Soft Top Question

Hvymtlc5

New to Jeeps (TJ). One we are buying has a factory hardtop that has never been off. We want to take the top off for the majority of the summer. Is there a soft top we can buy that doesn't require any frame? Nothing elaborate just something to keep the Jeep dry if it starts to rain. Thanks much

New to Jeeps (TJ). One we are buying has a factory hardtop that has never been off. We want to take the top off for the majority of the summer. Is there a soft top we can buy that doesn't require any frame? Nothing elaborate just something to keep the Jeep dry if it starts to rain. Thanks much

www.bestop.com

They are the go to favorites for many Jeep owners. They have a frameless option called the Trektop NX I believe. Scroll through their site and I am sure you’ll find a product you want.

I am having trouble keeping my new (to me) Jeep dry with a bestop Trektop NX. My tailgate leaks, to the tune of a swimming pool in my trunk, floorboard, and front foot well of the passenger and driver side over 30 minutes of rain. I've reached out to Bestop to figure some stuff out, somewhat helpful but haven't yielded any results.

I say this for two reasons:
1. I wouldn't buy the trektop NX unless you are looking for premium features like sunrider and good fabric. If you do, you'll need to figure out how to reliably seal the tailgate. It isn't an isolated issue based on Google. I'll update once I get it figured out.. If I do.

Otherwise, another Bestop that seals the tailgate better would be preferable to keep the rain out (your original goal).

2. Anyone get a once leaking tailgate bar fixed? I've tried everything I've found for this issue except going back to Mopar OEM. It's installed correctly from what I can tell, looks reasonable, just leaks when it rains @ a point at the upper left 3rd of the tailgate, where the tailgate meets the tailgate bar.

It does look good tho! Image is exactly where it leaks.

20180420_173517.jpg

@Skor2003, it sounds like you have other leaking issues if you have water in the front footwells. Unless your TJ is parked nose down on a hill, and the water is flowing from the tailgate area to the front...

I bought a Pavement ends Sprint top, it’s a bestop company and much cheaper than the trek top, but you will need some factory soft top parts to install it. This vid shows how to install the top. I was going to do a review, but my Jeep has been in a roll over, so it’ll have to wait. U can pick up this top for around $400. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Skor2003, it sounds like you have other leaking issues if you have water in the front footwells. Unless your TJ is parked nose down on a hill, and the water is flowing from the tailgate area to the front...

Yup - the worst time was with the nose parked downhill. I think the carpet helps it spread as well. I only care.. Because I care about potential rust