Soon to be joining the TJ club

Wow, that thing looks clean! Great buy for sure.

I dig it entirely, minus the wheels! I'd put some 15" wheels on there for sure.

Reactions: StG58
Worth the wait! Great Rubicon. I think it's awesome.

PS: Regarding the soft top. Does the type in the photo allow for running with the sides open? I was gonna order a bimini top right now so I'd have it by Friday but if that soft top can be "disassembled" such that I can have a roof but no walls I won't waste money. I'm stoked to do topless cruising, but having owned a targa top equipped Honda del Sol I know having your noggin exposed to the sun is not fun, lol.
I run my TJ with the soft top up and the windows out all the time. I don't relish the thought of getting baked in the summer around here, and I have had it with those headers they use for bikini/safari tops.

I do have a Spiderwebshade, though, for those top down days...

Thanks all. Yea, I'm definitely not feeling those wheels lol. I think I'll probably throw some Blizzaks on them and use them for winter wheels once I switch to 31s or 32s on a 15" wheel. I figure wheels I don't care about are good for that use, so if I slide on ice and curb it I won't be upset hehe.

Reactions: Chris
They really need to split Northern and southern Cali. Maybe a topic for the dreaded political thread. Lol!

Reactions: StG58
You could offer to sell those wheels/tires to @StG58 for his wife's JK, but they live on the other side of the country...

Nice Rubicon, congratulations.
Thanks for thinking of us, but we have tires and wheels on the way.

That is a nice Rubi! You'll appreciate having it when / if you start to mod it for off road use.

For that matter, a Rubicon really doesn't need all that much for the majority of off road usage. Winch, maybe wheels, 31 or 32" tires, maybe springs and shocks. You really don't need to go crazy spending money on a Rubicon to have a whole ton o' fun with it. Or to go places most folks can't get to easily in a different rig.

Last edited:
You would have to have adapters to run those wheels on a TJ. Doesn't seem to make the wheels stick out too far, though.
Unless somebody upgraded the axles and used the 5 on 5 lug bolt holes in the hubs. I'm guessing probably not though, from the general appearance of the rest of the TJ.

I agree, big wheel with smaller rubber definitely lends it too much of a mall crawler feel. That's one thing I intend to rectify within the first couple months :)

I've been surfing the net and building my list of "to-dos" the last day or two. I never did much serious off roading, my primary desire for the 4x4 is snow use so my first wave of changes is mostly aesthetics. I want to black out the headlight rings, debadge it, get 31s or 32s on basic 15" wheels (still debating on black or polished), clear/smoked turn signals/corners, silver coated turn/marker bulbs that glow amber when activated to avoid the egg yolk effect on said smoked lenses, side mirror relocation kit as I intend to run doorless and don't want to draw the ire of the police, new OPDA just in case, tubular half doors, Redline Goods leather products (shift boot, steering wheel wrap and center console armrest wrap/pad), Saavy low profile black chassis LED tail lenses, Silverstar headlights since I have to be halogen (so used to HID in my Veloster lol) and some sort of fog light or LED light system in case they still are weak.

Once I find somewhere I can do some wheeling, if I get bit by the bug then I'll start thinking aftermarket bumpers and winch and the like :) Of course, I guess even if I just use the four wheel drive for snow a winch could still come in handy if I get in over my head (or tires as it were heh).

Reactions: Chris
I agree, big wheel with smaller rubber definitely lends it too much of a mall crawler feel. That's one thing I intend to rectify within the first couple months :)

I've been surfing the net and building my list of "to-dos" the last day or two. I never did much serious off roading, my primary desire for the 4x4 is snow use so my first wave of changes is mostly aesthetics. I want to black out the headlight rings, debadge it, get 31s or 32s on basic 15" wheels (still debating on black or polished), clear/smoked turn signals/corners, silver coated turn/marker bulbs that glow amber when activated to avoid the egg yolk effect on said smoked lenses, side mirror relocation kit as I intend to run doorless and don't want to draw the ire of the police, new OPDA just in case, tubular half doors, Redline Goods leather products (shift boot, steering wheel wrap and center console armrest wrap/pad), Saavy low profile black chassis LED tail lenses, Silverstar headlights since I have to be halogen (so used to HID in my Veloster lol) and some sort of fog light or LED light system in case they still are weak.

Once I find somewhere I can do some wheeling, if I get bit by the bug then I'll start thinking aftermarket bumpers and winch and the like :) Of course, I guess even if I just use the four wheel drive for snow a winch could still come in handy if I get in over my head (or tires as it were heh).

I hate your guts for mentioning these people. I now know they exist and will be needing so many things. My truck steering wheel is chewed up from the previous owner grinding it with his hand or something, leather shift boot sounds nice, and the console cover looks like it might fix or at least hide the crack in mine.

Reactions: Strahan
rubi_day01.png

Picked it up today! I'm a mix of happy and annoyed. I picked a friend up to ride along and we went to Enterprise this morning and they gave me a brand new Buick Lacrosse. Nice car, great for a long cruise. Got down there and was excited to see my future Jeep. Took it for a spin. The carpet isn't attached on the driver side which was annoying, my feet kept sliding. The radio volume is weird, it doesn't turn up right unless you are super gentle. That doesn't bother me, I'm replacing that POS anyway. The clutch.. OMG. I am used to my Hyundai and Honda clutches. This one has a massive amount of travel before it engages. I dunno if Jeep clutches are just that way or if it's bad. It doesn't seem to slip or anything though, it drives fine. Just took me several miles of driving to adjust to it lol.

Alas, on the way home the check engine light came on then it started to make a chattering sound. I realized too that I never tested the axle lock function. I was freaking out cuz it wasn't coming on, then I read the manual and realized one must be in 4L not 4H hehe. Once I did 4L, worked fine. I was also annoyed at the effort it takes to put the soft top on and off. The zippers are a little corroded, which made it a struggle to get them to rezip when I put the top back on. I also couldn't get the front latches to latch. I watched a YouTube video and they mentioned that problem and I felt like an idiot when they shown that you lift the one part up to extend the reach of the hook part. I had been pulling the handle part down as hard as I could while my friend leaned her weight on the top of the frame to push it down haha. Probably gonna just get a new top so I don't have to deal with corroded zippers and scratched up windows. Also sounds a little noisy from 1st to 2nd. Like metal stuff kinda clanging when I shift. Dunno if it's normal or not. I'll have to take a vid.

But on the whole, I'm stoked :) I was totally bummed when I thought the lockers were dead so when I realized the problem, having that weight lifted off me made my annoyance at the chattering sound a lot less heh. It's still pretty embarrassing though, it's noisy as hell. I took the doors off and drove around the parking lot of my storage unit a bit. I have a mirror relocation kit coming tomorrow from Quadratec, so figured I'd hold off road driving like that until then as I don't think mirrorless driving is legal around here. My friend was enjoying making a game of seeing who would Jeep wave back, she thought it was pretty fun :)

PS - is there any easy trick to removing the soft top frame from the vehicle entirely so it isn't all bunched up in the back like that when open? I see there are some torx or allen screws into the rollbars, wasn't sure if that was the right way to do it or not.