Soft top owners: You're away from home and want to take the top down. Where do you put your windows?

Just bought a bag like this for mine. I have my rear seat removed, so I hope to lay the bagged windows flat in the back, with tools, recovery kit, or other small amount of weight on top of it to keep it from moving around or blowing out at highway speeds.
Couple bungie cords would probably take care of that.

Reactions: lindsey97
Cheapest way I store my windows with me all the time in the summer is using a folding chair bag, works like a charm.

View attachment 99033View attachment 99034

Exactly what I do. I use a beach blanket between the windows. Has been working well for years. And they are available if weather goes bad. In our case, heat can be the thing that makes you want the windows back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this bag. It stores the windows and half door tops well, but the windows will still scratch a bit if you are riding with them in the Jeep because of a little dirt and vibration. I leave mine at home most of the time to be honest.
43354.jpg

Reactions: lindsey97
If I’m running my top, i roll the back window up and and use small dog leashes as the snaps to hold it up tighter. Side windows I leave at home and I usually run soft doors from spring to fall. Most summer my Jeep wears a bikini plus and tonneau cover. I keep a wind Jammer in the back in case I need to go on he highway and I forgot my hoodie.

Mine are sitting at home in the basement laid out flat on a table, while me and the TJ are here at work. So, I place a lot of faith on the weather forecasts around here. :D

I am quite certain this is my top: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB0UYZU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I've always done the same, except I leave the entire hardtop at home and just place very good faith in the weather. If there's even a remote chance of rain, I don't chance it.

Reactions: Mikester86
I've always done the same, except I leave the entire hardtop at home and just place very good faith in the weather. If there's even a remote chance of rain, I don't chance it.
I don't have nearly that much faith in the weatherman! Plus I'm enjoying being able to have the top down for some part of the day when it's nice even if it's going to rain later and I'll need to button it all back up.

Once we get into the dead of summer I can also see having the top down in the morning or late in the evening, but putting it back up in the middle of the day when it's 100°+ for some A/C relief. It's my first year with my Jeep, so haven't gone through a Texas summer with it yet, but if it's like it was when I rode a motorcycle the wind from riding in the summer heat doesn't do you any favors.

As an aside, I found it interesting when I came across an article that showed that if you're riding for any length of time at temperatures above 93° it's actually better to wear a solid jacket/pants that don't breathe or otherwise shield your body from the wind, since all that hot wind hitting your skin at speed will actually increase your body temperature more than it is able to cool you off from evaporating any sweat.

Reactions: Ericict and Chris
being sub tropical we can get a short downpour now and again in the early spring..... I leave my rear 3 windows at home and put the half door uppers in behind the back seat.....usually I end up darting for a gas station or underground car park to shelter from it.

Disappointed with what the market offered as far as quality,I'm looking into a Plano hard telescoping rod case to fasten to my rear bar . Black plastic , tubular with a handle.

Will let you know how it works out .

Mine actually tuck in nicely behind the rear seat especially if you have the top down. You can tuck the windows between the folded top and the seatback and the pressure will keep it from sagging down. They also stay mostly hidden.

This exactly what I've always done with my TJs.

Due to my air compressor tank and all my recovery tools I can't get my windows behind the seat.

I'm going to give this a try.

I learned the hard way.

I was reading this thread and really didn't lock in....and took a trip to Gatlinburg with the top off and came home only with the doors and top no windows on a 4 and 1/2 hour drive.

By 11 that Sunday night I was nearly out of my mind.

I have the Plano model number 4588 airliner in hand and if it doesn't look conspicuous I'm going to see how it will work.

Andy

I have the trek top NX and an alien sun shade so I fold the front part of the top back and put the windows on the sun shade with towels between them and then close the front part of the top back over them. So I have a bikini top with the windows stored above my head. My soft doors go behind the seat, for me it works great and I dont have to roll the windows.

I have the trek top NX and an alien sun shade so I fold the front part of the top back and put the windows on the sun shade with towels between them and then close the front part of the top back over them. So I have a bikini top with the windows stored above my head. My soft doors go behind the seat, for me it works great and I dont have to roll the windows.
That's probably the slickest all around system... It kind of gives you versatility plus solves all the soft-top related problems and I would think those things fold down great.. when I say that , I don't know how they operate.

Great idea! I have the same top. I would think that three windows plus towels would make enough bulk to make the top very tight when you close the front part. Maybe even some issues with the metal tailgate bar on the back window. Do you have any pictures of how you do this? I dont have an alien sun shade so maybe that is where the room comes from.

I have this bag. It stores the windows and half door tops well, but the windows will still scratch a bit if you are riding with them in the Jeep because of a little dirt and vibration. I leave mine at home most of the time to be honest.
View attachment 99094
Just bought the exact bag on eBay for $47. Very pleased with it. Has a soft sock type tube sewn in it diagonally that stores the lower bar for your rear softtop window.