Soft top rant

+1

The TJ really is the last of the Jeeps. Between the marketing guys, the engineers and the .gov folks, the JK's just lost the simplicity of a Jeep.

Reactions: Chris
Yep, I agree.

And of course you can't really blame Jeep. There's always pressure to improve (though I do think that some things just don't need improving) from corporate to boost sales. In addition to that, you've also got the EPA (government) and other agencies who are forcing them to do things like put more fuel efficient engines in (as well as 9 speed automatic transmissions) in order to meed EPA regulations for fuel economy.

All of that stuff adds up to something that can never be as simple as an old TJ. Truly the last of it's kind!

Yep, I agree.

And of course you can't really blame Jeep. There's always pressure to improve (though I do think that some things just don't need improving) from corporate to boost sales. In addition to that, you've also got the EPA (government) and other agencies who are forcing them to do things like put more fuel efficient engines in (as well as 9 speed automatic transmissions) in order to meed EPA regulations for fuel economy.

All of that stuff adds up to something that can never be as simple as an old TJ. Truly the last of it's kind!

Ah, Chris, you have coerced a deep, hearty belly laugh out of me over that last sentence. Having started with my uncle's CJ-2A and moving on to my own CJ-5, I find that the word "simple" is quite humorous when applied to the TJ/LJ series. Those classic Jeeps had no EFI, no OPDA, no ABS or SKIM, no air bags or clutch interlocks. No seat belt alarms - heck, in the CJ-2A, no seat belts! I could go on, but...

I do, however, take your point when comparing TJ's and JK's. The JK's designers (with way too much help from the government) have added too much whiz-bang stuff while achieving too little additional off-road ability. Too many point failure sources. Too much "lipstick on a pig" thinking (and don't even get me started on the JK aftermarket!). To quote the immortal Montgomery Scott, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain".

On the other hand, you can't argue with the sales numbers of the JK, and for any auto manufacturer that is the key metric. So maybe I'll just ride off in my little nostalgia bubble, remembering with somewhat fuzzy fondness the "good ol' days" when EVERYTHING was better...

Reactions: StG58
Ah, Chris, you have coerced a deep, hearty belly laugh out of me over that last sentence. Having started with my uncle's CJ-2A and moving on to my own CJ-5, I find that the word "simple" is quite humorous when applied to the TJ/LJ series. Those classic Jeeps had no EFI, no OPDA, no ABS or SKIM, no air bags or clutch interlocks. No seat belt alarms - heck, in the CJ-2A, no seat belts! I could go on, but...

I do, however, take your point when comparing TJ's and JK's. The JK's designers (with way too much help from the government) have added too much whiz-bang stuff while achieving too little additional off-road ability. Too many point failure sources. Too much "lipstick on a pig" thinking (and don't even get me started on the JK aftermarket!). To quote the immortal Montgomery Scott, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain".

On the other hand, you can't argue with the sales numbers of the JK, and for any auto manufacturer that is the key metric. So maybe I'll just ride off in my little nostalgia bubble, remembering with somewhat fuzzy fondness the "good ol' days" when EVERYTHING was better...

Well, yes, I agree with what you're saying. I had a 69 Camaro SS with a 350, and that thing was the simplest and easiest thing to work on imaginable, much like your uncles CJs. When you get back to that era (before ECUs, sensors, etc.), things were simple. Consequently, they also weren't as reliable (think about how finicky a carburetor can be when it comes to changes in weather, altitude, etc.). So, the TJ may not be as simple as it's predecessors, but when compared to the modern day vehicles (i.e. a Toyota FJ Cruiser or a JK), it's pretty darn simple!

You're right about the JKs though. Chrysler did what they had to to meet EPA regulations, but in the process they also built one of their best selling vehicles to date, the JKU. The sales on the JKU are astonishing, and rightfully so. They built a Jeep that can fit the entire family, but has the appeal of an SUV. It's the perfect vehicle for that modern family who wants something that looks "cool", without having to sacrifice the ability to carry their whole family, or lose the ability to carry luggage.

I respect the JK from an off-road standpoint. They are capable rigs in the right hands.

However, they've become to mainstream for me, and I don't want to be messing with more shit. My TJ is just the way I like it, and I like the fact that when it breaks, I can pretty much fix 95% of everything on it myself.

Reactions: StG58 and Neal
I gotta say, the wife's JKU is really growing on me. Can't wait to get it off road in some of the places that we take the TJ. It's longer and wider, but the transmission and the engine are lightyears ahead of the AX5 and four angry squirrels. It's got a Dana 44 in the back. I think it's going to work out well as an intermediate rig between the TJ and the Sub. Leaky soft top not withstanding.

I gotta say, the wife's JKU is really growing on me. Can't wait to get it off road in some of the places that we take the TJ. It's longer and wider, but the transmission and the engine are lightyears ahead of the AX5 and four angry squirrels. It's got a Dana 44 in the back. I think it's going to work out well as an intermediate rig between the TJ and the Sub. Leaky soft top not withstanding.

Put a V8 in that TJ and then tell me how you like it :D

That's on my to-do list. I'm going to do it, it's just going to be another year or two.

Oh man, Chris, I really like my four banger. I'm a little jealous of Frank and Stinger, but not enough to put all that time, effort and money into it. maybe once the little blue jeep is done, and the JKU is built to keep up with it I'll get a rat TJ to put a V8 in. It would be fun. ...and I love me some GM V8's.

I actually don't really have many complaints about the 4.0. It's got enough power and it gets the job done just fine.

However, a Chevy V8 in a TJ would be truly amazing. Just floor it and you're doing burnouts!