Solo Rig Charouleau Gap Trip 9/11/21

Wittakoski

Supporting Member
Well, been down dirt roads, played on pipeline roads etc, but have never done a proper 4x4 trail. FIL says to me last Friday, "hey, why don't we jump in your Jeep and hit a trail tomorrow? What's that trail you have wanted to check out?" I reply, "Charouleau Gap?"...He says, yeah, that one! Fast forward....for my first trip, I bit off waaaaay more than I could chew. I will go cliff notes here. Had a blast, but, before it was over, was very nervous. We ended up getting lost, losing the trail and I am pretty sure it could have easily ended much worse. However, after all, we got out, had a great and VERY memorable time. I pushed the jeep far beyond my driving abilities further than what I was comfortable doing. I surprised myself at both the rig and how it worked and how well I was able to drive it....fun and nervous et. al....but basically the mistakes/lessons learned are...

1. went solo (single rig) - would have been nice to have the comfort of another rig.
2. relied on phone GPS. Need a real GPS.
3. need a-pillar lights that work. (mine are old and need replaced)
4. Do some homework, what is the RECENT quality of the trail. it was BADLY washed out.
5. Shorts are cooler, but jeans are needed in the high desert. :)

Enjoy some of the very few pics I thought to take...
Cheers,
Wittakoski
20210911_132259.jpg
20210911_145058.jpg
20210911_152432.jpg
20210911_162017.jpg
20210911_162119 (002).jpg
20210911_132407 (002).jpg

Well, been down dirt roads, played on pipeline roads etc, but have never done a proper 4x4 trail. FIL says to me last Friday, "hey, why don't we jump in your Jeep and hit a trail tomorrow? What's that trail you have wanted to check out?" I reply, "Charouleau Gap?"...He says, yeah, that one! Fast forward....for my first trip, I bit off waaaaay more than I could chew. I will go cliff notes here. Had a blast, but, before it was over, was very nervous. We ended up getting lost, losing the trail and I am pretty sure it could have easily ended much worse. However, after all, we got out, had a great and VERY memorable time. I pushed the jeep far beyond my driving abilities further than what I was comfortable doing. I surprised myself at both the rig and how it worked and how well I was able to drive it....fun and nervous et. al....but basically the mistakes/lessons learned are...

1. went solo (single rig) - would have been nice to have the comfort of another rig.
2. relied on phone GPS. Need a real GPS.
3. need a-pillar lights that work. (mine are old and need replaced)
4. Do some homework, what is the RECENT quality of the trail. it was BADLY washed out.
5. Shorts are cooler, but jeans are needed in the high desert. :)

Enjoy some of the very few pics I thought to take...
Cheers,
Wittakoski

View attachment 276896

View attachment 276897

View attachment 276898

View attachment 276899

View attachment 276900

View attachment 276901

lol I wear shorts, go solo, and have no additional lights…but a radio for safety would be smart as would using a trails app.

Boy it sure was nice hitting pavement on the Oracle side. Super easy to get lost out there.

Reactions: NPhopper