Soft top protection

mchittester

I just wanted to let everyone know about 303 protectant. I just purchased this product and used it on my 1998 Wrangler TJ soft top and the stuff is amazing, makes it look like a new top, make sure to get it thoroughly cleaned before using! Used it on the complete interior and on the tires, excellent product, best I’ve found!

303 is some pretty amazing stuff. It even took off all the water spots on a fiberglass boat of mine that nothing else I had touched and made it shine like new.

I suppose it is safe to use on soft top tinted windows?
It's undoubtedly safe but it will also undoubtedly leave a residue for a less than crystal clear window. I'd use Plexus plastic window cleaner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack72 and Sancho
I should look into both products. My soft top gets clean whenever I run thru the carwash, Ive never put any sort of cleaner on it.

The Plexus stuff is interesting, I have to see if I can find some--my windows are so scratched and dirtied that if the sun hits them just right in the mornings or evenings I literally cannot see a damn thing.

I should look into both products. My soft top gets clean whenever I run thru the carwash, Ive never put any sort of cleaner on it.

The Plexus stuff is interesting, I have to see if I can find some--my windows are so scratched and dirtied that if the sun hits them just right in the mornings or evenings I literally cannot see a damn thing.

Plexus is used quite a bit on motorcycle windshields. You can find it at most motorcycle stores or motorcycle accessory stores. I use it as a quick wax on my motorcycles when I’m being lazy as well as the windshields. I’ve used on my soft top windows as well. It’s not a cure all for everything, but helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Plexus product won't remove scratches, it's just a cleaner/final polish. To get scratches out like you described you need either Novus or Meguires plastic window plastic window scratch remover products. They are multi-step products with a coarser polish for scratches and a finer grade or two to do the final polishing. They do a great job so long as the scratches aren't massive or extra deep. I like the Novus 3-part kit which I think does a better job when the scratches are more noticeable. Amazon carries them, it's doubtful you'd find either in an auto parts store.

Keep in mind to never use, or stop using, paper towels on plastic windows. Paper towels are made from pulverized wood products and they impart millions of little fine scratches each time they're used. Those scratches build up until the window turns opaque and yellow.

Reactions: tworley
I've been using 303 for years on jeep softtops. That, and silicone lube spray on the zippers. My 2005 TJ still has the original 2005 softtop. After 14 years, my top is in excellent condition. 303 is the way to go.
I use BestTop window wax on the windows.

I love 303, they sell a convertible top cleaner also.

I can’t fathom taking a soft top Jeep through a car wash. Seems it would kill the windows.

Reactions: Zaythedad
I love 303, they sell a convertible top cleaner also.

I can’t fathom taking a soft top Jeep through a car wash. Seems it would kill the windows.
I’m not sure about other car washes, but my local one uses soft foam bristles and in the last four years I’ve never experienced any issues with damage to the windows or top.

There’s always the touch free option which shoots your car with jets of water but that usually results in the inside of my Jeep getting washed too lol.

Reactions: Zaythedad
Plus one on the 303 aerospace. I use it on everything! I have even waxed the car with it. Just need to make sure you wipe it dry right away, or it leaves spots.