Soft top pull pin: What's broken?

A

AllenTC2

It's warmed up a bit so I decided to go ahead and replace the soft top. While removing the old one, I discovered that springy pull pin on the passenger side was not "captured".

That's all there is, the pin, the pull knob and the spring.

Am I missing something or is there a trick to getting them to stay attached once in the hole?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Pin in question" link took me to a facebook something or other that didn't work.

I can't really answer your question anyway other than if it don't pull itself. push it with your thumb.

It might not stay that way and I could very well be wrong.

Holy crap.....sorry for the ginormous pic of my palm. At least it's not hairy.

It's the pin that releases the soft top frame from that bracket on top of the door.

Reactions: Travis
When I got replacement door surrounds from Bestop, they came with that pin/spring setup. I removed it, as it is for the sunrider feature, which I don't have. I'll look for that to compare it to your photo.

I haven't been able to find it online, though I did come across a pic that showed the pins and the bracket the frame rests in. Is it part of the door surround, or is it removable? I'm going to a Jeep junkyard today to see if I can find one.

I haven't been able to find it online, though I did come across a pic that showed the pins and the bracket the frame rests in. Is it part of the door surround, or is it removable? I'm going to a Jeep junkyard today to see if I can find one.
Mine was a removable part of the Bestop door surround. As I said, I removed mine and put them in the parts bin. I still haven't gone out to look for it...

Maybe Bestop? The one shown in the photos is attached to an OEM Mopar surround.

I emailed Bestop with that pic. Guy said he wasn't sure, asked about markings on the old skin. I couldn't find any really legible ones. The frame looks to be OEM. The owner's manual shows those plastic 'collars' (for lack of a better word) that slide back over that elbow just aft of the header (for the Sunrider feature?), and my frame has those. Which reminds me, I also need to get a roll pin or bolt for that elbow....

I had the same thing happen to my top the last time I had it down, it looks that the pin is pressed in place and it just wore out. I was able to get it back in. I plan on figuring some other alternative. Maybe a brass or stainless pin with a cotter pin to hold it in place.

I spoke with Bestop last night as I also needed this piece. The part# is 517.55P (that dot might have to be a dash) and it is a made-to-order part. They said it would take 4-6 weeks to deliver, but it was about $20 for the pair.

Yep. Been searching for this everywhere. Its called a "plunger" in some sites. Discontinued, but as aboyandhistj post #15 (thanks a lot for the info!) stated above, its at Bestop. Not on their site, you have to call in. I ordered mine on 8/20/20. Here is the pic they sent me:
1597931163340.png
It is supposed to fit my original Mopar sport bar.

Thanks to everyone posting here. I looked everywhere for the plunger piece. Thanks to the information here I just ordered a set from BesTop. They are $20.00 for the pair. I just ordered them. 800-845-3567

Thanks to everyone posting here. I looked everywhere for the plunger piece. Thanks to the information here I just ordered a set from BesTop. They are $20.00 for the pair. I just ordered them. 800-845-3567

Thank you very much! I just lost mine today. Kind of upset seeing how my top isn't even a summer old yet and it's losing parts, not sitting tight either