Soft top replacement

Gortch66

Need to replace my soft top on my 2001 tj. Been looking at some lower end, around $400. Quadratic. Has anyone used their tops? Or any recommendations?

If you are looking for a cheap top I have had ok luck with the smittybilt (I know) brand tops. They will be loose, floppy and noisy and the back window will be nearly impossible to zip properly but it's cheap and will keep the weather off your head

I had a quadratec sailcloth top on my last TJ and loved it ! It seemed quieter to me than the best top on my current TJ..

Reactions: SvtLdr
I know I buck the Bestop trend here, but I've installed three tops from AutoTopsDirect. Although they have served me well, as @P man said, they don't fit quite as wells as a factory top. My caveat in mentioning them is my Jeep is always parked inside, both at home and work, and I leave my windows out 8 - 9 months out of the year.

That said, I did have one that didn't fit correctly. However, when I contacted AutoTops about the problem, they sent me a new one no questions asked. I believe @TheBoogieman bought and installed one as well. The plus side for AutoTops is if someone slices a window, you're not out a fortune to replace it.

https://www.autotopsdirect.com/jeep-wrangler-tj-soft-top-s/29994.htm

Reactions: SvtLdr and P man
I have a Quadratec top, the tinted windows are $ here in Texas.

It flaps, literally just push up on it not even hard, and quiet. I need to make a Bow or something, but it’s pretty darn good. Haven’t had a Bestop in a long while, so cannot comment

If you want a tight, perfectly fitting top go with the Bestop. Pricey
If fitment isn't a big deal with you any old top will do. You typically get what you pay for.

If you want a tight, perfectly fitting top go with the Bestop.

Is this a Bestop? It fits your description. :unsure:

1659541896706.png

Last edited:
If you are looking for a cheap top I have had ok luck with the smittybilt (I know) brand tops. They will be loose, floppy and noisy and the back window will be nearly impossible to zip properly but it's cheap and will keep the weather off your head

I picked up a $250 Smittybilt soft top from Amazon and ruined the zipper on the rear window the second time I tried to install it. That was a month ago and I still haven’t gotten it fixed, but they seem willing to replace it if needed which is nice.

Reactions: P man
I have a Quadratec top, the tinted windows are $ here in Texas.

It flaps, literally just push up on it not even hard, and quiet. I need to make a Bow or something, but it’s pretty darn good. Haven’t had a Bestop in a long while, so cannot comment

Bend the two-bow (the one in front of the sport bar) up just a touch. I had a flappy front section (ok... I've teed that up for all of you, so swing away) and while sitting the drivers seat I put the slightest bend in the two bow and it solved the problem. Basically do a seated military press with the bar. Problem solved. Also resolved a pooling issue on the soft top.

Reactions: SSTJ
Need to replace my soft top on my 2001 tj. Been looking at some lower end, around $400. Quadratic. Has anyone used their tops? Or any recommendations?

I've had good luck with the Quadratec tops in the past. I've also had good luck with Rampage if you're looking for a frameless top.

shit I got a Smitty on amazon for bout 200 bones,,,for my brothers 2010 sport,,,piece of crap jeep,,,ha. but it fit tight an it's now 2 yrs old and is the best part of his 200kmi wrangler.....

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr
I know I buck the Bestop trend here, but I've installed three tops from AutoTopsDirect. Although they have served me well, as @P man said, they don't fit quite as wells as a factory top. My caveat in mentioning them is my Jeep is always parked inside, both at home and work, and I leave my windows out 8 - 9 months out of the year.

That said, I did have one that didn't fit correctly. However, when I contacted AutoTops about the problem, they sent me a new one no questions asked. I believe @TheBoogieman bought and installed one as well. The plus side for AutoTops is if someone slices a window, you're not out a fortune to replace it.

[URL]https://www.autotopsdirect.com/jeep-wrangler-tj-soft-top-s/29994.htm[/URL]

I think I saw in another post @Jerry Bransford got one too. I wonder if he has any feedback yet

Reactions: Irun
Cover the tailgate vent and turn the vent/AC on high for a couple of minutes. 🤫

Alright, so I slammed some press n seal wrap (I BBQ a lot, and use this crap a lot ha) and I could tell some difference. Sitting. At a light turned the ac tk recircle, and watched the top above me deflate, ha.

I’ll try the Military Press on the bow, and try to be gentle. Sounds like me to push and break the same thing ha.

8FD49185-94E2-4C54-99BF-1E7E91DDDAE6.jpeg

No joke.. I think I bent mine up a good two inches. You could tell it was a bit higher if the jeep was parked next to another TJ, as rare as that might be, but otherwise it worked fine and visually it was fine as well…

Tried to find a picture but everything I have seems to be a lower angle.. can’t see the top of the rig. I’ve since changed to a Trektop NX and couldn’t be much happier