Solution to haul 3 kids in the back seat?

dmcgill3

Supporting Member
So currently I have 3 little boys who dearly love my Jeep. We currently put all three of them back there using the 2 LATCH attachments in the center for the car seat for the youngest (2years) the put the other 2 boys (5years, and 7 years) in the outside positions in their boosters. Its tight but we can make it work for now.

2D0AEB01-75EF-42BF-A1C9-EE1E9F0B2487.jpeg
But once the 2 year old goes to a booster that needs a belt I am not sure what the best approach would be. I was hoping maybe some of yall had seen a solution or had some suggestions.

In my jurisdiction (Australia) that's illegal - the vehicle is registered as a 4 seater and you cannot legally carry 5.

I guess I should have prefaced this with my jeep is primarily used for trail rides and maybe the occasional in town ice cream run.

It seems like I seen someone on here before that had bought a pro rear bench and lifted it slightly higher to get to the wider portion of the tub, and then had 3 4-point harnesses installed.

Reactions: sideproject
I guess I should have prefaced this with my jeep is primarily used for trail rides and maybe the occasional in town ice cream run.

It seems like I seen someone on here before that had bought a pro rear bench and lifted it slightly higher to get to the wider portion of the tub, and then had 3 4-point harnesses installed.

I just put their little butts in the seat. I’ve had 4 butts back there, maybe 5.

Yep, I’m a rule-breaker. Come get me! 🤣

Last edited:
In my jurisdiction (Australia) that's illegal - the vehicle is registered as a 4 seater and you cannot legally carry 5.

they took all your guns away and locked everyone in their houses detaining anyone who left during covid too so that doesn't surprise me.

probably illegal here as well but either not enforced or not common knowledge. they'll outlaw anything these days.

Do you have the 3 4 point harnesses installed? If so, just put the kids in. I sat with my brother and sister in the back of a Willy’s cj3a (actually dj3a converted to 4wd) back when I was a kid, a TJ would have been like riding in limo in comparison

It will never be legal, but rules are for people who follow them 😅 Just a thought on the raised seat; consider head placement in relation to the roll bar in case of roll over.

But honestly once the kids get big enough, I don't think there is much you can do. TJ/LJs are just too small. It's why I stopped at 2 kids 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
It will never be legal, but rules are for people who follow them 😅 Just a thought on the raised seat; consider head placement in relation to the roll bar in case of roll over.

But honestly once the kids get big enough, I don't think there is much you can do. TJ/LJs are just too small. It's why I stopped at 2 kids 😉

I've always made the joke that we stopped at 2 because that's all the TJ holds. Whenever we had to tote our kids with friends, we crammed 'em in and stretched the seatbelts. Tinted rear windows are your friends. Besides, most LEO don't think about what vehicles can fit 2 or 3 in the back

Reactions: SkylinesSuck

The Land Cruiser I drove to high school had sideways facing back seats. You could get 4 high school aged kids back there...if they were friendly.
I had 5 kids, so I drove Suburbans and pickups with camper shells until the older ones were out of the house. Then I got back into Jeeps. All but one of my boys are over 6' tall, I can't hardly get one of them back there now.