Stereo works for a few seconds, then sounds like speakers are blown

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I just went and ordered all the components for a stereo upgrade that Cris had listed in his "sticky" except the head unit. Don't know why, I like the looks of it (and don't really understand all the "bluetooth" stuff or any of the other updates either. So, I've had the Jeep for several months now and had never listened to the radio. Too busy listening for squeaks and rattles. Anyway, it works for like 1-2 seconds and then it sounds like every speaker is blown. I think this is the sub amp kicking on. So I am hoping to keep the head. 50-50 if the head is the issue or the sub speaker/amp is the issue. When replacing all the speakers to the original head do I need the amp I bought? Or will replacing the sub fix the noise (assuming the head is good) or is the sub have it's own separate amp from the factory that should be changed out? I read all 8 pages of the sticky and didnt find the answer there. Thanks guys!

funny you mention this because I was having the same problem, none the less i still haven't figured it out. When I first got the car the speakers were working good until i wanted to bump up the volume, then my sub cut off and only the speakers were playing music. I swapped the amp out and nothing different except for my sub would not receive an output from the head unit. Its super annoying just driving around with just speakers, music is just so flat without it. But I know how you feel I would assume its the head unit, but i would first tackle the amp see if you notice any changes.

Thanks its been a few decades since I've felt with stereo issues. CJs pretty much start from 0. Makes it easy.

If I end up getting a new head unit too, how much power should it provide? Is like 20 watts per channel enough?

The more the better generally (more available watts usually equals less distortion at lower levels). It's been a while since I have looked at head units, I ended up with a cheapish pioneer with no CD drive. It's super tiny, half the depth of the ones that come with a CD player. I've been pretty happy with it, I desperately need to upgrade my speakers though. I can really only use mine on the trails, jeep is too noisy on the highway for good audio quality.

Well speakers came yesterday. Had to go out and when I got home the UPS fairy had dropped off the sub amp and install kit. Supposed to be hot as hell this weekend. No A/C so I'm hoping to go out in like 15-20 minute bursts. Hope to have a report back on install soon.

Well speakers came yesterday. Had to go out and when I got home the UPS fairy had dropped off the sub amp and install kit. Supposed to be hot as hell this weekend. No A/C so I'm hoping to go out in like 15-20 minute bursts. Hope to have a report back on install soon.
keep me posted on what happens

AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!! Now I can't find Chris's sticky! 🤯I've looked all over. Can someone help this obviously half blind old man out. 😵This is crazy!😱

Now I find it on "resources" page 1😳. God I hope it's not old timer's disease🤯. Now, anybody see where I put my glasses?🤓

I don't know much about the stock head unit but if the sub loses its signal when the volume is turned up it may be an issue with the head unit.
Check grounds as well.

Well the heat finally broke. Got the back half of the center console in the living room and all pulled apart. The speaker had like 1 inch still attached to the outer frame. Yea, that'll sound like crap. So now in the process of cleaning what appears to be melted lollipops from under the cup holders and odd things stuck inside the sub enclosure. I guess the lollipop kid was working inside there. Ordered a new head unit. Nephew insisted. What all these usb mp3 stuff is supposed to do? Update soon. Waiting for UPS again.

Well the heat finally broke. Got the back half of the center console in the living room and all pulled apart. The speaker had like 1 inch still attached to the outer frame. Yea, that'll sound like crap. So now in the process of cleaning what appears to be melted lollipops from under the cup holders and odd things stuck inside the sub enclosure. I guess the lollipop kid was working inside there. Ordered a new head unit. Nephew insisted. What all these usb mp3 stuff is supposed to do? Update soon. Waiting for UPS again.

Lucky you only had sticky lollipops, the most rust on my Jeep was below the cupholder, spilled coffee rust.

Well, now I ordered a new amp for the front and pod speakers. In for a penny... plan on adding heated seat pads while the console is out. (Easier to wire it up) And since I'm doing the seats, might as well pull them out and scuff and repaint the tub too. Anything else I should get done before I put it back together?