Someone school me.......

Yup, and they made 2x4 XJ's as well. Not very common, but they are out there.

I don't know what the production numbers were for 2wd Wranglers is, but it's pretty low.

The JK's were two wheel drive for a few of their early years - then they did away with that.

Cherokees and Liberty's also were 2wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58
Interesting. I can see the XJ coming in 2wd since it can be a soccer mom hauler. But the Wrangler in 2wd seems ridiculous. Kind of like the "Pre-runner" 2wd pick up Toyota had some years ago.

Interesting. I can see the XJ coming in 2wd since it can be a soccer mom hauler. But the Wrangler in 2wd seems ridiculous. Kind of like the "Pre-runner" 2wd pick up Toyota had some years ago.
The original Chevy Blazers also had a 2WD available also.

What do you mean 'some years ago'? They ran that through 2015, but you can still buy a Tacoma in 2wd. They just did away with the lower sitting 5-lug 2wd Tacomas in 2016. Now the 4x4 & 4x2 Tacomas all have the same suspension, but the 4x2 is no longer called a PreRunner.

Reactions: Jay in Gray
What do you mean 'some years ago'? They ran that through 2015, but you can still buy a Tacoma in 2wd. They just did away with the lower sitting 5-lug 2wd Tacomas in 2016. Now the 4x4 & 4x2 Tacomas all have the same suspension, but the 4x2 is no longer called a PreRunner.
Ha, too funny. I guess they sold well enough to keep producing them.

OK, somebody tell me what the heck a PreRunner is, and what's the point?

"The term "prerunner" originally meant a vehicle that was not a race vehicle, but was used to go around a racecourse prior to a race so that someone could familiarize themselves with the course, or in other words, a prerunner is used to pre-run a course." Often used to pre-run something like the baja 1000.

Only JK Unlimited were offered in 2WD and probaly mainly in southern states like Florida. I know 2007 maybe 2008 not sure how far it went before they stopped.
It is sad specially when dealers lie to customers. I was once a part of a Jeep club down here in South Florida and we had a new member join the meeting with his new JKU. When we saw it it was 2WD and asked him why he bought it 2WD. He told us that because he was planing on customizing it the sales person suggested 2WD version so he could build it how he wanted.

I always thought the 2wd wranglers were more for the rental agency's, such as when I rented a wrangler in Hawaii back in 06. I didn't realize at the time, but I had gotten a brand new LJ Rubicon 4wd as a rental! I was told to stay off the "road to Hana." Should have done it anyways lol.

The key is to take the road backwards.