Soft Tops: Fastback vs Traditional Top

Rick2004LJ

TJ Enthusiast
TLDR - Looking at repairing/replacing current OEM soft top - Pros/Cons of Fastback style soft top vs Traditional square style top, and/or any repair options for existing top.

2004 LJ (Unlimited) 95% pure trail rig - Our original OEM soft top is reaching the end of its useful life. We remove side windows and roll up back window when on the trail, but need it watertight while towing it (on a trailer) to the trails.

Basically looking for the least expensive option to keep it watertight/dry while trailering and easy to switch to (and back from) solid top only on the trail. No real consideration needed for daily driver, on road issues like road noise, visibility etc.

Current issues:
Need replacement back window - plastic cracking and zippers getting almost unusable.
Side windows getting increasingly harder to re-install.
Fabric still OK but due to age expect it to start having issues.

Looking for repair/window replacement solutions I have found they are limited for the LJ's:
Very few original OEM parts/windows available in the market.
Aftermarket options also limited to fit original OEM LJ frame - like no clear rear window available (only tinted) etc.

I have about decided it is time to bite the bullet and replace the entire top with aftermarket frame/hardware etc. so we can get options we want and future replacement/repair parts more available. The problem now is what is best option and first decision looks like a "Fastback" style or traditional full frame square type. We like the look of the fastback and they are less expensive due to lack of needing frame/hardware. What are the downsides of Fastback style? Is the loss of cargo space significant - we have a rear cargo locker and use the top of it for cooler etc.? What Brand/Model would you recommend? If traditional better what Brands/Model recommended?

Any opinions based on personal experience, and/or solutions to our current issues, greatly appreciated!
Thanks

While I can't offer you my experience with the different types, I will say that I like the look of the fast back tops on the LJs. The regular full frame square tops just look too weird for me on the LJ. I have a Sierra Offroad soft top on my TJ that came new from PO. It is easy to put on, seals well, and looks great. Because my TJ is a 2nd vehicle and garaged, I remove the top for the whole season with a a few exceptions anyway.

I think the Bestop Trektop NX is the best looking top available for an LJ.

I’ve driven to Moab and back with myself and 2 additional passengers, tools, recovery gear, clothing and a 40 qt Dometic fridge. I’ve not encountered space issues being a problem due to the fastback top.

It can be noisy and flappy at times but being able to quickly remove windows and still run a safari top is nice or pull the pins and take the whole top off.

I have the Rampage frameles sailcloth top on my TJ. Its been on there 3 or 4 years now. I like it and it's about half the price of the Bestop. Only pisses me off half as much when the trees scratch up the windows. ;)

I put the Trektop NX on mine last year and I love it. You can't roll up the windows, they're either installed or they're not, but I live in an area that sees very little rain during the summer so I just take them off and run it as a bikini with the flipped back sunrider for most of the summer. If I'm trailering someplace I just put the windows on in case I need them when I get there, it takes about 20 mins or so.

I really like the look and sun rider on the Trektop NX. Though I've heard it's very noisy and the rear window is even more of a pain that the oem.

Also if you want a cage, some won't fit with the fast back.

I love the look of my bestop fastback on my LJ but that is about it... I've ran a lot of top and used to run a fastback on my Tj (California tops from years ago)

It's noisy and not in a typically soft top way. I get a lot of weird rattles and that front bar rattles like crazy.

I hate that you can't remove the rear window without removing the side windows.

To install the windows back in its a puzzle that normally involves getting the back of the jeep lifting the whole top 2 feet in the air to get everything to loose enough to zipper back together.

That said I'd likely still get it again.. The factory top on the LJ to me is too prone to damage on the trail.

I think the Bestop Trektop NX is the best looking top available for an LJ.

I’ve driven to Moab and back with myself and 2 additional passengers, tools, recovery gear, clothing and a 40 qt Dometic fridge. I’ve not encountered space issues being a problem due to the fastback top.

It can be noisy and flappy at times but being able to quickly remove windows and still run a safari top is nice or pull the pins and take the whole top off.

How easy/quick is it to remove side & back Windows? Thanks for the info.

I have the Rampage frameles sailcloth top on my TJ. Its been on there 3 or 4 years now. I like it and it's about half the price of the Bestop. Only pisses me off half as much when the trees scratch up the windows. ;)

Same question - how easy to remove and re-install side & back windows? Can the back window be rolled up and left attached at the top or does it have to come all the way out? Thanks

I love the look of my bestop fastback on my LJ but that is about it... I've ran a lot of top and used to run a fastback on my Tj (California tops from years ago)

It's noisy and not in a typically soft top way. I get a lot of weird rattles and that front bar rattles like crazy.

I hate that you can't remove the rear window without removing the side windows.

To install the windows back in its a puzzle that normally involves getting the back of the jeep lifting the whole top 2 feet in the air to get everything to loose enough to zipper back together.

That said I'd likely still get it again.. The factory top on the LJ to me is too prone to damage on the trail.

Can you explain why the side windows have to come out in order to remove back window? On the back window, I assume you can unzip the sides to access the back without having to remove entire window? Sounds like windows are a pain to remove replace? Thanks

Can you explain why the side windows have to come out in order to remove back window? On the back window, I assume you can unzip the sides to access the back without having to remove entire window? Sounds like windows are a pain to remove replace? Thanks
The side windows zip to the rear window, so if the rear window comes out the side windows will too - otherwise they'd just be flapping around because they have nothing to fasten to.

As far as access yes I'd imagine you can unzip the rear a little bit for access without undoing the whole thing.

Reactions: Apparition
The side windows zip to the rear window, so if the rear window comes out the side windows will too - otherwise they'd just be flapping around because they have nothing to fasten to.

As far as access yes I'd imagine you can unzip the rear a little bit for access without undoing the whole thing.
Yeah, to get in the back you have to flip out a couple small tabs that hook into the tub then you can run both zippers up and flip the back window and bar up onto the top.

Again when it’s new those zippers can be a task, mine being a couple years old zips up easy.

I have the Bestop NX on my TJ, and love it! I previously had the Rampage, and after a year the stitching starts to deteriorate, and the windows begin hazing. The Bestop you have the sunrider option, whereas the Rampage doesn't. Bestop uses a factory style header bar, where the Rampage uses a channel. Bestop has 2 bows/spreaders to keep the top from sagging, none for rampage.

As far as window removal, it really takes only a couple minutes to remove, and just a few to reinstall... if it's tight, open the Sunrider then secure everything in the rear, and then re-latch the header... just like you would the factory top.

I previously had the Rampage, and after a year the stitching starts to deteriorate, and the windows begin hazing.

I don’t have the windows issue, but the stitching is rubbish, the zippers have been losing teeth consistently, and it fades pretty quick (and mine is garaged).

The only redeeming factor of the rampage to me is that there’s the built in storage up top to keep the windows.

I realize this may be an unpopular opinion, but I currently own a Trektop NX and I will never, ever, ever in a million years own a fastback style soft top again. I agree with Blaine when he says the only place they belong is in the trash.

I much prefer the factory style top with a frame. They are so much easier to use (put up and down) and fit much better too IMHO.

Also, I like the ability to have my top completely off. With the Trektop that's not possible, as the top portion is meant to stay on. You can remove it of course, but then you have to find somewhere to store it.

Reactions: Tldelaney
I currently own a Trektop NX and I will never, ever, ever in a million years own a fastback style soft top again. I agree with Blaine when he says the only place they belong is in the trash.

I much prefer the factory style top with a frame.

Wow, what did they do to you? I have loved mine, and (with the exception of Rampage lack of quality) never had issues. Other than requiring a couple extra straps to remove to go fully topless, there's less to store, no pinched fingers from the bows, no top fluttering around on the tailgate. Most times I only ever drop the windows and doors, and leave the top for shade.

Reactions: SvtLdr