Soft Shackles on Amazon - $29 for a pair

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I ordered and received these. They were only $29 for a pair and came with three protective sleeves and a carrying bag for each. Quality looks to be good, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TDCHY2X/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Synthetic Rope Soft Shacles Small Size.jpg

I've noticed the double strand soft shackles. Is there any meaningful difference between those and the ones where the second rope is fully buried?

I've noticed the double strand soft shackles. Is there any meaningful difference between those and the ones where the second rope is fully buried?

Unsure. I tried to find some breaking strength comparisons between the two approaches, but was unable to find anything meaningful. I did notice that the advertised breaking strength for the 7/16" dual strand approach is consistently 35,000 lbs. For the older, fully buried, style I saw 1/2" shackles advertising 38,000 lb breaking strength. Since I already have a set of the older style, and because of the price, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try these.

taken from the Safe Xtract website.

“Not all Soft Shackles are created equal. There are five common soft shackle designs, each having a different strength capacity. The weakest and cheapest of these is the spliced loop single leg made with a diamond knot, which offers about 104% of the single line Minimum Tensile Strength (MTS). The spliced loop single leg design is favored by many manufacturers because it is the easiest to tie and uses the least amount of rope, making it cheaper to manufacture. In contrast, the strongest design, the button knot double leg. This design uses more rope and it takes much longer to tie the button knot – however, this design offers 225% of the single line MTS.”

In contrast, the strongest design, the button knot double leg. This design uses more rope and it takes much longer to tie the button knot – however, this design offers 225% of the single line MTS.”

I expected this design to be stronger, but didn't expect it to be that different. Thanks! (y)

How do these compare to the TRE soft shackles?
The Amazon soft shackles are made using 7/16” rope.

The TRE atv/utv (4000lb vehicle) Shackles are using 1/4” rope.

The soft shackles in the TRE kit for 6000 lb and up are made using 3/4” rope.

My neighbor bought a pair of the listed Amazon shackles for his Can Am side by side. They look fine for what I know.

I bought a pair of TRE 3/4” shackles for my Jeep and/or truck because I believe @mrblaine can vouch for the company and the quality.
And........‘merica’

Reactions: Chris

The TRE atv/utv (4000lb vehicle) Shackles are using 1/4” rope.

My neighbor bought a pair of the listed Amazon shackles for his Can Am side by side. They look fine for what I know.

I bought a pair of TRE 3/4” shackles for my Jeep and/or truck because I believe @mrblaine can vouch for the company and the quality.
And........‘merica’

Yes, all of my soft shackles and rope in general is TRE, so I’m with you on that one. 👍

I really like the products that TRE makes.

Reactions: jgaz
Those Ucreative are the exact same ones I ordered back in June. They were $17 each, and I picked up 2.
I used one of them once, we had an older Jeep hung up on the axle. We looped it around the axle and I connected my winch. I put enough pressure on it to pull my Jeep across the rocks while holding the brakes. The stuck Jeep didn't budge. We had to back him up and try another angle. Turns out he Sheered off one of the Leaf Spring Perches.
It seems to hold up fine, it was a little dirty from all the dirt and grease on his OLD ASS axle. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Irun

Coincidentally a few days ago, I asked TRE about the 3/4” rope... their website is worded a bit weird (or I am lacking in reading comprehension) and made me wonder if I was misunderstanding something or if they truly use 3/4” rope out of an abundance of caution.

They clarified what I thought... the 3/4” diameter is the thickest part of the shackle where it doubles back on itself to make the loop. Essentially you have a doubled up 3/8 (3/4) rope ; one buried within the other for the body of the shackle.

The base rope is 3/8 as would be expected and more than strong enough for Jeep recoveries.

Last edited: