Solo trekking safety gear!

Ryan Thomas

I have no idea how I got here.
Supporting Member
I decided that since a lot of my adventuring is done solo, and usually offroad in non-cell areas, that it was time I got a decent emergency communicator/safety device.

Enter the DeLorme InReach SE!

I *really* like this bit of kit. The plans aren't the cheapest by any means, but unlimited tracking points at ten minute intervals that my friends and mom can follow along with is worth it alone!
Plus, there is two-way messaging, and full GEOS/IERCC emergency response directly to your location.

I feel a LOT better about going way up into the mountains now!
IMG_20160724_143424.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I bought a satellite phone for those times where I am literally out in the middle of nowhere. I figure that while I'll likely never use it, it's always there incase I ever need it! Just had to buy the phone and a pre paid calling card.

Reactions: Ryan Thomas
I bought a satellite phone for those times where I am literally out in the middle of nowhere. I figure that while I'll likely never use it, it's always there incase I ever need it! Just had to buy the phone and a pre paid calling card.
I almost went with an InmarSat phone, but I really liked the idea of the unlimited tracking points and the shareable map - My mom likes to see where I'm out adventuring at - I'm known for the last-minute pop to Whereverthehelliwantistan ;)

I almost went with an InmarSat phone, but I really liked the idea of the unlimited tracking points and the shareable map - My mom likes to see where I'm out adventuring at - I'm known for the last-minute pop to Whereverthehelliwantistan ;)

I agree! That is a pretty cool feature indeed. I may have to look at something like this.

I use this ones bigger brother when I go backpacking in the white mountain. Delorme was just acquired by Garmin so it'll be interesting to see how they update this unit (it's a fairly old design but quite fun criminal).

geek. berlin, ma. 2000 TJ. http://planet-geek.com

I can see that the tracking/map share is going to be a fun thing - plus, it's easy enough to get to that my mom actually looks at it!
Did a little test while I ran errands this morning...
Tracking.jpg

Pretty cool! Easy to use is the most important thing. I think that the reason a lot of products fail to engage consumers is because they aren't easy enough to use. When something is easy to use, it makes people actually want to use it more often.

Feels like there should be an app for this....
There is an app for it, but the tracking is really just a side thing for this (It makes my mom happy to follow along) - the biggest thing is the satellite messaging and the SOS button that sends IERCC/GEOS emergency response. I spend a lot of time outside of cellphone range, luckily ;)

Yeah, most of the apps aren't much good if you're outside of cell tower range!

I've carried this unit since 2013. No text ability, no subscription required, very well rated in reviews.

http://www.fastfindplb.com/

Sorry, no pic right now. The unit is with my gear and it's stashed up north at the moment.