Someone tried to steal my jeep

ultrasnd

Keep my jeep in underground secure parking at my condo but they got to it anyway. They damaged drivers side door lock, got in, then cut the steering wheel to remove the steering wheel lock. They then went to work on my ignition switch and damaged that trying to get it to turn over. But I had the battery disconnected since I haven't been driving it and also have hood locks, so these two things were the saving grace I think. I do have two well hidden kill switches in it, one for the starter and one for the ignition but they didn't come into play since the battery was disconnected. Anybody had this happen? Jesus, I hate thiefs! Anyway, was just getting ready to sell it but now I have to find a way to get a mechanic out here to replace the ignition switch just so I can drive it to the jeep dealer for the rest of the repairs

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
Man, that sucks! I HATE thieves.
I came home one day after work over the summer to find my shed had been broken into and they stole both my stihl chainsaws, my pressure washer and a few other things, all to get some heroin or something! Hope you get her fixed and sold so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I was parked in downtown Pittsburgh and someone sliced my driver's side window to get the door open, which was unlocked. All they stole were coins in my console. Sunglasses, coat, cd's, etc were all left. I have a feeling it was one of the homeless dudes.

P5170001.jpg

Keep my jeep in underground secure parking at my condo but they got to it anyway. They damaged drivers side door lock, got in, then cut the steering wheel to remove the steering wheel lock. They then went to work on my ignition switch and damaged that trying to get it to turn over. But I had the battery disconnected since I haven't been driving it and also have hood locks, so these two things were the saving grace I think. I do have two well hidden kill switches in it, one for the starter and one for the ignition but they didn't come into play since the battery was disconnected. Anybody had this happen? Jesus, I hate thiefs! Anyway, was just getting ready to sell it but now I have to find a way to get a mechanic out here to replace the ignition switch just so I can drive it to the jeep dealer for the rest of the repairs

That's absolutely insane, sorry you have to deal with the world's scum.
A thief is truly the lowest form of life and infuriates me.....again sorry.

Reactions: Al1
@Ahoragi

View attachment 10817[/QUOTE]

Man, that is some serious bullshit! One of the lowest forms of living excrement are thieves. This has me thinking of putting a small glow in the dark sticker on my soft windows that reads: "doors are unlocked - no valuables in Jeep"
But that may be asking for it. And who knows, half of them probably can't read anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tomcat and JP13
Ive read that in San Diego these piles of shit crooks often take them down into Mexico. Forgot to mention, thank you for posting your potential deterrent. I NEED to get myself some hood locks. And for over a year have been considering a cut-off switch. The only thing I can't deter these scumfcks from doing is, flat-bedding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JP13
Dude, good thing you have the safety switches and the hood locks!
What part of SD are you in?

I have yet to get the kill switches installed, and need to find a hood lock that works well with my 2000 - but they are *Definitely* on my list asap, as this is my nightmare :(

Also, I ever catch anyone in my garage effing with my Jeep, we are going to have a *Very* one sided conversation. A Smith & Wesson conversation.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I installed the locking hood latches about five years ago after someone stole my battery while it was parked at a trailhead. They are only a small deterrent but will the cost the thief time and this is good. When the locksmith came by to replace the ignition cyclinder, he showed me how simple a jeep is to steal. Simply brute force with some pliers and twist in the same motion as a key and it snaps the internal mechanism and starts right up. The moral of this tale is to bulletproof your jeep with as many anti theft devices as you can put in it. One of them may just be the one that keeps your jeep from being stolen. I was watching a program where they were interviewing reformed car thieves and all concurred that kill switches were the biggest obstacle to them. They are cheap and easy to install so no reason you guys can't do this to save your jeep. They also said most alarms were laughable, since every ignores them and they are easy to cut the speaker wires. I'll share this story with you:

In 1973 I owned a 1966 corvette that I loved and being just as paranoid back then as I am now, I had an ignition kill switch installed. Well some time later, months perhaps, in the middle of the night around 3:00AM I get a call from the seattle police dept. asking if I was missing my corvette and had I been drinking the night before. I said I don't drink and wait a minute let me look outside the apartment for my jeep. Well, it was gone! I ran back to the phone and told the police it was gone and they told me it was about one block away at the bottom of my hill I lived on with both doors wide open and in the middle of a major intersection (ie. approx Pike and Boren, if you know Seattle). Well I quickly dressed and met them at the intersection and sure enough, I set the kill switch to ON and it started right up when I got a jump, to the amazement of the cops. Still not sure they believed that it wasn't me who left it there in a drunken stupor. Anyway, the thief somehow must have had some sort of master key because the ignition was not damaged, they then tried to start it until the battery went dead (remember the ignition kill switch) then decided they would rock it back and forth to get it out of a real tight parking space and try to start it by compression. Not succeeding, they abandened it in the middle of the intersection. I HATE THIEVES!

Reactions: Chris
At the trail head?? What a bunch of dicks :mad: I am going to look into locking hood latches at least. I park mine in the garage but I do leave it in the wilderness when hunting. I have read about guys stashing a trail cam when they leave their vehicle to go on hikes/hunts to catch people messing with their stuff.

UPDATE:
I installed the locking hood latches about five years ago after someone stole my battery while it was parked at a trailhead. They are only a small deterrent but will the cost the thief time and this is good. When the locksmith came by to replace the ignition cyclinder, he showed me how simple a jeep is to steal. Simply brute force with some pliers and twist in the same motion as a key and it snaps the internal mechanism and starts right up. The moral of this tale is to bulletproof your jeep with as many anti theft devices as you can put in it. One of them may just be the one that keeps your jeep from being stolen. I was watching a program where they were interviewing reformed car thieves and all concurred that kill switches were the biggest obstacle to them. They are cheap and easy to install so no reason you guys can't do this to save your jeep. They also said most alarms were laughable, since every ignores them and they are easy to cut the speaker wires. I'll share this story with you:

In 1973 I owned a 1966 corvette that I loved and being just as paranoid back then as I am now, I had an ignition kill switch installed. Well some time later, months perhaps, in the middle of the night around 3:00AM I get a call from the seattle police dept. asking if I was missing my corvette and had I been drinking the night before. I said I don't drink and wait a minute let me look outside the apartment for my jeep. Well, it was gone! I ran back to the phone and told the police it was gone and they told me it was about one block away at the bottom of my hill I lived on with both doors wide open and in the middle of a major intersection (ie. approx Pike and Boren, if you know Seattle). Well I quickly dressed and met them at the intersection and sure enough, I set the kill switch to ON and it started right up when I got a jump, to the amazement of the cops. Still not sure they believed that it wasn't me who left it there in a drunken stupor. Anyway, the thief somehow must have had some sort of master key because the ignition was not damaged, they then tried to start it until the battery went dead (remember the ignition kill switch) then decided they would rock it back and forth to get it out of a real tight parking space and try to start it by compression. Not succeeding, they abandened it in the middle of the intersection. I HATE THIEVES!

where is the best spot to install a kill switch (or two)?

where is the best spot to install a kill switch (or two)?
In my personal opinion, kill switches should only be installed if you're prepared to make sure the wiring, switch, splices, etc. are all installed well enough to be absolutely BULLETPROOF. A kill switch is introducing a new additional point of failure into the starting circuit and it better damned well be bulletproof so it won't fail when you're 50 miles from nowhere.

If the "kill switch" isn't going to be used on a daily basis, like if you just occasionally park it at a vulnerable location, I would just pull the ASD relay and stick it in your briefcase, luggage, etc. or hide it in the Jeep. It flat out won't start with the ASD relay missing. Heck just lay the ASD relay inside the PDC, few thieves would think to look in there when it won't start.

If you really want to install a kill switch, I'd wire it into the ASD relay circuit, in the relay's energizing coil circuit. I'd make sure to use a high quality switch and good stranded wiring like 16 gauge and make sure all the connections are made like your life depended on them. :)

In my personal opinion, kill switches should only be installed if you're prepared to make sure the wiring, switch, splices, etc. are all installed well enough to be absolutely BULLETPROOF. A kill switch is introducing a new additional point of failure into the starting circuit and it better damned well be bulletproof so it won't fail when you're 50 miles from nowhere.

If the "kill switch" isn't going to be used on a daily basis, like if you just occasionally park it at a vulnerable location, I would just pull the ASD relay and stick it in your briefcase, luggage, etc. or hide it in the Jeep. It flat out won't start with the ASD relay missing. Heck just lay the ASD relay inside the PDC, few thieves would think to look in there when it won't start.

If you really want to install a kill switch, I'd wire it into the ASD relay circuit, in the relay's energizing coil circuit. I'd make sure to use a high quality switch and good stranded wiring like 16 gauge and make sure all the connections are made like your life depended on them. :)

I'm more concerned about the occasional vulnerable location. Which relay is the "ASD" and What does "ASD" stand for?

I'm more concerned about the occasional vulnerable location. Which relay is the "ASD" and What does "ASD" stand for?
Auto Shut Down. The ASD relay supplies/controls the power to the fuel pump and fuel injectors, it is under control of the engine computer. When the ASD relay is deactivated or removed, the engine absolutely cannot be started even by hotwiring the ignition.

From opening to shutting the hood, I could remove my ASD relay in probably 30-45 seconds, it just plugs in.

This is from a 2000 TJ.

4365964427_322c5e1be1.jpg

Last edited: