Someguys 04

i got a big heavy box today, and i guess the dogs are gonna help me open it.

and my fuel cell was still charged, it did drop from just over 4# psi to just barely under 4# since fri at 8am.
i think it's fairly safe to assume the -30* temp fluctuation could have done this. and i think it's a good unit. so i'm gonna try and finish it.

79366481_606544173439418_1258106142744117248_n.jpg

drug a rim into the shop today, got it sanded down and tried 1 of the AtoZ rings. they got a good 1/8" gap so i used some key stock pieces to hold it centered.
i was thinkin about adding an anti-coning ring, but may do that with UHMW. it's lighter and won't ever corrode, hell it won't hold dirt or mud either.

got 4 more to set up and then i'm gonna write a program for my robot.

78902032_721721541683442_7684114109394059264_n.jpg

78724873_1253486041502264_6151446117759320064_n.jpg

starring at this heavy ass warn winch and thinkin about what i can do to cut weight up front.

synth winch line will be on the list soon. but i went ahead and ordered up a Savvy aluminum front bumper. that should cut 30# or so, loosing my current steel monster.

and i guess they no longer accept phone in orders, had to go through their web site

i would have had to mod mine, to gain access to the tube for the anti-rock. this helps solve 2 problems for me.

Do you know what your beadlocks weigh?

i do not.
but i can toss it onto the scale tomrw and let you know. i'll take in an outer ring and i can even drop the hardware on there too.

i'll also weight just the rings and hardware alone. this could at least give a ballpark figure to what would be added to any rim.
my rims are 17" no way to get 15's over my new 1 ton steering components, so it's gonna be just a tad heavier than what a 15" set would be.

Reactions: tworley
Nah, I was just curious. I wont ever use steel wheels but it seems I have seen a few posts lately where people are converting theirs to beadlocks

Nah, I was just curious. I wont ever use steel wheels but it seems I have seen a few posts lately where people are converting theirs to beadlocks

360$ a rim is about the cheapest i found, for 17" alloy bead locks. this will be about 100$ a wheel.

i've seen a few steel rims that tried to move rocks, it can mangle them pretty good. i'm hoping the ring will offer some protection, but am aware of what can happen to steel vs a thicker edged alloy rim that doesn't bend like a tin can.
i do have a set of alloys (in my pic). and i do like having 2 sets of wheels on hand.
the steel BL's are more of a personal challenge than a necessity. they'll make those tires easier to change. and make the rims worth double what they cost me if i ever wanna dump um.

As a contrast, iirc my wife's non-beadlock rims are around 24lbs. My aluminum beadlocks are 31lbs with hardware.

i was busy yesterday at the shop and didn't get to it until today

the rim itself is 29.5#
both 1/4" rings add another 12.5#
and the hardware come in at 3#

for a grand total of 45# per rim.
i could loose the nuts and go to something like a sleeve insert and maybe cut 1# there.
and if i swapped the outer steel ring for 1/4" aluminum i could probably shave another 3-4#.

again this is a 17" rim, and i did a 1/2 ass calculation and guesstimate if it were a 15"and think it would come in about 5# lighter.

Last edited:
i read a little story about 2nd generation business owners the other day.
and i got handed a good 1 today.

been at my job for 18yrs now, 2nd generation took over about 10yrs ago when his old man retired.
last couple years he's been out of the business, semi retired. comes in every few months stomps his feet and disappears again. and shits gone way down hill.
every year they threw a small Christmas lunch in the shop for the guys, nothing fancy.
office workers get taken to his country club for dinner and drinks. and everyone got 100$ grocery gift card.

this year (Mon) it got posted the shop was not gonna receive the luncheon, and that we're invited to the country club.
by 3oclk, the posting had changed to reflect a dress code. dress pants. button down shirt and proper foot ware (no work boots or tennis shoes).
at the close of shop today the posting had been changed once again........ and now reads in addition to all that, that a sport coat or suit must be worn, hair is not to hang below the collar and you must be clean shaven.

a couple guys asked about this and were told "if you don't have the attire, your to buy it" (for a 2hr lunch). then they were told if they did not attend or showed up not dressed correctly they will be suspended for 3d.

then they proceeded to announce that there will be no gift cards, christmas bonus's or profit sharing this yr. it's been a slow yr (funny, because we worked 70hrs a wk from Jan to Oct to handle the overflow of orders they took this yr).

then i received my paycheck today and it was 100$ short. i called the payroll lady and asked what gives, and she explains to me that the Boss, on Nov 1st decided that the Co. will no longer honor the tradition of paying for 1/2 of our work boots.
i ordered new boots in June and they were back ordered until Aug. in August i received the wrong size and it needed returned. and i waited until mid Oct. for my boots. they did my payroll deduction for 1/2 back in July.
but she was instructed to retro this back into Oct. and since my boots didn't arrive until Oct, i was to be charged back. even though this was handled way back in July.

then the owner drove in today, he's in town for his big asskissin party tomrw. and he was driving a new Bentley that is for his wife for christmas (he's goona give it to her at this luncheon, even though she doesn't work here, or anywhere) and he's upset that his new Bentley won't be ready until after the 1st of the year. he's just plain tired of driving that 2yr old 600hp Cadillac.
4 houses, an 80ft yacht, a 3mill dollar tour bus, and 17 cars (19 now).

i think it's time to move on, soon.

been at my job for 18yrs now, 2nd generation took over about 10yrs ago when his old man retired.
last couple years he's been out of the business, semi retired. comes in every few months stomps his feet and disappears again. and shits gone way down hill.
every year they threw a small Christmas lunch in the shop for the guys, nothing fancy.
office workers get taken to his country club for dinner and drinks. and everyone got 100$ grocery gift card.

this year (Mon) it got posted the shop was not gonna receive the luncheon, and that we're invited to the country club.
by 3oclk, the posting had changed to reflect a dress code. dress pants. button down shirt and proper foot ware (no work boots or tennis shoes).
at the close of shop today the posting had been changed once again........ and now reads in addition to all that, that a sport coat or suit must be worn, hair is not to hang below the collar and you must be clean shaven.

a couple guys asked about this and were told "if you don't have the attire, your to buy it" (for a 2hr lunch). then they were told if they did not attend or showed up not dressed correctly they will be suspended for 3d.

then they proceeded to announce that there will be no gift cards, christmas bonus's or profit sharing this yr. it's been a slow yr (funny, because we worked 70hrs a wk from Jan to Oct to handle the overflow of orders they took this yr).

then i received my paycheck today and it was 100$ short. i called the payroll lady and asked what gives, and she explains to me that the Boss, on Nov 1st decided that the Co. will no longer honor the tradition of paying for 1/2 of our work boots.
i ordered new boots in June and they were back ordered until Aug. in August i received the wrong size and it needed returned. and i waited until mid Oct. for my boots. they did my payroll deduction for 1/2 back in July.
but she was instructed to retro this back into Oct. and since my boots didn't arrive until Oct, i was to be charged back. even though this was handled way back in July.

then the owner drove in today, he's in town for his big asskissin party tomrw. and he was driving a new Bentley that is for his wife for christmas (he's goona give it to her at this luncheon, even though she doesn't work here, or anywhere) and he's upset that his new Bentley won't be ready until after the 1st of the year. he's just plain tired of driving that 2yr old 600hp Cadillac.

Any chance all the shop guys could afford to skip that lunch and 3 days of work? Might show the boss what's up when orders aren't being filled for 3 days...

yah 3dys of lost production would cause a headache, but they won't cut you loose until they don't need ya. so they'd stagger it out over the next yr at their whim.

this fool hired some 30yr old kid to run the shop and forced out the guy that had been there for 43yrs. this kid was still tryin to bang cheerleaders, when i started here.

this idiot kid has gotten into my face a couple times now about things he has no knowledge of like, vertical up welds and multi passes on the huge items i make. insisting that vert up is old school and takes to long, and i should be running huge single pass welds on 7000# drive sprockets...........if i did either someone could get dead real fast with an equipment failure. and my refusal to listen to him has me on the shit list.
at thanksgiving, i put in 2dy vacation for dec. 26/27. last Mon. he came up to me and told me it was denied, he let to many others off and needed me to be there as i am able to work in all dept's.

18 yrs vested, but i don't wanna be there when those fools let the walls come fallin down.

Last edited:
Wow, maybe I shouldnt complain about my job. You must have a lot of patience.

I had to shave when I first started out in my career for a respirator. After two years and having worn the respirator only once (and that was only due to smell, nothing hazardous), I finally quit shaving and let my fit test lapse. Havent shaved since (2013 maybe?). Ill clean up for a formal party and make sure I dont have any scraggly hairs but the beard stays.

Wow... Some people don't get it. We paid a one week pay bonus to everyone in the organization, even after we're down 12%. Theory being that in a down year, we worked harder to conserve money and be fiscally responsible... We'll break even this year, with a 12% reduction in revenue.

Good luck finding a new job. There are good companies out there.

well after the guys found out our southern division got bonus's, and they are run in the RED purposely.
23 out of 62 didn't show. and 1 guy they begged not to retire earlier this yr, packed his stuff.

i don't care about the bonus, it's less than a days pay for me, but a lot of these guys don't make what i do.

it's the entitled 2nd generation didn't do shit but skim the till that urks me.

anyway...............i got my fuel cell all painted up, think i'm gonna finish it flat black, it's gonna be inside an aluminum box and not seen directly.
TB is repainted as well, it's not the prettiest chunk, but it'll function.

i got myself familiar with my JJ's, dam i like those.

the other joints are not bad really, they will go to their bind or casing limit with only 9lb of force, but i found something i really don't care for in that they rotate inside the casing, against the casing. the yr and a 1/2 old joint was dry and has the flexible bushing compound mixed with dried lube gummed up inside that bore. and the brand new part i opened was barely lubed. i gobbed um both up and reassembled them. friction against this casing will cause premature wear if the lube is not kept up with. not ideal really.

we're talkin about 200ish to replace these 4, so it's not gonna happen right away. but it's gonna.
i might part out some of this SA stuff, to recoup the dough needed.

i have a huge pile of stuff gathered and i'm really getting cabin fever not being able to get out there and work on her.

it hit 50 today so i went out and pulled the cover and .................click click click. i put the charger on it but it's not looking like it's gonna do any good. time for a new battery.

and i had to swap out the crankshaft position sensor on the kia. 45 mins to find it behind 2 heat shields. 2 stores for the part. and 15m to reinstall.

now i hope i can get to the Jeep's battery, it's real tight in there now with the raised fenders, and i may have to move other things to bring it up and out.