Sold's 2006 LJ Build

Soldmytaco

TJ Enthusiast
I would like to go ahead and start my build thread for my 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited LJ. I introduced myself to the forum and posted some pictures of the Jeep, but I figured I would post them again for the "before" pictures and update as I go.

What has been done so far (7/20/2023)

• 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
  • Metalcloak 3.5" long travel short arm suspension lift / Rocksport Shocks /aluminum upper double adjustable arms, steel lowers / track bars front and rear
  • 33x10.5x15 BFG All terrains on canyon wheels
  • 4.88 Yukon gears + Yukon Grizzly Front locker and Eaton ELocker Rear - 4340 chromoly axle shafts front and rear
  • ORO SwayLOC (ORO-SL-TJLV)
  • Koito Housings & Harness H4 Conversion Headlamps
  • ZJ Steering Conversion - Moog Tie Rod End (ES3096L) / Moog Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve (ES2079S), Moog Tie Rod (DS1312) , Monroe SC928 Magnum Steering Damper
  • Savvy Transfer Case Cable Shifter Kit
  • AA SYE w/ adams driveshaft
  • Rokmen 1” motor mount lift
  • JKS motor mount spacer
  • UCF regular clearance aluminum skid
  • Morryde Tailgate Reinforcement Kit
  • Savvy Gas Tank Skid
  • GenRight Rear Bumper Plate w/ step and tow hooks
  • Metalcloak diff covers

Future :

Savvy Rock sliders and additional armor / I need some recovery gear .

Some of these items have already been purchased. These are my immediate plans but have some other thoughts in mind for where I would like to take this Jeep. Ill post pictures of installs and progress as I go, as well as future plans past these items. If anyone has suggestions or thoughts I'm all ears. This forum has been loads of help. Thanks

Last edited:
Pics

323454-af990d06a745499141cf126ad98a02b3.jpeg

323455-41abcc63facd90b950ab3929295fff78.jpeg

My $.02:
I would like to go ahead and start my build thread for my 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited LJ. I introduced myself to the forum and posted some pictures of the Jeep, but I figured I would post them again for the "before" pictures and update as I go.

My plans as of right now are:

• 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
  • Metalcloak 3.5" long travel short arm suspension lift / Rocksport Shocks /aluminum upper double adjustable arms, steel lowers
  • Savvy midarm or Currie short arm with double adjustable arms. Can you weld? if not get one and start learning, it's going to come in super handy in the future.
  • 33x10.5x15 Goodyear Duratrac tires on the OE canyon wheels
  • 5.13 Yukon gears + PowerTrax NoSlip Front and Eaton ELocker Rear - 4340 chromoly front axle shaft
And chromoly rears (which actually take more abuse than front).
  • Currie Antirock front sway bar kit
Swayloc, its like the same as antirock only better.
  • Hella 002395301D 7" H4 Conversion Headlamps
IMO, LED is the way to go.
  • ZJ Steering Conversion - Moog Tie Rod End (ES3096L) / Moog Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve (ES2079S), Moog Tie Rod (DS1312)
This requires new knuckles, correct? WHy not just run the currie steering as is? Consider a brake upgrade if you're going to change out knuckles.
  • Noico sound dampening for inside / Full BedRug kit / Insulation for around transmission and firewall areas. I also plan to add it to the Hardtop.
IF you're going to wheel it, get a soft top also or some kind of bikini top. Hard tops and glass are EXPENSIVE and they don't like trees.
Future :

Savvy Rock sliders and additional armor / I need some recovery gear .
If you're gonna wheel, get a winch!

My $.02:

• Savvy midarm or Currie short arm with double adjustable arms. Can you weld? if not get one and start learning, it's going to come in super handy in the future.

And chromoly rears (which actually take more abuse than front).

Swayloc, its like the same as antirock only better.

IMO, LED is the way to go.

This requires new knuckles, correct? WHy not just run the currie steering as is? Consider a brake upgrade if you're going to change out knuckles.

IF you're going to wheel it, get a soft top also or some kind of bikini top. Hard tops and glass are EXPENSIVE and they don't like trees.

If you're gonna wheel, get a winch!
I definitely looked at the Savvy lift kit, According to almost everyone its the best out there. I am on a bit of a budget so I may end up with the Metalcloak kit which will save me around $1000.

In your opinion since I will only be going to 33s are chromoly shafts truly needed? Dana 44 should be fine to be locked with 33s without having to replace the shaft?

I'm not sure if the zj conversion requires you to replace the knuckles. I haven't gotten into doing it yet, but I haven't seen anyone mention that it was needed when reading about it.

I do plan to wheel it and get a soft top at some point....worth it to go Best top ? I've seen some of the cheaper brands but its not high on my priority list.

It has a winch! Just need to get a kinetic strap and some additional recovery gear.

Thanks for the reply.

I think you're thinking of something else (maybe the WJ knuckle/brake swap?). The ZJ tie rod goes right in place of the TJ tie rod, with TJ knuckles and TJ drag link.

Reactions: B00mb00m
All stock but in good shape currently. This is a very low miles well maintained LJ. I have my eye on the BMB pads.....heard nothing but good things (for the most part)

I think they'll be perfect for 33s.

They're good enough on 35's that I'm as yet not motivated enough to drop the coin for a big brake kit. Certainly better than stock, but could be better.

I definitely looked at the Savvy lift kit, According to almost everyone its the best out there. I am on a bit of a budget so I may end up with the Metalcloak kit which will save me around $1000.
The MC, the way I configured it at least, is $2,800 while the Savvy is $3,400. The savvy includes an anti rock which would add about 500 to the MC (now $3,300 w/AR) but doesn't include shocks Savvy +$225 ($3,650) for Rancho RS5000x and shipping likely $300 ($3,950). So not quite 1k but $600 isn't a small number either so I get it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. My concern with the RE 3.5" system when I had it was that at full droop the front springs were loose. I never lost a spring but I felt it could happen. Also, while I never had a problem with the front Track bar it would often squeak and I found myself carrying around a tube of dry grease to apply every so often.

MC often offers 10% and free shipping. (I'd wait until the 4th of July if you go with MC since they'll likely have a sale.) Savvy has a coupon JF2018 which is about 8% off IIRC.

otherwise, I agree with everything @B00mb00m said other than needing new knuckles.
mc.PNG
savvy.PNG

The MC, the way I configured it at least, is $2,800 while the Savvy is $3,400. The savvy includes an anti rock which would add about 500 to the MC (now $3,300 w/AR) but doesn't include shocks Savvy +$225 ($3,650) for Rancho RS5000x and shipping likely $300 ($3,950). So not quite 1k but $600 isn't a small number either so I get it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. My concern with the RE 3.5" system when I had it was that at full droop the front springs were loose. I never lost a spring but I felt it could happen. Also, while I never had a problem with the front Track bar it would often squeak and I found myself carrying around a tube of dry grease to apply every so often.

MC often offers 10% and free shipping. (I'd wait until the 4th of July if you go with MC since they'll likely have a sale.) Savvy has a coupon JF2018 which is about 8% off IIRC.

otherwise, I agree with everything @B00mb00m said other than needing new knuckles.
View attachment 327696View attachment 327697
The MC springs with shocks in stock position didn't bind up, the problem becomes if you ever want to outboard then you're leaving an inch of uptravel on the table vs currie springs. That is why I ditched the MC springs and went currie in the rear.

My thoughts on wanting the Hella headlamp conversion over LED, I just haven't seen any LEDs that I have liked the look of, For some reason I just don't like the look of the fancy LEDs on older jeeps, I want a classic unmolested look. Which is why I am also staying away from light bars, neon lights, aesthetic upgrades that I consider tacky like stickers / decals ect. No offense to anyone that likes that stuff btw, its obviously just personal preference.

Reactions: UKTJ and Alex01
My thoughts on wanting the Hella headlamp conversion over LED, I just haven't seen any LEDs that I have liked the look of, For some reason I just don't like the look of the fancy LEDs on older jeeps, I want a classic unmolested look. Which is why I am also staying away from light bars, neon lights, aesthetic upgrades that I consider tacky like stickers / decals ect. No offense to anyone that likes that stuff btw, its obviously just personal preference.
Could try these

https://www.holley.com/products/electrical/led_lighting/retrobright/parts/LFRB135

I run Hellas, and like them. They may not be as bright as LEDs, but they're sure brighter than the OEM candles.

You might want to run a heavy power wire to the front, with a headlight relay, to get full power up there. That's half of the problem with the OEM setup.