Someone hit my LJ today

Looks like an easy fix for any competent body man.
They will have to pry the steering wheel from my hands to make me stop driving when, hopefully, I get that old. The loss of independence is the worst thing about getting old. No matter how you feel I bet that man feels worse. We just had to have my 85yo MIL stop driving, which she did with out much trouble. Luckily between her kids, their spouses and grandkids we have her covered.
I agree and that’s why I tried to comfort him and not make him feel worse than he already did. No to find that competent body man you speak of. . .

A body shop will either repair or replace those two panels
You are the first that has mentioned the panels being replaced versus pulling them out. I was under the impression that the side “panel” was the entire size of the tub. As in 1 piece.

Ah, sorry to see that happen!

A good reminder for those with stock bumpers to keep those "milk jugs" on.

8EFD5D6D-2635-4DD3-BF41-80289F118BAF.png

A good body shop will make it look perfect and guaranty their work for as long as you own it. My white Jeep got hit in the side at 50 mph and looked like new when it was fixed. I didn't hold up as well after the wreck though. :unsure:

Reactions: 04 LJ
Find a really good PDR guy. I have used them many times. They can massage that metal. Ask them about any creases in the metal. Usually, when they work the panel back to its original shape, if there is a crease from the impact, the paint can crack there. It just can't flex enough.

You might end up needing to take it to a body shop and they will have to sand, fill, prime, paint and clear. Not sure there is a way around that unless the PDR can take care of it without cracking the paint.

That really sucks. But, in a few years from now, after the pain of the damage to your Jeep has faded, what you will be left with is the memory of how you handled that.

Here's what I would consider:

Get an estimate from a body shop, claim on his insurance. Take the cash for DIY. Be sure to also include a diminished value if this is a first collision.

Then, you have a number of options. In no particular order:
  1. Do nothing and leave it (personally I would have to do something)
  2. Pound it out to near shape and paint any damaged spots. You'll never get it quite perfect via this method but you can get it close to normal-looking with maybe 4-5 hours of effort and a few basic tools. (I would only do this if you consider it a beater jeep, which I'm guessing you do not.)
  3. Do a full body-shop style restoration, and cut out the entire damaged area, and replace it. If you know what you are doing, you can make that area pristine. (This is a lot of work.)
  4. Pound it out to near shape, spray over any paint damaged spots, and add corner guards. I've always liked the aluminum ones. You can have them painted to match the body. You can even paint the fastener heads too, much like the windshield bolts. (I personally would do this.
  5. Get around to doing that 5-12" stretch you've always wanted to do. At 5" of stretch, you'd still be able to use a stock gas tank or a 24 gallon aftermarket tank. Further than that and you will need a stretch tank. (Genright makes a 26 gallon stretch tank for the LJ.) Since you'll be cutting into the sheet metal anyways, this is the perfect time to start your stretch project.
  6. Go ham and get a whole new tub. Some aftermarket vendors are even making aluminum tubs.

Last edited:
If it's not reported to the police, it won't show up on Carfax. I've had my wife's car in the body shop twice to fix various things... Once was an insurance claim on a car wash because some idiot hit their brakes and stopped. It caused a huge chain reaction. That was two bumpers and some parking sensors.

The second was from a big rock thrown from a lawn mower. I stopped but the dude took off and wouldn't come talk to me.

Anyway... Find a good shop. The metal there is thin and pretty easy to work. It should be back to new looking no problem.

About five years ago somebody at work freaked out and drove her boyfriend's F-350 literally over the left front corner of our 2012 Grand Cherokee. She was so upset I thought she was going to have a stroke. I calmed her down and discovered we were both State Farm. I had it towed to a good body shop here in SA and a week later you could not tell it had ever been damaged. I was amazed at how good a job they did. Ask around, get some references and let the pros fix it.
BTW, if it gets on Carfax you will have diminished value, although it doesn't much matter for our Jeeps.

Because I don’t want it on Carfax. Just my personal preference. Hes willing to pay cash for the repair so I really have no reason to involve insurance.
I would get a police report just in case. This protects you in the event that he doesn't want to pay.
Take it to a local bodyshop with a good reputation and get an estimate. Tell them you will be paying cash.

I would get a police report just in case. This protects you in the event that he doesn't want to pay.
Take it to a local bodyshop with a good reputation and get an estimate. Tell them you will be paying cash.
I thought about that but think it’s probably too late now that we’ve left. I have his insurance and registration card. The old man was so rattled and his family was so nice and apologetic that I didn’t want to involve police at the time. I kinda wish I would have but i didn’t. I hope they will do the right thing like they said.

Yep. Nothing at all stopping him from completely ghosting you, his children, or grand-children taking over and thinking that your estimate for having it done right is not going to happen. “Its a Jeep”

I mean there’s folks in this thread who think they could fix it at home, so what’s his/their reaction gonna be when your “Jeep” takes a couple thousand to fix right?

Dont let emotions take over, stick with the facts, protect yourself, and get your Jeep fixed right.

Reactions: JMT
As for your Carfax worries I would make sure to keep photos of the damage to show prospective buyers the minimal damage done.
I’ve had vehicles hit many times over the years none have been my fault and everyone who hit me was a middle aged man or woman.

It’s easy to say someone’s license should be take away when it’s not yours.

Here's what I would consider:

Get an estimate from a body shop, claim on his insurance. Take the cash for DIY. Be sure to also include a diminished value if this is a first collision.

Then, you have a number of options. In no particular order:
  1. Do nothing and leave it (personally I would have to do something)
  2. Pound it out to near shape and paint any damaged spots. You'll never get it quite perfect via this method but you can get it close to normal-looking with maybe 4-5 hours of effort and a few basic tools. (I would only do this if you consider it a beater jeep, which I'm guessing you do not.)
  3. Do a full body-shop style restoration, and cut out the entire damaged area, and replace it. If you know what you are doing, you can make that area pristine. (This is a lot of work.)
  4. Pound it out to near shape, spray over any paint damaged spots, and add corner guards. I've always liked the aluminum ones. You can have them painted to match the body. You can even paint the fastener heads too, much like the windshield bolts. (I personally would do this.
  5. Get around to doing that 5-12" stretch you've always wanted to do. At 5" of stretch, you'd still be able to use a stock gas tank or a 24 gallon aftermarket tank. Further than that and you will need a stretch tank. (Genright makes a 26 gallon stretch tank for the LJ.) Since you'll be cutting into the sheet metal anyways, this is the perfect time to start your stretch project.
  6. Go ham and get a whole new tub. Some aftermarket vendors are even making aluminum tubs.
I’d go for 4 if I HAD to do it myself. Great option. But if a shop is doing it. Get it fixed perfect.

Well…OP could always use these and say he tried to fix it right…

I’d find junk yard OEM corners or if the Cadillac driver has insurance and does a claim, I’ve “theorized” that some insurance companies have aceess to parts places or certain junk yards that not everyone has access to.