Soft shackles—proper use and fitting up

I carry a total of 4. Two are 3/4" TRE and two are 7/16" Chinese. Maybe it doesn't make sense, but I use the TRE shackles anytime I have to winch up something and the Chinese shackles if I'm pulling on level ground. For the price, it was hard not to try them. Also, I now only carry one D-ring.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TDCHY2X/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Nightmare9
I picked up 2 of the UCreative from Amazon
I only had one chance to use them. I looped one around the front axel of a YJ to try and pull him over the rock he was stuck on. I put a fair amount of force on it with the wench. But the YJ didn’t budge.

I picked up 2 of the UCreative from Amazon
I only had one chance to use them. I looped one around the front axel of a YJ to try and pull him over the rock he was stuck on. I put a fair amount of force on it with the wench. But the YJ didn’t budge.

You hooked up to the axle?

For the guys with die grinders. Instead of stone style bits, you can use a double cut carbide rotary file. It’ll cut through the steel on your bumper like a hot knife through butter.

Don’t let the bit chatter when you’re cutting, it will chip off the bit’s teeth unnecessarily.

Just remember to wear safety glasses and a grinding shield. Steel will be flying like crazy.

You can get them from McMaster Carr, Grainger, and other tool suppliers. They’re not cheap, but when taken care of, they’ll last a long time.

CF0D4FFF-B6D1-494A-ACB0-A36E21DBA784.jpeg

This is what they look like. These are a shaped set. They come in many different shapes so you can choose what you think will work best for your configuration.

You hooked up to the axle?
The YJ was plowed into the rock pretty good. I remember that he had a winch on the front, but it was broken. I don't recall if he had hooks or another connection point on the front.
My Jeep was above him on a set of rock waterfalls.
I was thinking the angle down to the axle seemed like it might lift it up over the rock.
I don't know if that is a bad technique or not.

But the shackle easily looped around the axle housing and connected to the Factor 55 flat link. You can't do that with a standard D shackle.

About 25 years ago, I seen the aftermath of a guy trying to pull someone else out of a mud hole by the rear axle with a regular old tow strap. When I rolled up the axle was not where it was supposed to be. LOL.

For the guys with die grinders. Instead of stone style bits, you can use a double cut carbide rotary file. It’ll cut through the steel on your bumper like a hot knife through butter.

Don’t let the bit chatter when you’re cutting, it will chip off the bit’s teeth unnecessarily.

Just remember to wear safety glasses and a grinding shield. Steel will be flying like crazy.

You can get them from McMaster Carr, Grainger, and other tool suppliers. They’re not cheap, but when taken care of, they’ll last a long time.

View attachment 211611

This is what they look like. These are a shaped set. They come in many different shapes so you can choose what you think will work best for your configuration.
Let me see, $100, $200, $300. LOL

Nice set.

A set isn't necessary, one bit will do. Carbide isn't necessary either, high speed steel (hss) will do. Always think of any tool as an investment in being able to do things now, and in the future.

Just as that soft shackle is a new tool for doing better rigging now, and in the future. So would that carbide tool bit be more ammo in your arsenal of repair.

TRE is where I prefer to spend my money versus a chinese product sold by Amazon or anywhere else for that matter.
I trust every product TRE (Tactical Recovery Equipment) sells and the quality and workmanship are outstanding. It's not worth saving a few bucks on equipment that can cause serious injury when the shit hits the fan!

https://www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product-category/soft-shackles/

I carry a total of 4. Two are 3/4" TRE and two are 7/16" Chinese. Maybe it doesn't make sense, but I use the TRE shackles anytime I have to winch up something and the Chinese shackles if I'm pulling on level ground. For the price, it was hard not to try them. Also, I now only carry one D-ring.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TDCHY2X/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I just got a 2 pack of those in gray. I’ve never even held a soft shackle before getting these, let alone use one, but these seem pretty nice, and beefy as well. I like the protective sleeves that come with them. They seem thin though.

Like you, I plan to get a couple TRE ones also.

Now I just need to go play with them sometime.

Reactions: Irun
I now have a total of ten soft shackles. Four TRE shackles, Four from Safe X-Tract and two from Olympus offroad. I still have three regular Shackles with me as well. Hell I even have four snatch blocks. Three TRE ones for use with synthetic rope and one old ARB one for when steel cable is in use with others winches. I probably carry way more than others due to volunteering with an offroad recovery group on a fairly regular basis here in CO. And I’ve got all sorts of specialized recovery crap. Some is carried all the time and some is thrown in just for recovery’s. I got to say I much prefer soft shackles I even made some mini soft shackles and use them for key chains

I am getting ready to purchase some TRE soft shackles (and a thimble & fairlead), Should I go with the 3/4"soft shackles? Will the 3/4" fit my standard shackle tabs (1" hole)?

Also, If I buy the TRE thimble, do I need to "re-thread" the syn line? If I do need to re thread, should I get a threading tool to do it, or wing it?

3/4 are the ones you want. It will need to be threaded but i have no experience doing so.

yes, 3/4" soft shackle in 10" or 15". I use 10's. As others have posted, you need to round the sharp edge from your eyes.
You will need to thread the new thimble on and you don't need a fid to do it. There are some great videos on how to cut the end of synthetic rope so it comes out nice and smooth and how much to soak.

I have heard that gutting a sharpie mimics a fid, what do you think?
That will probably work. You just need something kind of pointy that can hold onto the end of the line. The sharpie body with duct tape will probably work fine. I saw where someone was buying knitting needles and cutting them then using duct tape to hold the end.

Reactions: WSS