Sometimes tire covers don't make much sense

4 banger TJ

TJ Enthusiast
While driving behind other jeeps I like to look at the tire covers. It’s a good way to make your Jeep yours without changing things too drastically. Sometimes I don’t really get the idea though.

1568073218297.jpeg

I mean, I get the idea, but this looks like Joop instead of Jeep!

I don't like tire covers. Just a place for crap to pile up. The PO of my Jeep had one on. And there was so much dirt and debris built up it was making the wheel discolored. Or at the very least needed to be polished. I sold them the first month I had the Jeep. Plus I kind of like the look of a bare tire and wheel on the back. Looks more...rugged and outdoors like.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I have the compass Jeep tire cover because my vehicle has a set of 5 brand new tires. Is it actually detrimental to have one though? I don't want my tire to be negatively affected.

• Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I have the compass Jeep tire cover because my vehicle has a set of 5 brand new tires. Is it actually detrimental to have one though? I don't want my tire to be negatively affected.

It might help that one tire from long term sun damage. But they'll wear out way before then. I don't think a tire cover does anything bad to your tire though.

Chris was at the JK Owners Saturday Coffee meeting down at the Angry Bird Grill... they said the problem was you have to buy a set of 4 and you won't get 15-20 miles before they turn to shreds...way less off road.

Someone needs to look into this .

Chris was at the JK Owners Saturday Coffee meeting down at the Angry Bird Grill... they said the problem was you have to buy a set of 4 and you won't get 15-20 miles before they turn to shreds...way less off road.

Someone needs to look into this .

But you get much better mpg during that 15 miles.

I don't like tire covers. Just a place for crap to pile up. The PO of my Jeep had one on. And there was so much dirt and debris built up it was making the wheel discolored. Or at the very least needed to be polished. I sold them the first month I had the Jeep. Plus I kind of like the look of a bare tire and wheel on the back. Looks more...rugged and outdoors like.
I kind of like tire covers. The SoCal sun is so strong it rots everything it hits, and I'd rather have it rot the tire cover than rot the tire. Also, a tire cover seems to keep some of the trail dust off the tire and wheel. My PO had one on permanently, and the tire underneath looked a lot better than it should have for its age. And the wheel is still pristine.

The SoCal sun is so strong it rots everything it hits, and I'd rather have it rot the tire cover than rot the tire.

What do you do about the four tires contacting the ground?

:unsure:

I had a cover over my spare but pulled it off a month or two ago. I wanted to wash the Jeep and thought I'd pull the spare off to clean the tailgate. That's when I realized that the spare tire holder was starting to rust. I've kept the cover off since then and plan on cleaning & painting the carrier. Not sure if the cover is going back on. It'll be a game time decision.

What do you do about the four tires contacting the ground?

:unsure:
Wear them out and replace them. What else? The spare is a mismatched size, so it can't go into the rotation. If it's just sitting there, I might as well keep it fresh.

So you have a extra tire not a spare? Why carry it then.
The way I would see that would be in case he has a flat he has a wheel/tire to put on to get him to his destination or place to have flat tire repaired why else? I think( I might be wrong but highly doubt it) 🤔 is why it is called a spare. No different than probably than probably 80-90% of cars nowadays. Probably only thing that comes with same size spare would be pick up or full size suv. And besides how many people actually rotate in the spare tire along with others ? I would probably say very few, even most that have a matching size/brand/tread matching one probably don't. Just for looks like most other stuff added.

Reactions: reddvltj
I feel like the guy who doesn’t fit, I rotate my spare into the mix at every tire rotation...
I used to do the same thing with my first TJ until I went with a different tire size to take some of the weight off of the tail gate. I went from a 33x12.5 to a 33x9.5 tire alone was 10 lbs lighter. I started to notice side wall craking on the spare after about 2 years. I was not amused. At first I thought it was just an old tire when I bought it, but after talking to the tire manufacturer they told me lack of use will speed up the deterioration that the sun and heat cause. Live and learn I guess. A 5 tire and wheel package is in the plan for my build

Reactions: TJ Rubicus
The way I would see that would be in case he has a flat he has a wheel/tire to put on to get him to his destination or place to have flat tire repaired why else? I think( I might be wrong but highly doubt it) 🤔 is why it is called a spare. No different than probably than probably 80-90% of cars nowadays. Probably only thing that comes with same size spare would be pick up or full size suv. And besides how many people actually rotate in the spare tire along with others ? I would probably say very few, even most that have a matching size/brand/tread matching one probably don't. Just for looks like most other stuff added.
Consider yourself lucky if you even get a doughnut spare on new cars these days... Had a customer come in, to have me fix a flat on his car, tell me he called AAA to come air up his tire at his house because his brand new car didn't have a spare. I gave him a puzzled look and he popped his trunk. There where the spare was supposed to be was some kind of fix a flat and a small 12v compressor.

Reactions: Rollin20z
Consider yourself lucky if you even get a doughnut spare on new cars these days... Had a customer come in, to have me fix a flat on his car, tell me he called AAA to come air up his tire at his house because his brand new car didn't have a spare. I gave him a puzzled look and he popped his trunk. There where the spare was supposed to be was some kind of fix a flat and a small 12v compressor.

True, that' all my Z06 has. Looks like little bicycle compressor and can a Fix-a-Flat. Go figure, but in all reality there is no room even for a doughnut size spare. That ole pay more get less thing going on there. :ROFLMAO:

True, that' all my Z06 has. Looks like little bicycle compressor and can a Fix-a-Flat. Go figure, but in all reality there is no room even for a doughnut size spare. That ole pay more get less thing going on there. :ROFLMAO:
There was a spare tire well in that guys car, he said when he asked the dealer why he didn't have a spare tire, he was told that it's an option!?!?!?!?! SMH

There was a spare tire well in that guys car, he said when he asked the dealer why he didn't have a spare tire, he was told that it's an option!?!?!?!?! SMH
Oh ok then someone cheaped out on that option then, but mine didn't have the option. Here is my spare, tire inflator kit(at least what they call it lol) minus the can of which resides in another hole of sorta trunk. I mean really, it's not even as big as a damn slide/flip flop but that is considered your spare so to speak.

Gotta love it though...:cool:

IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_0736.JPG

• Wow