Soft top rant

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Rant/ So, Jeep has been making vehicles with soft tops for what, 75+ years? For the last 70 years, probably, the top has functioned reasonably well. Took the wife's new JKU on a 350 mile road trip this last Saturday an the damn thing peed on me. Got to looking around and the rear seat area needs a bilge pump! I thought OK, I'll go online and see what the scoop is. They all leak to some degree or another. WTF!? Seriously? /rant

Reactions: Chris
I love my hardtop, that's all I can say.
There's a whole section in the FSB just for the hardtop, @Chris, There's newly designed gaskets ($100 each) and a full kit of odds and ends to fix it. ($125) You know how on the TJ'S you can mess around bending the upper half door rods to fix an alignment problem? Not on the JK'S, it's two square plastic mounting tabs. No fiddling about with them, you'll break'm. Sheesh!

At least someone came out with decent upper half door sliders, finally.

A hard top is on the wife's list, but that means a full set of doors, matching paint, and figuring out where to store them 8 months out of the year.

Luckily, she loves driving it. Though that's gonna cost me a ton in off road mods. Because now I've got to figure out how to get a JKU into all the places the TJ goes.

That's lame. I have an aftermarket Pavement Ends frameless on mine. Pouring ass rain and snow when I was in Idaho, not a single leak.

Reactions: StG58
That's lame. I have an aftermarket Pavement Ends frameless on mine. Pouring ass rain and snow when I was in Idaho, not a single leak.

I went out and checked those out, just for giggles. They look pretty nice. I'll look into them further if I can't get the stock top figured out.

I haven't seen this FSB!

Here you go @Chris, it's for the JK's though, so not much of a help for us TJ guys...

I did rename it, so the title is kinda misleading.

Attachments

• Adjusting JK upper half doors.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 263
Oh, okay! I thought you were saying this was for TJs as well. I was like what the hell?!

Wow... just read it. Do they really have this many water leak issues with the JK?

Oh, okay! I thought you were saying this was for TJs as well. I was like what the hell?!
Wow... just read it. Do they really have this many water leak issues with the JK?

I guess that it's common enough that they redesigned the door gaskets, the header gaskets and came up with a FSB and "fix-it kit" for it. It's possible that your JK will never leak, it's possible that your JK will never stop leaking, and it's possible that if it leaks now you can fix it.

One of the SIL's has the same model of JK as the wife's, and his doesn't leak a drop so it's a crap shoot. One thing is for certain, taking it to the Stealership to get the leaks fixed is a non-starter. The JK guys have been posting that only about one in five Dealerships ever get the leaks straightened out. The Dealerships that do get the leaks fixed all seem to have a technician that specializes in fixing the leaks and stays pretty busy doing just that.

Man, this JK is really cutting into my TJ time.

Edited to add: There are several reports of new JK's getting lemon lawed out because of this.

Crazy! I've never had any leak issues with my TJ whatsoever. You'd think they would have followed suit with the JK.

The top design was new for the JK. Lots of subtle differences between the TJ and the JK, some good and some not so good. I've got a pretty crappy top on the TJ that the Dealership I bought it from put on there to replace a worn out factory top. Other than some minor issues that were easily fixed, I haven't had any problems with the TJ leaking. Heck, I've got two gorilla tape patches on mine and it still doesn't leak enough to bother with. And it's a crappy Rampage top made out of saran wrap and monkey spit. The top itself on the JK is a really high quality piece, but the seal designs are horrible. I'm pretty sure that Bestop still makes the tops and Chrysler designed and builds the rest of the assembly. It's super quite, fits snugly without flapping around, the sun rider flip back thing is really cool and everything works the way it should. But it leaks, badly, on some of the JK's.

So now I'll be fiddling about with JKU instead of working on the TJ or heading out into the puckerbrush.

Oh, as an aside, the 3.6 is an amazing engine. The drive train on the JKU seems to be working out well so far. Good economy, lots of power and very smooth. The true test is when it cacks it's first hairball, and I dive in to fix it. If it is easy to trouble shoot and repair, then a leaky top won't seem so bad.

Glad to hear your liking the JKU. I'll bet it's a world of difference driving that 3.6 over your 4 banger!

Glad to hear your liking the JKU. I'll bet it's a world of difference driving that 3.6 over your 4 banger!

It is a whole different driving experience, for sure. The thing is, for "jeepness" the TJ and the JKU are about the same. The 3.6 is nice, the auto trans is smooth as silk but going down the road is not much different. I just drop a gear and go for it with my four angry squirrels where the JKU doesn't even break a sweat. It would have been much smarter to get the wife into a TJ Rubicon, and screw the four doors. More money for mods on the SE, and the wife would have been almost as happy. No place for three grandkids though.

Played with the passenger doors on the JK today, and got them aligned with the body correctly. Fiddled with the upper half doors and seals. I'm calling it a success for all normal Oregon rain events.

LOL, so weird. I just throw my TJ doors on and that's it. No alignment necessary.

Same with mine. Even with the crappy top and gorilla tape patches it doesn't leak. The top and upper doors on the JK are just finicky though. There's lots of gaskets involved, and seams. The next decent day the whole thing is getting torn apart and looked at.

Seems like one more way they made the JKs more complicated.

It makes guys like you and I appreciate the simplicity of the TJ much more, that's for sure.