Son's first ride! 99 XJ

97TJNM

High Desert Redneck
Supporting Member
About 2 years ago, I picked up a 99 XJ with 155k for $3500 (prices have gotten stupid since then!). It needed a bunch of little maintenance stuff, but overall was in really good shape. It's a 4 door with the 4.0 and the AW-4 tranny and no rust issues. It was a good start.
20221231_163242.jpg

My son was 12 at the time, and I knew I had a couple of years to turn it into a nice daily driver for him when he got his permit.

Over the past 2 years, whenever I had spare time and a couple hundred bucks, I'd pick something and fix it. Tons of little stuff got fixed like an electrical gremlin in the gauge cluster (shorted wires behind the dash), numerous bad grounds, a vacuum leak, an A/C leak, sagging springs, front end needing rebuilt, worn-out tires, shitty steel wheels that had paint missing everywhere, fluids in bad need of changing... you get the idea. My son helped with a lot of the work along the way, and everything we fixed, we tried to do with quality parts or at least upgrades to OEM stuff. Like when we replace the rear leaf springs we went with "tow package" springs, which are supposed to be a little stiffer, and ended up netting an inch over stock height in the rear. Since I wanted to put 31's on it anyway, I went ahead an put 1" pucks over the front springs. When we changed the tranny fluid, I went ahead and added a cooler. You get the idea. Basically as we fixed things, we did minor upgrades along the way. We also added a small light bar to the front bumper, because my son thought it was cool.

Well, about 6 months ago, I got everything done to have it mechanically sound. It's been a fun little vehicle to rip around town in, but I realised that in April 2023, my son will be taking Driver's Ed... Time to get this ol' girl ready for my boy. He has been cruising it around on back roads on the weekends with me learning the basics of driving, and watching him drive it around reminded me of a time long ago when I was experiencing the thrill and freedom of having my first set of wheels (a 90 Ford Ranger, if you're wondering).

Since it is mechanically solid, I have been thinking about stuff that I thought was cool in a vehicle when I was a kid as well as safety upgrades that I want in there when he is driving.

First up was a stereo. What kid doesn't love a stereo? I picked up a JVC head unit that is Bluetooth capable and has a mic. Hands free is a must. Kids are knuckleheads so I figure if I made sure it had a hands free system, anlt least he wouldn't do some dumb crap like try to juggle talking on his phone while driving. I also picked up 4 6.5" JBL speakers to replace the door speakers and the back hatch speakers. I also got a low-profile JBL 8" sub with built in amp. On Christmas Eve, I taught my son how to wire a sound system. I remember my older brother teaching me how years ago, and after learning how that summer, I must have helped half a dozen buddies install stereos, speakers, and amps in their cars. Maybe my son will spend summer of '23 helping his buddies install sound systems! He loves music (and great shit like Queen, Linkin Park, Gorillaz and Springsteen, to boot!) So I got him a Spotify account as well.
20221231_163256.jpg

20221231_165926.jpg

20221231_163307.jpg

I installed a phone mount on the dash so he can run maps if needed and ran a back-up camera as well.
20221231_163301.jpg

20221231_163331.jpg

20221231_163353.jpg

All in all, it has been a great bonding experience with my son and he has a hell-for-stout, reliable, fun 4wd Jeep at the end of it all. Not only has it been a great time working on it with my boy, but all-in I'm under 7k in the ride, too!

Nice XJ ! Way to make those memories. Your son will be riding with grin and remember those days forever.

Reactions: 97TJNM
I was just telling my partner last night that she's most likely going to have an XJ when her Sentra dies if we can't afford an old Subaru Forester instead. Looks great, and love the upgrades!

I was just telling my partner last night that she's most likely going to have an XJ when her Sentra dies if we can't afford an old Subaru Forester instead. Looks great, and love the upgrades!

I'd vote for the XJ, but Foresters are good little cars, and they may be cheaper than an XJ at today's market prices!

Yes! It really is a lot of fun... and nerve-racking! 😆

I helped get a 91 XJ up to snuff for my oldest daughter. It’s a reliable vehicle with 230,000 miles. I didn’t go as far as you did. Yours looks really nice. I learned some odd stuff about XJ’s, such as hers has part time 4wd, which meant keep it in 4wd only part of the time bc the transfer case binds the front and rear driveshafts together. Seems off to me, but makes sense you must be on a slippery surface or just drive straight to avoid getting the shafts at odds with one another. Fun cars that drive great. She just moved on to another car and I’m wondering what to do with the XJ. 🤔

I helped get a 91 XJ up to snuff for my oldest daughter. It’s a reliable vehicle with 230,000 miles. I didn’t go as far as you did. Yours looks really nice. I learned some odd stuff about XJ’s, such as hers has part time 4wd, which meant keep it in 4wd only part of the time bc the transfer case binds the front and rear driveshafts together. Seems off to me, but makes sense you must be on a slippery surface or just drive straight to avoid getting the shafts at odds with one another. Fun cars that drive great. She just moved on to another car and I’m wondering what to do with the XJ. 🤔

Keeeeeepppp it. They make a great cruising-around vehicle.

Son finished Driver's Ed, and so in preparation for getting his permit, we had a wrenching day. Changed spark plugs and wires (I think they were original) and drained and cleaned diffs and refilled them (oil was BLACK. Probably hadn't been changed in 10 years).

This afternoon his certificate from Driver's Ed came in, and we have an appointment with the MVD on Wednesday to get him a permit!

I'm proud, and a little scared. It's hard to let em go sometimes.

20230923_183219.jpg

A proud moment for you both! When mine started driving it gave me insight to how my parents must have felt. Hope all goes well on Wed. Nice looking ride. ; )

About 2 years ago, I picked up a 99 XJ with 155k for $3500 (prices have gotten stupid since then!). It needed a bunch of little maintenance stuff, but overall was in really good shape. It's a 4 door with the 4.0 and the AW-4 tranny and no rust issues. It was a good start.
View attachment 388288
My son was 12 at the time, and I knew I had a couple of years to turn it into a nice daily driver for him when he got his permit.

Over the past 2 years, whenever I had spare time and a couple hundred bucks, I'd pick something and fix it. Tons of little stuff got fixed like an electrical gremlin in the gauge cluster (shorted wires behind the dash), numerous bad grounds, a vacuum leak, an A/C leak, sagging springs, front end needing rebuilt, worn-out tires, shitty steel wheels that had paint missing everywhere, fluids in bad need of changing... you get the idea. My son helped with a lot of the work along the way, and everything we fixed, we tried to do with quality parts or at least upgrades to OEM stuff. Like when we replace the rear leaf springs we went with "tow package" springs, which are supposed to be a little stiffer, and ended up netting an inch over stock height in the rear. Since I wanted to put 31's on it anyway, I went ahead an put 1" pucks over the front springs. When we changed the tranny fluid, I went ahead and added a cooler. You get the idea. Basically as we fixed things, we did minor upgrades along the way. We also added a small light bar to the front bumper, because my son thought it was cool.

Well, about 6 months ago, I got everything done to have it mechanically sound. It's been a fun little vehicle to rip around town in, but I realised that in April 2023, my son will be taking Driver's Ed... Time to get this ol' girl ready for my boy. He has been cruising it around on back roads on the weekends with me learning the basics of driving, and watching him drive it around reminded me of a time long ago when I was experiencing the thrill and freedom of having my first set of wheels (a 90 Ford Ranger, if you're wondering).

Since it is mechanically solid, I have been thinking about stuff that I thought was cool in a vehicle when I was a kid as well as safety upgrades that I want in there when he is driving.

First up was a stereo. What kid doesn't love a stereo? I picked up a JVC head unit that is Bluetooth capable and has a mic. Hands free is a must. Kids are knuckleheads so I figure if I made sure it had a hands free system, anlt least he wouldn't do some dumb crap like try to juggle talking on his phone while driving. I also picked up 4 6.5" JBL speakers to replace the door speakers and the back hatch speakers. I also got a low-profile JBL 8" sub with built in amp. On Christmas Eve, I taught my son how to wire a sound system. I remember my older brother teaching me how years ago, and after learning how that summer, I must have helped half a dozen buddies install stereos, speakers, and amps in their cars. Maybe my son will spend summer of '23 helping his buddies install sound systems! He loves music (and great shit like Queen, Linkin Park, Gorillaz and Springsteen, to boot!) So I got him a Spotify account as well.
View attachment 388289

View attachment 388294

View attachment 388291
I installed a phone mount on the dash so he can run maps if needed and ran a back-up camera as well.
View attachment 388290

View attachment 388292

View attachment 388293
All in all, it has been a great bonding experience with my son and he has a hell-for-stout, reliable, fun 4wd Jeep at the end of it all. Not only has it been a great time working on it with my boy, but all-in I'm under 7k in the ride, too!

Buddy, I love the whole story.

As children grow into the adolescent stage they acculturate to the broader tribe- you may not even hardly know each other for a few years- this is normal. This is the stage where I couldn’t figure out how someone as dumb as my parents had a kid as smart as me.

Not easy, but normal. Providence knows we will not always be here.

Your forward thinking gave you time together I guarantee he needed, and it and the XJ will forever be special to you and him. Plus those are great vehicles. Mine was awesome. Perfect choice.

It is not widely known but while the TJ reestablished the Jeep utility platform with a boost from the YJ keeping it talked about, Lee Iococca and the Cherokee saved the Jeep name, along with $600 million dollars Lee paid for it. It was a massive hit, and likely why they knew if they combined 4 doors and a topless jeep they would have a winner.

Good job as a dad all around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 97TJNM and TokenJo
Buddy, I love the whole story.

As children grow into the adolescent stage they acculturate to the broader tribe- you may not even hardly know each other for a few years- this is normal. This is the stage where I couldn’t figure out how someone as dumb as my parents had a kid as smart as me.

Not easy, but normal. Providence knows we will not always be here.

Your forward thinking gave you time together I guarantee he needed, and it and the XJ will forever be special to you and him. Plus those are great vehicles. Mine was awesome. Perfect choice.

It is not widely known but while the TJ reestablished the Jeep utility platform with a boost from the YJ keeping it talked about, Lee Iococca and the Cherokee saved the Jeep name, along with $600 million dollars Lee paid for it. It was a massive hit, and likely why they knew if they combined 4 doors and a topless jeep they would have a winner.

Good job as a dad all around.

Thanks, man.

My boy and I don't have a ton in common. I'm a hunter, enjoy working with my hands, and like cars and camping.

My son is extremely intelligent, on the autism spectrum, and loves computers.

We both know we are very different people, but we both work at showing an interest in each other's hobbies, and it has really helped with our bond. He expressed an interest in shooting recently, so I have been introducing him to long range rifles. He can now ring a gong at 300 yards.

When we first started this project, he wasn't all that interested, but last year, when he was 14, I think it really started sinking in that we were building it for him, and he turned a corner on the project. He became very involved in fixing it up.

We went driving for a half hour last night, and he only got flustered once. He's doing well.

He's interested in pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering with a minor in aerospace engineering at New Mexico Tech. He can get a full ride if he maintains a 3.75 or better GPA. He is taking college robotics courses through the high school's dual enrollment program, and wants to continue taking all the college courses he can while in high school. Once he graduates from college, he wants to come back to Los Alamos and work for the National Laboratory as an engineer. Lord knows I didn't end up on the path in life I originally planned for back in high school, but I wouldn't change it. I'm just happy he is thinking critically about his future and where he wants to be in 10 years.

He is an extremely capable young man in many respects. I'm fiercely proud.

• USA Proud
Reactions: AndyG and Squatch
Oh, and oddly enough, my dad never owned a dodge/chrysler product, but was a student of business. I knew the story about the Cherokee because my dad had a lot of respect for Lee Iococca.

Reactions: Squatch and AndyG
Thanks, man.

My boy and I don't have a ton in common. I'm a hunter, enjoy working with my hands, and like cars and camping.

My son is extremely intelligent, on the autism spectrum, and loves computers.

We both know we are very different people, but we both work at showing an interest in each other's hobbies, and it has really helped with our bond. He expressed an interest in shooting recently, so I have been introducing him to long range rifles. He can now ring a gong at 300 yards.

When we first started this project, he wasn't all that interested, but last year, when he was 14, I think it really started sinking in that we were building it for him, and he turned a corner on the project. He became very involved in fixing it up.

We went driving for a half hour last night, and he only got flustered once. He's doing well.

He's interested in pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering with a minor in aerospace engineering at New Mexico Tech. He can get a full ride if he maintains a 3.75 or better GPA. He is taking college robotics courses through the high school's dual enrollment program, and wants to continue taking all the college courses he can while in high school. Once he graduates from college, he wants to come back to Los Alamos and work for the National Laboratory as an engineer. Lord knows I didn't end up on the path in life I originally planned for back in high school, but I wouldn't change it. I'm just happy he is thinking critically about his future and where he wants to be in 10 years.

He is an extremely capable young man in many respects. I'm fiercely proud.

That is awesome. I have two sons and it weighs on a dad to know they can make it in life - and they will. We all do- eventually. However close and present you can be will mean so much later.

• Love
Reactions: Squatch and 97TJNM