Someguys 04

I would definitely write down your shim numbers before doing anything. That's a great looking pattern but I agree I could go just a tad deeper. If you put it deeper and it doesn't look good you can come back to this. I really like how diffuse it is.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I would definitely write down your shim numbers before doing anything. That's a great looking pattern but I agree I could go just a tad deeper. If you put it deeper and it doesn't look good you can come back to this. I really like how diffuse it is.
yes sir, i always note the shim stacks in play for each attempt.

i went ahead and jumped up .015 at the pinion depth, and got it back to .008 on the backlash and it yields this.

i kinda like it better.... now i have a more noticeable yellow remnant at the top of the tooth meaning my contact is now below that. thinkin this could be it if i can get that set up bearing replaced and hold all this. would you agree? or try and push it a frogs hair more?

126095337_742613586336695_3118897176515123535_n.jpg

126231434_381303029881029_941349691648967720_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
well seems i'm striking out all over the place......no sooner did i have that diff torn back down and ready to go back together. i find the shaft is larger on the outer bearing journal and the pipe i used to set that last/front bearing won't work.

i rectified that today at work today, and found me a nice chunk of pipe in the bin and turned it down to have a nice piece of heavy wall tube to use now.
and i talked to another tank builder today...............they are backed up from covid BS and orders are 8 to 12wks out, so that's out.

all this chatter on jjvw's shock post got me wondering about my struts. they should be at my supplier now and shipped to me soon. so, i called today and they got no shipment, no word, and it's all delayed too, funny thing buggin me is they took the $ a month ago, the day after i placed the order. maybe i'm just anxious, but it seems like most other places that i have had to deal with back orders don't charge until the product is in hand or moving.

it's been cold so i'm just gonna wait until thurs morn when i can fire up the kerosene heater for awhile, and i'll finish that dif up.

got a call back about the struts today. they say ORI is about 2-3 wks behind right now and they think i'm in next wks work orders or at worst the following week. and they are coming direct from them to me when ready.
so i take tat as a maybe by xmas.

gonna get that diff put together tomrw ...hope that pattern holds once the new bearing is pressed onto the pinion.

got a call back about the struts today. they say ORI is about 2-3 wks behind right now and they think i'm in next wks work orders or at worst the following week. and they are coming direct from them to me when ready.
so i take tat as a maybe by xmas.

gonna get that diff put together tomrw ...hope that pattern holds once the new bearing is pressed onto the pinion.

Damn this COVID crap has everything all messed up.

@hosejockey61 , 1 more time if you don't mind sir.

final assembly,
set up bearing is out for the press on.
pinion pre-load was 28 in/lb on a 22-35 in/lb window.
new seal is in, crush sleeve is in and new nuts installed.
backlash is .008 checked in 5 points, .006-.010 window, run off was no more than .0005-6ish.
carrier pre load is about .010 more than the factory had.

looks ok to me but i wanna be done.......your not under that influence.

and thank you for taking the time.

127163868_378358753462281_6326075263736110085_n.jpg

127218195_743599099587502_2426812823699081494_n.jpg

127233429_2123126684490088_7257828121404787120_n.jpg

127234850_732722080657488_1446141429074193682_n.jpg

Pattern looks great 👍. Not sure what gears you're using but I think that preload is a tad high. FSM calls for 20-40 which nobody ever does. 16-20 is the range I shoot for. Old gear guy hammered that into my head and it seems to be the norm with others.

Reactions: Wildman
it's a dam JK rubi axle 5.38 thicks........it's all funky 135# ring gear bolt toque and odd ball spec windows. prob not what your used to playing with.

this rear was kinda a PITA the front was an empty housing i got it inline pretty quick.

• Wow
alright so i think all the hard shit is done.
the axle is reassembled, and the shafts are in and torqued. (i tacked all those retainer studs to the flange plates) i still have to pop in the locker power connection, and i got a plug for the sensor port, that's being omitted. then some gear oil and it can go back under the jeep.

and then it's onto fuel. i broke down and just got a Jaz poly cell from Summit, i'll work out the fuel trap and baffles myself. i don't need fancy, i need function. and i want it running again, so i'm not waiting for custom or back orders. it'll be here by Wed.

nothin i can do about the delay with the struts. when i got the 1st set from my friend it was like a month+ wait as well. but i'm ready to go when they arrive. i made contact on FB MKPL to pick up a 40# bottle of nitrogen, 1 eve this wk.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are moving along pretty well. Can't wait to see this thing going down the road.

Sounds like you are moving along pretty well. Can't wait to see this thing going down the road.
it'll be a dirt road , they ain't givin me plates again until i can be exempt from the emissions tests.

once i get the axle back under and the links connected and i can measure for a new drive shaft........i need that too.

pm edit: i went ahead and ordered 1 of those BoydWelding bolt on pump rings, it's on sale, and it'll be the guinea pig to see if it's the real deal.

Last edited:
fuel cell and some parts showed up today. it's a stout little vessel 1/4" thick and doesn't give much. as long as it's secured well this thing looks pretty indestructible. some -6AN fittings and braided hose to run a new fuel line. and a -6AN assy tool from koultools.

beer can for scale.
got notice yest, the pump ring is on the way.

128410883_174664010992537_2225456421186787846_n.jpg

128109244_406055397208889_6734303009916722771_n.jpg

well last Mon. we got pounded with 15" of snow in less than 24hrs. and it's been cold so most of it's still on the ground.
Fri it got up to about 43 so i shoveled out the Jeep and got the axle under it and the CA's installed.........and was about 30m from being able to get it off the stands and into the garage..........but i forgot my temporary rear stilts at work.

i messed with the fuel cell some. the ring got here this wk and it's "titties and beer" a really nice piece of work. fits the OE pump assy from my 04 perfectly the flange is thick and sturdy the inner ring has nutserts and it came with the rubber gasket and hardware.

today i played around and got the hole in the cell for the pump assy. the cell is fairly small and the sending unit has a long swing, so i removed it from the can.....i'll try and place it remotely or replace it with a tube sender and calibrator.

the RO vents i have won't work, the grommets are not made to conform to a 1/4" material. so i'll order up some bulkhead vents.
and i need a small diameter filler.......... i found several, but am not sure yet if i want a 90* or a short straight, really depends on the height once installed in the rig.

i did hook up with the guy on FB and got my nitrogen tank too. now i got a smaller more portable 40#er.

if i remember those stilts tomrw, i can get the Jeep into the garage and get that hole cut into the floor for the tank.

129657502_862082434552276_9164778860237572504_n.jpg

well last Mon. we got pounded with 15" of snow in less than 24hrs. and it's been cold so most of it's still on the ground.
Fri it got up to about 43 so i shoveled out the Jeep and got the axle under it and the CA's installed.........and was about 30m from being able to get it off the stands and into the garage..........but i forgot my temporary rear stilts at work.

i messed with the fuel cell some. the ring got here this wk and it's "titties and beer" a really nice piece of work. fits the OE pump assy from my 04 perfectly the flange is thick and sturdy the inner ring has nutserts and it came with the rubber gasket and hardware.

today i played around and got the hole in the cell for the pump assy. the cell is fairly small and the sending unit has a long swing, so i removed it from the can.....i'll try and place it remotely or replace it with a tube sender and calibrator.

the RO vents i have won't work, the grommets are not made to conform to a 1/4" material. so i'll order up some bulkhead vents.
and i need a small diameter filler.......... i found several, but am not sure yet if i want a 90* or a short straight, really depends on the height once installed in the rig.

i did hook up with the guy on FB and got my nitrogen tank too. now i got a smaller more portable 40#er.

if i remember those stilts tomrw, i can get the Jeep into the garage and get that hole cut into the floor for the tank.

View attachment 208392
Have any pictures of where you think it’s gonna sit?

sorry no pics yet.
the plan is to cut the floor right at the edge that it drops into the rear floor pan. and 12" back from there on the tubs center line. sunk about 2.5" into the floor, down to the E-brake bracket. that'd make the cell about 6.5" tall and an easy level to pipe over to a side fill in the tub.
the pump ring adds 1.5" and the regulator makes it about 2" taller than that, so that would give me roughly a 10" height to have to cover over, i kinda wanted to offset it to the pass. side since i run solo most times, but that's real close to the exhaust and it's not enough weight to really impact much.

cutting the floor might seem like a lot of work but it'll be easier for the dogs to get over and short enough i can still lean my spare over it and carry it in the back if needed. and it keeps the footprint outside, so technically a burst or leak would not contaminate the inside of the tub if it happened.

i'll get pics up as soon as i have something to take pics of.

Last edited:
well i been pretty lazy for the last wk. that snow and cold temps made it hard to get motivated.
yesterday it got back up into the upper 40's so i got the stilts and the wheels on. managed to get all but the 2 main stands out from under it and it's ready to drop and get pushed into the garage tomrw. then i can start cutting room for the fuel cell.

i been lookin at my Email everyday waiting for some word form ORI. and broke down again today and made another call. the sales rep said my ears musta been burnin, cause he just got billed for my units today, meaning they are ready for shipping, and i should have a tracking # tonight or no later than Mon.

once i get this thing in the garage i may pull the top off. that'll give me lots of room to work and an excuse to have a go at the cage and new windshield frame too,

finally off the stands, and not bad with the front to back level.

131238407_205696994498259_755306318745054662_n.jpg

and 10m later, it's finally tucked inside where i can now work outta the weather.

131266609_122786986230693_8984437752975523942_n.jpg

Reactions: tworley and Wildman