Soundbar speaker grill

Queticon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This is an x-post from 'What did you do today...'

Seems the old plastic on the speaker grill doesn't take too well to over-tightening. A search for OEM replacement came up empty. So I designed a much more beefy replacement.

From the pic, you can see it sticks out pretty far. I've since cut off about 5mm in the model. Notice the flat, shiny surface. That's intentional. While there are 3D printers out there that can print in any orientation, most of the consumer/reprap printers print best if there is a flat surface to start with. I'm happy with how it turned out. I could get pretty creative with the grill cutouts and may do that in the future.

The thicker plastic made speaker installation very easy.

2019-11-02_19-36-21.jpg

60ad7ac5-c1a2-4839-a8e7-a47bed9d4efc.jpg

I just ordered something that looks fairly similar to this, made out of metal. Hopefully it has enough drop for the coaxial tweeter.

Reactions: Queticon
I'm amazed at what can be done in somebody's spare room today. Those 3D printers are little miracle products. 👍

Indeed! When I got into it, I used my first printer to print more printers. I know have over a dozen in my basement. :D

I just ordered something that looks fairly similar to this, made out of metal. Hopefully it has enough drop for the coaxial tweeter.

Take some pics! Would like to see what you ordered. I have a newer design that's split in the middle allowing for a more dome shaped grill.

Indeed! When I got into it, I used my first printer to print more printers. I know have over a dozen in my basement. :D
Believe it or not that is exactly what NASA is looking to do for both the moon and Mars based. Land a printer , print out bigger printers, then 3D print the whole base before people get there. How they plan to print that little mint on the pillow is the sticking point.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba and Queticon
Are you willing to print/sell a couple more?

Always willing. But here's the problem: I have a short attention span.

Best bet is to download the file I attached to this thread and send it to a service like Xometry to print it for you. Yes, I should probably get my shit together and figure out how to sell these things but...

hey look over there!

Take some pics! Would like to see what you ordered. I have a newer design that's split in the middle allowing for a more dome shaped grill.
Here ya go:
104.jpg

Tweeters REALLY hang down.

131.jpg

These "waffle" grills are prolific on eBay in various sizes. I didn't like the goofy mounting clips that came with them, so I sourced some lite fixture trim rings to hold them up.

13c.jpg

Drilled, painted, and installed. Rings are a bit flexy, but work. Clearance between grill and tweeter is probably about 1/8" or less, but its enough.

I tried to find a dome shaped grill, but wasn't successful.