Sold the TJ and picked up a new JLU

It's the $5000 (no choice but buy) electronic garbage that kills the fun for me. One minor $10 IC electronic glitch and you're shut down .... stranded ..... screwed. Happened to me in a rental in a parking lot. Have read a lot of, "Jeep Just Died" blogs over in the JL forum. That crap doesn't belong on a 4WD only trail. Who never had a computer fail, using it in an air conditioned office? You think computers hold up better beating around mud, snow, rocks, sand, etc., 40 miles from the next running vehicle? Enough time logged on that stuff and there will be grief. Gotta have a chance to get up and running with basic tools and straight forward engine electrical, Just Enough Essential Parts. Crankshaft Position Sensors were bad enough, but small enough to keep in your pocket and not too expensive or hard to get at.

I agree. My JK is two years old and twice, the power locks, have locked me out. No one near key FOB. I opened the door to get something, closed it and it locked.
I didn’t even want power windows and locks but that’s how it came. I prefer my TJ in so many ways.

Reactions: Zorba and HardSell
I agree. My JK is two years old and twice, the power locks, have locked me out. No one near key FOB. I opened the door to get something, closed it and it locked.
I didn’t even want power windows and locks but that’s how it came. I prefer my TJ in so many ways.

easy solution is to take doors off, and leave in garage... problem is that doesn’t work here in S. FL

Reactions: Zorba
Beginning of 2021 I’m going to start building the JT for a trip through KS

Those builds you're suggesting may be a bit of overkill, might ruin the sport. Pritchett Canyon (winching required) just south of Moab is a good tough trail, yet there's a video of a fellow in a modestly built postal TJ having less trouble than the over built rigs in his group. The guy recording in his built JLUR rolled. My son in his TJLR with 33s and a tummy tuck and his buddy in an XJ with 32s did very well, but they were glad when they climbed out on Yellow Hill expressing that they had no interest of ever doing Pritchett again.

QUOTE=Not sure I will make it to NM anytime soon"

Too many liberals here for a lot of good 4 wheeling. If a rock fall, tree fall or landslide occurs on a back trail, you'll do jail time if caught clearing. Trails continually disappearing. There's still some good trails near Farmington and Socorro, but those really are not destination kinds of places. However, the weather here is good 350 days a year; the other 15 days, the weather is only bad for half a day.

The Rubicon trail is worthy, but I prefer above timberline shelf roads or slick rock shelves and long narrow steep climbs. Have fun!

Last edited:
I think what separates the JL folks from us TJ types is we TJ people believe complexity should be with the trail rather than the ride.

I think what separates the JL folks from us TJ types is we TJ people believe complexity should be with the trail rather than the ride.

I agree, I had a JL on trails back in July, and it felt almost like driving my TJ, but with a few more comforts. The new Jeeps do nothing to take away driving the trails.

An unexpected twist is my new vehicle search, I just made a deal to lease, yes I know, a 2020 gladiator Sport S with tow package In gator. $46k msrp, taxes and some state fees down, 10k for $300/mth, 24 months. I was considering a 2014+ Ram Laramie but with the used car market, I would have been 3-5k upside down day 1. I feel like I stole this JT. Buyout at the end is $31k ish, which Ill probably do. Being a lease, I’ll be able to take advantage of write offs through my LLC.

Now, previously I owned a JLUR so let me break down what I liked and didn’t like regarding that which ultimately lead me to making this decision:

I custom ordered my JLUR with quite the option list. I justified the ridiculous price cause it was my daily driver and my newborn being in it. These creature comforts left me missing that raw Jeep feel the TJ/LJ provide. The power, transmission, size, looks etc I all really enjoyed. What I couldn’t justify was the damn cost of it. My sticker price was higher than my wife’s Q5 Premium Plus. Absolutely insane. So I traded that in and moved on.

With the gladiator being similar to the JL the sport s with tow package is going to fit the bill for me in a lot of ways. Mainly, not so many damn options. Opted for premium audio and CarPlay but nothing really else other than tow package etc. Being the low monthly cost, great buyout and still providing a Jeep experience and having rear AC vents, this should be perfect. I’ll put a small lift, wheels and tires and call it a day.

The even crazier thing, they rent on Turo for $100-150/day down here. I can essentially rent it for 3-4 days a month and get my payment back. Coworker and I are both getting one and seeing how they rent. We may get a couple more and make a side business out of it. But that’s a separate topic.

An unexpected twist is my new vehicle search, I just made a deal to lease, yes I know, a 2020 gladiator Sport S with tow package In gator. $46k msrp, taxes and some state fees down, 10k for $300/mth, 24 months. I was considering a 2014+ Ram Laramie but with the used car market, I would have been 3-5k upside down day 1. I feel like I stole this JT. Buyout at the end is $31k ish, which Ill probably do. Being a lease, I’ll be able to take advantage of write offs through my LLC.

Now, previously I owned a JLUR so let me break down what I liked and didn’t like regarding that which ultimately lead me to making this decision:

I custom ordered my JLUR with quite the option list. I justified the ridiculous price cause it was my daily driver and my newborn being in it. These creature comforts left me missing that raw Jeep feel the TJ/LJ provide. The power, transmission, size, looks etc I all really enjoyed. What I couldn’t justify was the damn cost of it. My sticker price was higher than my wife’s Q5 Premium Plus. Absolutely insane. So I traded that in and moved on.

With the gladiator being similar to the JL the sport s with tow package is going to fit the bill for me in a lot of ways. Mainly, not so many damn options. Opted for premium audio and CarPlay but nothing really else other than tow package etc. Being the low monthly cost, great buyout and still providing a Jeep experience and having rear AC vents, this should be perfect. I’ll put a small lift, wheels and tires and call it a day.

The even crazier thing, they rent on Turo for $100-150/day down here. I can essentially rent it for 3-4 days a month and get my payment back. Coworker and I are both getting one and seeing how they rent. We may get a couple more and make a side business out of it. But that’s a separate topic.
How do you handle insurance renting on Turo?

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
How do you handle insurance renting on Turo?

They have a contract with Liberty Mutual. They have 3 different packages where they take 30% of the rental or 20% etc and the different levels adjust your exposure. Your insurance isn't touched. I would do the 70/30 for my out of pocket in an accident of $500. If we see these things move and rent and get more, we may get a commercial insurance but thats a whole other beast.

What's Turo?

Turo is a rental service where people like me can rent their cars out for a price I determine.

An unexpected twist
Wow! Pretty complicated, especially for an old TJ type like me. However, in the JL forum, complexity, lots of money and/or debt seem to be the norms accompanying whatever wheeling gets done. Kinda like marrying a high maintenance woman;) increasing chances for divorce or suicide. Happy wheeling and good luck with all the twists.

Wow! Pretty complicated, especially for an old TJ type like me. However, in the JL forum, complexity, lots of money and/or debt seem to be the norms accompanying whatever wheeling gets done. Kinda like marrying a high maintenance woman;) increasing chances for divorce or suicide. Happy wheeling and good luck with all the twists.
Have you seen what people are doing to buy TJs? Lol a JT/JL comes with a warranty at least! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thank you, I guess?

Reactions: HardSell

This new JT per month is still cheaper than some of the tj payments ive seen on this forum haha. I don’t see the issue. The buyout at the end of the lease is too good to pass up.

Reactions: AndrewLJR
This new JT per month is still cheaper than some of the tj payments ive seen on this forum haha. I don’t see the issue. The buyout at the end of the lease is too good to pass up.

I fully understand the appeal of no debt and respect it. However, that's just not going to fit my needs nor do I want it to. I have a colleague who is anti-debt and I choose to enjoy the things my hard work has paid for. The JT is a fantastic alternative that checks the majority of my boxes, provides additional tax write-offs and that buyout will make money in the end. Not for everyone but I guess, I'm different. I respect and understand others' needs/wants.

Reactions: Starrs
I own a JL & LJ and they are two completely different vehicles in my mind. While the LJ isn't as bare bones as my previous YJ, it does give more of a rugged feel. My JL on the other hand is night and day different. It has the 2.0L Turbo and has no issues with the 35s and hauling ass down the highway. The JL is much more comfortable to drive for longer distances, but I find myself wanting to take the LJ more frequently.

Reactions: AndrewLJR
Have you seen what people are doing to buy TJs? Lol a JT/JL comes with a warranty at least! 🤷🏻‍♂️
I just took mine for a test drive, made an accepted offer, wrote a check, wheeled a half day and took it home and been delighted ever since. Would never consider doing business any other way.