alloys. As far as that goes some of the Crosby's say "alloy" and some say "alloy pin".

The price and description of "imported" on the Peerless makes me wonder if it is the same product you bought years ago? Also no mention of alloys. As far as that goes some of the Crosby's say "alloy" and some say "alloy pin".

The non alloy standard grade will likely be the 4 3/4 ton WLL, the alloy version will go up to the 7 ton.

Reactions: Blackjack

When it comes to imported rigging I only recommend sourcing from American based companies like Peerless. That way if you have concerns you can reach out they should have no problem providing documentation to back up their product.

I'd carry a single Crosby Alloy screw pin in 3/4". Has about 14,000 lbs. WLL with double that for a proof load and a design factor of around 60,000 lbs. breaking if I'm reading the specs correctly.

If possible, try and select the Alloy grade given a choice.
For other readers info there are manufacturers equivalent in quality to Crosby like Columbus McKinnon and Van Beest.

Reactions: mrblaine
For other readers info there are manufacturers equivalent in quality to Crosby like Columbus McKinnon and Van Beest.

He asked what "I" would carry, not what I could find that would do the job. I carry a Crosby. I have a Van Beest and a few other alloy versions, I like the Crosby.

Reactions: Apparition