Solo Back Country Wheeling - What are the "Must Have" Tools for Self Repairs

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
I am going to do a lot of solo wheeling in the back country. What tools would you consider to be "must haves" in my toolbox in order to make the more common, simple repairs I might be faced with when I'm out on my own?

I wish I could go along with the idea of wheeling alone in remote areas but I can't. It's one thing to be able to fix something that broke on the Jeep it's quite another to sustain a serious injury in a remote area when you're by yourself. It happens and in the "back country" there's seldom cell service and ham radio repeater coverage isn't assured either.

As far as tools go.

The ones i double check is 12point 13mm socket for the front akel/unit barings. And a good old dope on a rope (test light).

Along with socket set, screw driver set, pliers and cutters.

While not a tool..... a roll of number 9 wire has never failed to be useful

I wheel with the family on my own, but by "wheel" I mean I go on well-travelled trails during the day and usually on the weekend when there are other folks zipping on Razors or dirtbikes. I would never do anything considered 'back country' on my own, but I still carry a CB, two cell phones w/ different providers, a full tool kit w/ standard & metric, a compressor, a breaker bar, straps, first aid kit, a gallon of oil & coolant, couple gallons of water, an emergency signaling kit w/ flares, smoke signals, a mirror, a couple of MREs tucked under the back seat, a pistol with ammo, a hundred or so feet of paracord, several knives, a rope plug tire repair kit, baby wipes, and I always let the neighbor know when we're rolling out, where we're going, and when we expect to return.

I wish I could go along with the idea of wheeling alone in remote areas but I can't. It's one thing to be able to fix something that broke on the Jeep it's quite another to sustain a serious injury in a remote area when you're by yourself. It happens and in the "back country" there's seldom cell service and ham radio repeater coverage isn't assured either.

Jerry, I understand what you're saying. I've done a lot of very remote backpacking and hiking. I am going to carry a Spot - a satellite-based emergency messaging device. Part of the backpacking/hiking culture is to also let someone know your route and when you're planning to be back. You then have an agreed time for them to come looking for you or call emergency services if they haven't heard from you. It's such a part of the culture of the mountain town I live in that we all look out for each other in this way. We even all have insurance that covers helicopter rescue.

I live at 7,000' and we regularly drive at 11,000.' We are always prepared to spend the night in the mountains or even walk out over multiple days. Again, it's just part of our culture, so we're always prepared.

That said, I do expect that there will be things I will need to fix on the Jeep, from time to time, while I'm out wheeling... even if I'm with a group. Just wondering what you guys would consider the "must-have" tools.

As far as tools go.

The ones i double check is 12point 13mm socket for the front akel/unit barings. And a good old dope on a rope (test light).

Along with socket set, screw driver set, pliers and cutters.

While not a tool..... a roll of number 9 wire has never failed to be useful

Thanks, Boinked, that's very helpful and exactly what I'm looking for.

I wheel with the family on my own, but by "wheel" I mean I go on well-travelled trails during the day and usually on the weekend when there are other folks zipping on Razors or dirtbikes. I would never do anything considered 'back country' on my own, but I still carry a CB, two cell phones w/ different providers, a full tool kit w/ standard & metric, a compressor, a breaker bar, straps, first aid kit, a gallon of oil & coolant, couple gallons of water, an emergency signaling kit w/ flares, smoke signals, a mirror, a couple of MREs tucked under the back seat, a pistol with ammo, a hundred or so feet of paracord, several knives, a rope plug tire repair kit, baby wipes, and I always let the neighbor know when we're rolling out, where we're going, and when we expect to return.

Yup. Good ideas. We, too, even as backpackers and hikers, always let someone know our route and when we're scheduled to return. We then have a plan if we're not back by the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: qslim
Full emergency repair kit......

100924_ts.jpg
s-l1000.jpg
s-l1000-1.jpg
Dubble-Bubble-unWrapped2.jpg

A full set of QUALITY Torx bits and a driver. A big C-clamp for u-joints. A couple good flashlights and a headlamp, a fresh tube of RTV, a magnetic parts container (as in Harbor freight special) a piece of fuel line, (can also be used for putting gear oil in differentials), vice grips, Slip-Joint pliers, a good leatherman tool (Rebar, Wave, or Super Tool) wiring crimp-on terminal ends, crow-foot/taper-punch 12" +/- bar, boys axe, Sharpie Marker, putty knife, a roll of concrete-form tie-wire, plus the other excellent suggestions from the above posts!

What others have mentioned above are great. I would add to the list a big crow bar along with a large channel locks, those two tools have been very useful when in a bind. Tire repair kit should be somewhat obvious to add also.

Reactions: WLDRIDE
Great thread - a lot of time I use my Jeep to access remote hiking trails, and if I don't have a hiking partner I find myself out there alone. One item I would add to the list is a portable car jump starter. I would hope no one would ever mess with my Jeep by turning the lights on, or leave a door open while I'm out hiking, but if they do at least I can get the battery going again without another vehicle.

Ha! Yeah, I've been thinking, "Where am I going to stow all of this stuff?" There are a lot of great ideas, though. I'll have to sort through it all and make some choices.

You have to think about it from the stand point of what are you going to do.....

For example. If you are hitting fire roads and not crawling up shelfs and risking major damage. The take what you need to do quick field repairs. ——— water, coolant, oil, new fan belt, ect ect ect.... the tools needed to do those repairs.

If you are going hard and risking breaking things like axels, exhaust, driveshaft. You not only need the tools but the spare parts to replace them.....

It is challenging to prepare for the worst. Always remember that you have to drive it home. What looks fun in a group, does not look as much fun when you break a u joint and there isnt another person to laugh at you.

To this day i remember my grandfather packing up a chuck box jumping in his jeep and going exploring for weeks on end. I vaguely remember the story my grandmother would tell about the time he came home in 2nd gear running about 10 miles per hour because he broke the throttle cable.

Anything can happen and no one can be prepared for everything. Know what you are getting into you. Accept the fact you can only control so much. And never take unnecessary risks.

With all the advanced technology he have today the is no reason why if you/me/anyone goes out alone we should carry something like this.

acr 2880 ResQ Link PLB-375 Personal Locator Beacon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E1OU1A/?tag=wranglerorg-20

For the price it might just be the one tool that will save your life...... most people spend 3 times as much on a cell phone that doesn't work.

You have to think about it from the stand point of what are you going to do.....

For example. If you are hitting fire roads and not crawling up shelfs and risking major damage. The take what you need to do quick field repairs. ——— water, coolant, oil, new fan belt, ect ect ect.... the tools needed to do those repairs.

If you are going hard and risking breaking things like axels, exhaust, driveshaft. You not only need the tools but the spare parts to replace them.....

It is challenging to prepare for the worst. Always remember that you have to drive it home. What looks fun in a group, does not look as much fun when you break a u joint and there isnt another person to laugh at you.

To this day i remember my grandfather packing up a chuck box jumping in his jeep and going exploring for weeks on end. I vaguely remember the story my grandmother would tell about the time he came home in 2nd gear running about 10 miles per hour because he broke the throttle cable.

Anything can happen and no one can be prepared for everything. Know what you are getting into you. Accept the fact you can only control so much. And never take unnecessary risks.

With all the advanced technology he have today the is no reason why if you/me/anyone goes out alone we should carry something like this.

acr 2880 ResQ Link PLB-375 Personal Locator Beacon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E1OU1A/?tag=wranglerorg-20

For the price it might just be the one tool that will save your life...... most people spend 3 times as much on a cell phone that doesn't work.

Boinked, yes, I completely agree. I live in a small mountain town (5,000 people) in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. Our county has more 14,000' peaks than any other county in Colorado. I've done a lot of solo hiking and backpacking which is very much a part of our culture. (We all purchase helicopter rescue insurance.) Besides letting someone know my route, and when to expect me home, I will carry a SPOT or some other satellite based communication/locator device when wheeling solo in the backcountry. Thanks for your link, I'll look into that one as well. But I think I'm looking for a device that will regularly ping my location to a preselected email address as well.

I've been thinking about getting one of these locators. It seems like it would be great for outdoor activities, especially if you go solo and run into an issue. The Garmin inReach has some cool features, you can send and receive messages, so if you are running late or lost you can let people know. It also has the ability to send an SOS signal if case you are injured and need professional help. Only downside is you need to pay for a monthly subscription, but the lowest one is around $12 bucks a month, which isn't bad if it winds up saving your butt one day.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592606#overview