Someone tried to steal my jeep

Just out of curiosity, is there anything you can do to slow down or stop someone from putting it on a flatbed?

Sorry if this brings back some sad memories Jerry!

Just out of curiosity, is there anything you can do to slow down or stop someone from putting it on a flatbed?

Sorry if this brings back some sad memories Jerry!
Ha, sink some big-assed eyebolts into concrete and use a big-assed rated chain to secure the Jeep to them. :D

Ha, sink some big-assed eyebolts into concrete and use a big-assed chain to secure the Jeep to them. :D
That's kinda what I figured.. Thankfully I don't live where stealing cars happens very often. But in case I do ever move where I'm surrounded by you city slicker folks;) just wanted to have an idea

Auto Shut Down. The ASD relay supplies/controls the power to the fuel pump and fuel injectors, it is under control of the engine computer. When the ASD relay is deactivated or removed, the engine absolutely cannot be started even by hotwiring the ignition.

From opening to shutting the hood, I could remove my ASD relay in probably 30-45 seconds, it just plugs in.

This is from a 2000 TJ.

View attachment 11121

Super, thanks Jerry. That's pretty easy to do to make it safe.

Is it bad to take out the asd relay frequently? You mentioned to do it if you only occasionally park in a high r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The relay jack is pretty rugged, it doesn't seem likely to be worn out from this being done with a modicum of due care. You may want a backup/spare relay located/hidden somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP13 and Chris
Man that sucks. I feel your pain. I've been jacked like that before. They took the wheels and left it on its rotars. They didn't take my cd's or anything else. I guess they didn't like my music. Insurance should take care of it. I hate thieves.

Auto Shut Down. The ASD relay supplies/controls the power to the fuel pump and fuel injectors, it is under control of the engine computer. When the ASD relay is deactivated or removed, the engine absolutely cannot be started even by hotwiring the ignition.

From opening to shutting the hood, I could remove my ASD relay in probably 30-45 seconds, it just plugs in.

This is from a 2000 TJ.

View attachment 11121
I always like your elegant and usually inexpensive solutions. Thank you.

I always like your elegant and usually inexpensive solutions. Thank you.

One thing to remember is that most jeeps are not stolen when you happen to venture into the bad area of town, park at the airport or etc.. Because they are so damn easy to steal, they are taken from apartment parking lots, shopping parking lots, work parking lots, and even your driveway and in a matter of minutes. My concern would be that you will not pop your hood to remove the relay multiple times a day. Although popping out the ASD relay seems a great solution anytime you want to leave it for a longer period of time. Now my two kill switches (ignition and starter) were installed by a shop 14 years ago and they're still going strong. This shop mainly installed stereos in cars but had done a fair amount of kill switches. Although I will say I do intend to move the starter kill switch because the thieves did find it so it must have been too obvious. I do travel a lot and I may start pulling out the relay before I leave in addition to using my kill switches. An additional safeguard is to install a battery disconnect switch but install one that is remote from the battery terminal so if they do get to your engine they will not see the disconnect on the terminal. Now, it may seem a bit of paranoia but what is it worth to be able to relax and know your jeep will be there in the morning or when you finish work. If you have a newer jeep or even an older one with a lot of custom goodies, I would recommend kill switches and hood locks at the very least and a battery disconnect switch or pull the ASD relay for longer term parking.

This thread got me thinking. I used to work as a pilot in Puerto Rico (for a brief period a long time ago) and although I did not have a car on the island, many of my colleagues did. It was very common to have the battery stolen out of your car while it was parked in the airport lot, and owners went to ingenious lengths to lock up the batteries. It was a long time ago, and I can't remember what they did. But now I'm thinking I would hate to have my battery stolen while out prospecting. But locking hood latches are not the answer, because if I lose my key out in the woods, or lock the key in the Jeep (it's happened), and my hood is locked, I can't get to the spare key hidden in the engine compartment. That would really suck. So I'm looking for a way to lock the battery down in place. Does anybody have any ideas?

Reactions: Chris
You can hide a spare key (or two) in lots of places underneath the Jeep, a few layers of duct tape wrapped around what it is taped to will hold it securely for many years. I always have a spare key well hidden somewhere in/around my jeep.

Last edited:
This thread got me thinking. I used to work as a pilot in Puerto Rico (for a brief period a long time ago) and although I did not have a car on the island, many of my colleagues did. It was very common to have the battery stolen out of your car while it was parked in the airport lot, and owners went to ingenious lengths to lock up the batteries. It was a long time ago, and I can't remember what they did. But now I'm thinking I would hate to have my battery stolen while out prospecting. But locking hood latches are not the answer, because if I lose my key out in the woods, or lock the key in the Jeep (it's happened), and my hood is locked, I can't get to the spare key hidden in the engine compartment. That would really suck. So I'm looking for a way to lock the battery down in place. Does anybody have any ideas?

I keep a spare in my wallet.

You can hide a spare key (or two) in lots of places underneath the Jeep, a few layers of duct tape wrapped around what it is taped to will hold it securely for many years. I always have a spare key well hidden somewhere in/around my jeep.

Thanks, Jerry. I didn't think there was anyplace more secure than I'd found in the engine compartment, but your tip about just wrapping it well with duct tape, hidden somewhere underneath, would be better. So, locking hood latches to protect the battery while I'm away prospecting in the woods, and the spare key hidden underneath with duct tape. That should work.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

This is from a 2000 TJ.

View attachment 11121

Easiest, cheapest and fool proof. Thieves are not going to spend time troubleshooting.